Cell Phones

Upgrading phone - Switching between 2 phones back and forth with same sim? (Virgin)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2012 12:56 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 8, 2011
128 posts
6 upvotes

Upgrading phone - Switching between 2 phones back and forth with same sim? (Virgin)

I currently have a Samsung Gravity Touch with Virgin on a Talk and Text Choice Plan which now also includes pay per use data (between 5$ for less than 25mb and 30$ for up to 3Gb) but I also have an Unlimited Mobile Browsing option in a 36month contract that ends this spring. I am eligible for a phone upgrade.

I am thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 elsewhere and maybe getting it unlocked so I can switch between phones when I go snowboarding (would bring the old phone then) or do other activities where the phone is more at risk. Is this even possible?

Or can I do it legit with Virgin (get a phone upgrade with them) and tell them I want to keep both phones to switch between the two once in a while?

Open to suggestions on other phones as well.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1930 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
If you are saying, you want to use 2 phones and swap 1 sim back and forth between them, then yea, it will work as you described. If you are getting the Virgin Samsung Galaxy S2 deal thats going on for $50+$150tab-$100GC, you don't need to unlock at all since both phones are from Virgin. However, if you are getting the phone elsewhere from different carrier, yes it does need to be unlocked which can be done for free.
× < >