Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2751 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ROYinTO wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:21 am
I thought that might be the case.
I don't understand why he just can't give a straight answer but will spend 10 minutes crafting a reply that tells you basically nothing.

My guess is the $1 part he is referring to is a fuse.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2292 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:37 am
As was I, a circuit breaker would be more expensive.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2751 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ROYinTO wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:49 am
As was I, a circuit breaker would be more expensive.
Tube fuse is cheap and easy to replace. But I think they stopped using them in power supplies because there is still a decent charge in the capicators that could give you a decent zap or even kill you. Touch the wrong thing and goodnight Roy
Jan 10, 2017
308 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
Such a fight I'm not gonna join or read.
To be useful to OP, hooking up your modem and router to your ups is a great use case. If power dies your cell phones and laptops can still have internet.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Jul 6, 2009
223 posts
33 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:00 am
I'd prefer you answer the question.
The question is answered with what is always required - reasons why.

No valid relationship exists between your question and what provides protection. Choose if you want spin, hearsay, and propaganda (a soundbyte). Or want an honest and technical answer. A useful answer begins with four paragraphs necessary to understand an answer.

No magic box solution exists. Especially not in a UPS or power strip protector. Those four paragraphs, that make obvious why, also explain what does best protection for about $1 per protected appliance.
Jul 6, 2009
223 posts
33 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:37 am
Rather than guess, why not instead learn? No fuse protects from surges. Parameters for fuses and circuit breaker make that obvious.

The informed spend abut $1 per appliance for protection even from direct lightning strikes. For protection that remains functional for decades and after multiple direct lightning strikes. Obviously that is not a fuse.

However so many want to argue; keep posting urban myths and technical lies (often promoted by advertising). Nobody has yet asked to learn.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3791 upvotes
westom wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:13 pm
Rather than guess, why not instead learn? No fuse protects from surges. Parameters for fuses and circuit breaker make that obvious.

The informed spend abut $1 per appliance for protection even from direct lightning strikes. For protection that remains functional for decades and after multiple direct lightning strikes. Obviously that is not a fuse.

However so many want to argue; keep posting urban myths and technical lies (often promoted by advertising). Nobody has yet asked to learn.
I want to learn. Can you please tell us about this $1 device?
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jul 6, 2009
223 posts
33 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:22 pm
I want to learn. Can you please tell us about this $1 device?
Start with what defines protection. Lightning seeks earth ground. A 20,000 amp electric surge is via a wooden church steeple destructively to earth. Wood is not a good conductor. So 20,000 amps creates a high voltage. 20,000 amps times a high voltage is high energy. Church steeple damaged.

Franklin installed a lightning rod. Now 20,000 amps is via a wire to an earthing electrode. High current creates near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times a near zero voltage is near zero energy. Structure undamaged.

Lightning seeks earth ground. A lightning strike to utility wires far down the street is a direct strike, incoming to every household appliance; destructively to earth. Appliances are not a good conductor. So lightning creates a high voltage. Lightning current times a high voltage dissipates high energy. Appliances damaged.

For over 100 years, facilities that cannot have damage installed superior earthing connected low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) via a 'whole house' protector to an earthing electrode. Then high current creates near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times a near zero voltage is near zero energy. Superior protection already inside appliances is not overwhelmed.

That well proven 'whole house' solution costs about $1 per protected appliance. It is provided by companies known for integrity including Intermatic, Square D, Ditek, Siemens, Polyphaser (an industry benchmark), Syscom, Leviton, ABB, Delta, Erico, General Electric, and Cutler-Hammer (Eaton).

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. Above four paragraphs define that. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. What requires most of your attention? Only 'system' component that must always exist - a low impedance connection to earth ground.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1451 posts
432 upvotes
I'm sorry, but TTLR.

What's the answer for $1 protection?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3791 upvotes
westom wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:47 pm
Start with what defines protection. Lightning seeks earth ground. A 20,000 amp electric surge is via a wooden church steeple destructively to earth. Wood is not a good conductor. So 20,000 amps creates a high voltage. 20,000 amps times a high voltage is high energy. Church steeple damaged.

Franklin installed a lightning rod. Now 20,000 amps is via a wire to an earthing electrode. High current creates near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times a near zero voltage is near zero energy. Structure undamaged.

Lightning seeks earth ground. A lightning strike to utility wires far down the street is a direct strike, incoming to every household appliance; destructively to earth. Appliances are not a good conductor. So lightning creates a high voltage. Lightning current times a high voltage dissipates high energy. Appliances damaged.

For over 100 years, facilities that cannot have damage installed superior earthing connected low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) via a 'whole house' protector to an earthing electrode. Then high current creates near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times a near zero voltage is near zero energy. Superior protection already inside appliances is not overwhelmed.

That well proven 'whole house' solution costs about $1 per protected appliance. It is provided by companies known for integrity including Intermatic, Square D, Ditek, Siemens, Polyphaser (an industry benchmark), Syscom, Leviton, ABB, Delta, Erico, General Electric, and Cutler-Hammer (Eaton).

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. Above four paragraphs define that. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. What requires most of your attention? Only 'system' component that must always exist - a low impedance connection to earth ground.
Ok so I read all that but I still don't feel that you have actually directly said what we need to buy. Do we need to purchase and install a lightning rod? Because that's my best guess based on what you just wrote.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jul 6, 2009
223 posts
33 upvotes
Please detail your question. What are you asking?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1451 posts
432 upvotes
it feels like I'm talking to some practitioner of Chinese medicine - ask them a question and they use phrases that sound good but makes no sense in hopes that you stop asking.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3791 upvotes
westom wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:53 pm
Please detail your question. What are you asking?
Ok I will share something with you. I have a near genius IQ. I have multiple university degrees and a great job. I know for a fact that I am a very good learner. School was always very easy for me. However you are clearly a horrible teacher. You have been asked the same thing multiple times by multiple people. So I am not going to give you the satisfaction of asking again, this is clearly a game to you. I now completely 100% understand the frustration of others in this thread, along with the downvotes. My apologies, guys. This guy is trolling all of us.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jul 6, 2009
223 posts
33 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:57 pm
it feels like I'm talking to some practitioner of Chinese medicine -
Your question was gobbelty gook. Do you want an answer? Then write a question with cohesive and coherent sentences. Rather than get angry, correct and repost a coherent question. (incoherent post corrected)
Last edited by westom on Jul 20th, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.