Shopping Discussion

UPS charging me brokerage fee AFTER I rejected the parcel!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2013 11:03 am
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2007
42 posts
7 upvotes
For all those who use UPS and any other courier company, as the importer, you have the right to request the shipping documents and go to your local CBSA office to self clear your shipments. You will not be exempt from paying duty and tax on your items but you will avoid the brokerage fee since they are no longer processing on your behalf. If the courier company tries to tell you that you can not do that, they are wrong.

CBSA D-memo D17-4-0:
56. If an importer wishes to account for the goods himself or herself, the courier does not release the shipment to the importer but holds the goods until the importer presents satisfactory proof that the appropriate duties and taxes have been paid directly to the CBSA. The importer must note the unique shipment identifier number and contact the courier to determine where the goods are held in a bonded warehouse until the release is effected.
Feb 4, 2011
705 posts
489 upvotes
OP does not have a contract with Ups. Ups cannot enforce anything if the package is not delivered. Op did not authorize Ups to pay the duties
Dec 18, 2007
42 posts
7 upvotes
I agree. If the package is refused, UPS gets a full refund of all duty and tax paid to CBSA anyway.