Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Sep 11, 2008
404 posts
4 upvotes

UPS Clearance Question

If an item is coming in and clears from, say Vancouver, but I'm in Toronto, can I clear it here, or would I need to go to Vancouver?
Mortgage Agent Licence M08006899
Mortgage Brokerage Licence 11157
2 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2798 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
confused student wrote:
Jan 31st, 2009 10:31 am
If an item is coming in and clears from, say Vancouver, but I'm in Toronto, can I clear it here, or would I need to go to Vancouver?
My understanding is that the item has to be cleared at the point of entry. For delivery to the GTA, Windsor seems to be the most common point of entry from the US for UPS items. But I have had a number of items clear at Fort Erie that originated from the east coast of the US.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
You cannot clear goods once they have been shipped and marked as UPS clearing them, it's too late.
It is the person shipping the box who marks down on the paperwork who is doing the customs clearance and only the shipper can change it, not you. The shipper always controls the package until you receive it.

Now if a package for Toronto arrives in Vancouver I don't think it matters. If the shipper has marked it for you to do the clearing then UPS is going to call you and tell you to come get the paperwork to take to Canada Customs. Everything is electronic so they can no doubt print the paperwork in Toronto for you to take to customs in Toronto and have it stamped and cleared. You take it back to the UPS Toronto depot and they'll release the package in Vancouver for furtherance to Toronto and your delivery.
However I think what they probably do is just ship the thing not cleared "In Bond" right to Toronto to await your getting the paper work cleared and then give you the package.
Call them and see.. they charge a lot to clear goods and it's not difficult for anyone to do..just the hassle of taking the paperwork back and forth from them to Customs and back...might not be worth the time and gas and parking depending on where they are located.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28