Cell Phones

Upgrading to iPhone 6 without changing plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2014 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Dec 8, 2010
302 posts
15 upvotes

Upgrading to iPhone 6 without changing plan?

My 3 year contract expired last year and I want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 on a 2 year contract (4S is banged up pretty badly).. however I have no interest in changing my plan. My current plan is around $85 a month and the same features on their new "Share Everything" plan would cost me around $125 before taxes, which I have no interest in..

My question is, has anyone had any luck with upgrading to the new iPhone while maintaining your current plan? It seems they really want to phase out the 6GB/$30 plan but getting me to pay an additional ~$50 a month WHILE signing on for 2 more years is completely ridiculous. Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is with Rogers by the way.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Depends on the provider you are with..
From what I have read Rogers and Bell require you to opt in for one of there new share plans.... Telus still allows some plans to resign for a new phone
Call up your provider and see what they will do for you... No on on here is going to be able to tell you what the csr reps will do for ya
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2682 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
If your plan is $80 with just the voice and data portions (not including voice mails, call display or value packs or anything like that), you might be able to get a rep who will upgrade.
Dec 8, 2010
302 posts
15 upvotes
They didn't do to much.. 6GB data, unlimited texting and calling, and everything else for $95... + $5 for visual voicemail + taxes and fees... regularly $125 before tax
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
I pay $110/month before tax for that. So only a $15 saving.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
jgaspar89 wrote: They didn't do to much.. 6GB data, unlimited texting and calling, and everything else for $95... + $5 for visual voicemail + taxes and fees... regularly $125 before tax
That is insanity !!!!!!!
What provider are you with and you really need a new phone right now... I would bet things will ease up in a few months when the Iphone rush is over with
There call centers must be getting pounded right now with everyone calling in looking for a deal on that shiny new Iphone
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
OP, can you confirm from your latest post that you're saying you must upgrade your plan when doing a hardware upgrade? I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm on a plan that's $77 after taxes. Wouldn't be worth it for me to get the phone through a HUP if I'm paying $40-50 more a month.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Yodums wrote: OP, can you confirm from your latest post that you're saying you must upgrade your plan when doing a hardware upgrade? I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm on a plan that's $77 after taxes. Wouldn't be worth it for me to get the phone through a HUP if I'm paying $40-50 more a month.
They will ask you to get new plan
if you want to keep your plan, buy the phone outright
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 8, 2010
302 posts
15 upvotes
shushwap wrote: That is insanity !!!!!!!
What provider are you with and you really need a new phone right now... I would bet things will ease up in a few months when the Iphone rush is over with
There call centers must be getting pounded right now with everyone calling in looking for a deal on that shiny new Iphone
My 4S has a smashed screen so I'd like to get a new phone ASAP... Not really interested in going over to Android even if I can grab a Nexus 5 for $300 or whatever it is. And I don't know, with the contracts going down to 2 years it seems like the big 3 are really cracking down on you switching your grandfathered plans to their new (ridiculously priced) Share Everything plans...
Yodums wrote: OP, can you confirm from your latest post that you're saying you must upgrade your plan when doing a hardware upgrade? I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm on a plan that's $77 after taxes. Wouldn't be worth it for me to get the phone through a HUP if I'm paying $40-50 more a month.
Yup, if you don't have a "Share Everything" plan you're required to change to one if you want the phone at a subsidized price on a 2 year contract. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, but I'll try calling again tomorrow.. May be worth buying the phone outright but I don't think I could justify spending $1,000 on a phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
I doubt they are going to do much for you as I stated earlier everyone and there donkey is calling in looking for a new phone... I would wait a couple of months and call again...
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
jgaspar89 wrote: They didn't do to much.. 6GB data, unlimited texting and calling, and everything else for $95... + $5 for visual voicemail + taxes and fees... regularly $125 before tax
Did you bite?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2013
1066 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
I have an iphone 6 reserved and wanted to straighten out my plan before picking it up. I currently have $25 voice plus $30 for 6gb data. Monthly has to be $60 before add ons for any any existing Fido customer or you will have to take a max plan which is crazy expensive. Called Fido today and talked to retentions (my contract ends Feb 2015) and upgraded voice to $35 plus keeping $30 for 6gb data. I was told I have an existing $5 credit ending June 2016 so my monthly now is $60 on 2-yr contract, ECF and HU waived.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Kayceern wrote: I have an iphone 6 reserved and wanted to straighten out my plan before picking it up. I currently have $25 voice plus $30 for 6gb data. Monthly has to be $60 before add ons for any any existing Fido customer or you will have to take a max plan which is crazy expensive. Called Fido today and talked to retentions (my contract ends Feb 2015) and upgraded voice to $35 plus keeping $30 for 6gb data. I was told I have an existing $5 credit ending June 2016 so my monthly now is $60 on 2-yr contract, ECF and HU waived.
God damn I pay $90 for what you have less 4gb data. I need to work on my negotiation tactics
Dec 8, 2010
302 posts
15 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Did you bite?
Nope. Not good enough for me, I know this is the only time for the next 2 years that I'll have any leverage so I don't plan on signing unless I think it's worth it.
Kayceern wrote: I have an iphone 6 reserved and wanted to straighten out my plan before picking it up. I currently have $25 voice plus $30 for 6gb data. Monthly has to be $60 before add ons for any any existing Fido customer or you will have to take a max plan which is crazy expensive. Called Fido today and talked to retentions (my contract ends Feb 2015) and upgraded voice to $35 plus keeping $30 for 6gb data. I was told I have an existing $5 credit ending June 2016 so my monthly now is $60 on 2-yr contract, ECF and HU waived.
Well done... I was pretty firm and retentions wasn't biting, other than offering me the $30 discount. Perhaps I should get you to call in for me.... haha
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2013
1066 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
jgaspar89 wrote: Well done... I was pretty firm and retentions wasn't biting, other than offering me the $30 discount. Perhaps I should get you to call in for me.... haha
I actually didnt have to do any asking or begging. They offered it to me no problem. I was going to threaten to cancel but it didn't need to get to that. Perhaps it was my lucky day.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
jgaspar89 wrote: My 3 year contract expired last year and I want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 on a 2 year contract (4S is banged up pretty badly).. however I have no interest in changing my plan. My current plan is around $85 a month and the same features on their new "Share Everything" plan would cost me around $125 before taxes, which I have no interest in..

My question is, has anyone had any luck with upgrading to the new iPhone while maintaining your current plan? It seems they really want to phase out the 6GB/$30 plan but getting me to pay an additional ~$50 a month WHILE signing on for 2 more years is completely ridiculous. Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is with Rogers by the way.
Yes I uograde to new phone and stll have a 6gb plan (bell)
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
nasa25 wrote: God damn I pay $90 for what you have less 4gb data. I need to work on my negotiation tactics
I only pay $45+tax for 6gb unlimited call/txt cw vm/cid :)
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1434 posts
1395 upvotes
Toronto
I have two lines on the 6GB/$30 plan. My monthly cost for each line is +$80. Talked to Rogers Retention 3 times and every time they insisted that I could not keep my current plan if I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 6. The best "loyalty offer" they came up with was ridiculous: Continue to pay more than $80 but cutting my 6GB to 3GB and remove visual VM and other features? NO THANKS ROGERS ! I am moving to a Telus Corporate Offer: iPhone 6 with 6GB of data plus basic VM features, U/L SMS and 300min talk for $50/mo on a 3 yr commitment (yes three yrs) ... the best part of all this is to finally leave Rogers ....
Dec 19, 2008
746 posts
142 upvotes
For Rogers Consumer plans, if you want any kind of subsidy from them (Hardware Upgrade Program) then you will need to have your monthly bill come out to $80 or more. If it's not already more you can keep it. If not, you have to sign up for a new plan.

For Rogers Corporate plans, that drops down to $60 minimum monthly. The rest still applies.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1434 posts
1395 upvotes
Toronto
kwanja wrote: For Rogers Consumer plans, if you want any kind of subsidy from them (Hardware Upgrade Program) then you will need to have your monthly bill come out to $80 or more. If it's not already more you can keep it. If not, you have to sign up for a new plan.

For Rogers Corporate plans, that drops down to $60 minimum monthly. The rest still applies.
That is INCORRECT. I am well above the $80 mark and Rogers won't let me keep my plan even though Retention themselves admitted that $80 is more than enough to subsidize a new Iphone 6. They keep telling me that BS about how they "simplify they plans" and "add value for the customer" ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)