Shopping Discussion

UPS Duty Rapage - Anything I can do now?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2011 3:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2152 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Looks like you got lucky. Usually the only one time option is to pay their fees. Now that you know, I wouldn't count on that option being availible a second time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
ES_Revenge wrote: As said, most people find out the hard way--when they get something shipped and get slapped with the charges.
Quite true, but it's funny how people have no problem finding their way here to post about what happened to them after the fact, but somehow they never seem to have previously noticed all the posts here from other people complaining about UPS.
Mar 3, 2008
459 posts
53 upvotes
rob187 wrote: To do your own brokerage you have to go to the customs office where the package entered. Most likely this would be Windsor or Sarnia. Looks like OP is in London so thats still a bit of a drive to save a few bucks. Basically, you were overcharged $34 because you didn't do your homework on UPS Ground into Canada. Now you know, so you can encorperate the brokerage fees next time you look at buying an item. Also note the post office is $5 + 13%tax so even if the initial shipping rate is a few dollars more, the overall fees may be cheaper. UPS seems to be safer than USPS though.. I've recieved some boxes that were completely destroyed from USPS (luckily only car stereo power cable and the other was a laptop backpack). My items weren't damaged.. but if it was something breakable they sure would have been. Theres a lot of factors to consider when shipping from the states.

Neither the OP nor anyone else should ever have to 'do homework' to avoid being scammed with illegitimate hidden charges sprung upon them without their knowledge or consent - which is exactly what UPS' and other courier companies' so-called 'brokerage' charges are. The onus must be on the scamming courier companies to make their charges clear, upfront, and consented to before they are charged to any consumer.

It is amazing that scams like that are legal. They should have been declared illegal many years ago. I presume nobody has court-challenged these scamming practices, because they certainly are not just.

The post office often doesn't charge $5 even though they can, and most sellers mark items as gifts, which are not charged tax either.

UPS is not safer than USPS.

There is no reason to ever 'do your own brokerage.' Instead, always ship via USPS and avoid doing businesses with courier companies like the plague that they are.

stevenma188 wrote:
Any ideas on what I can do about it? Any suggestions on how to deal with this one?

The ideal thing to do would be to hire legal counsel and sue their scamming butts.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
angryconsumer wrote:
It is amazing that scams like that are legal. They should have been declared illegal many years ago. I presume nobody has court-challenged these scamming practices, because they certainly are not just.

There is no reason to ever 'do your own brokerage.' Instead, always ship via USPS and avoid doing businesses with courier companies like the plague that they are.

legally each individual importing items to canada have the right to perform your own brokerage. if you not tell them or pay the duties when the package arrives it is your fault for not knowing the laws in canada. you cannot say to a judge you did not know the laws and expect to get away with it.
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
12 upvotes
stevenma188 wrote: So last week I ordered a set of Audio Technica ATH M50 headphones from ebay. Total was $119.50 + $18.50 S&H.

That's all fine and dandy until today, when I got a shipping slip from UPS. It listed that i owed $59.92 in duties.

WTF!!!!!

Any ideas on what I can do about it? Any suggestions on how to deal with this one?

If you had looked in the Ebay 'Buyer Discussion Forum' before buying or bidding, the very first post (sticky) is "CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!"
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
angryconsumer wrote: The ideal thing to do would be to hire legal counsel and sue their scamming butts.

A class action was already tried and was not certified
http://www.poynerbaxter.com/UPS.htm

UPS makes their rates well known on their website, when you are choosing a shipping option on a retailer website you are purchasing a product. The information on that product is available for those who want to know more. This is the conclusion the court also came to, that there is substantial information available to the consumer about these charges on the UPS website.

I guess you could sue again, but then you would be paying for UPS's lawyers when you loose plus brokerage.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
5 upvotes
I agree - UPS gang raped my a$$ on an order - 60US - they charge me $40 in Duties/Brokerage fees, NEVER GO WITH UPS ....
BTW Did Bell increase their rates - was paying 35 for landline phone with extras, now its $40 more, tempted just to ditch em.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2152 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
angryconsumer wrote: Neither the OP nor anyone else should ever have to 'do homework' to avoid being scammed with illegitimate hidden charges sprung upon them without their knowledge or consent
I don't agree with UPS but I don't blame them either. If you google "canada customs clearance" their rates are clearly posted on the first page result. A lot of the time it is actually cheaper shipping ground than their worldwide services even with all fees added in.

Technically its the eBay sellers fault. If they ship to Canada via UPS ground then they should clearly post that COD fees apply to every shipment and the fee table can be found here: (link). Good sellers do post this, I've seen it many times.

I ordered some spark plug wires awhile back and learned my lesson about UPS brokerage. If you are moving goods across international borders you need to do your homework on the fees that apply.

What do you think would happen if you drive over to the states and buy a trunk full of cigarette's and liquor? Once you hit the Canadian border be prepared to pay a ton of money in fees and taxes that nobody told you about.
May 18, 2005
373 posts
21 upvotes
rob187 wrote: I don't agree with UPS but I don't blame them either. If you google "canada customs clearance" their rates are clearly posted on the first page result. A lot of the time it is actually cheaper shipping ground than their worldwide services even with all fees added in.

Technically its the eBay sellers fault. If they ship to Canada via UPS ground then they should clearly post that COD fees apply to every shipment and the fee table can be found here: (link). Good sellers do post this, I've seen it many times.

I ordered some spark plug wires awhile back and learned my lesson about UPS brokerage. If you are moving goods across international borders you need to do your homework on the fees that apply.

What do you think would happen if you drive over to the states and buy a trunk full of cigarette's and liquor? Once you hit the Canadian border be prepared to pay a ton of money in fees and taxes that nobody told you about.

Actually smokes & booze would be gone along with your car!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2008
1329 posts
320 upvotes
Markham
You got STALLOWNED! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2570 posts
461 upvotes
Ojam wrote: Well it's not like this information is not available, or even hidden, it's right out there in plain sight.
Yes, but if you're buying something from the US for the first time, how do you know there's something to even look up, in terms of being stuck with ridiculous brokerage charges by UPS?
Aug 21, 2009
20 posts
Kitchener
InvisibleSoul wrote: Yes, but if you're buying something from the US for the first time, how do you know there's something to even look up, in terms of being stuck with ridiculous brokerage charges by UPS?

You do your due diligence and ask someone or try to find out yourself.

Ignorance is not an excuse. You cannot go to another country and go rape, pillage, steal, break their laws just because you do not know the laws in said country.

It really is common sense.
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
angryconsumer wrote: ...It is amazing that scams like that are legal. They should have been declared illegal many years ago. I presume nobody has court-challenged these scamming practices, because they certainly are not just...

You're funny, triying to combine just and legal in one sentence :lol: that doesn't work, they're two totally different entities and for most part incompatible ;)
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Mar 31, 2009
237 posts
8 upvotes
I refuse to use UPS and still got screwed by them. I had sent a digital picture frame back to the company in the US for a warranty repair. They sent it back UPS and it was just left at my door - I didn't sign for it. Two weeks later I get an invoice from them for duty. I called them and pointed out that the paper work clearly stated it was a warranty return. They said that the paperwork had been incorrectly filled out and I should contact the company and they can redo the paperwork. I told them to go to hell. I didn't have anything to do with the shipping and it was their responsibility to call the company. Sure enough they started calling and threatened to go to a collection agency. I finally called the company who sent it and they paid the duty but I had to fax them the information because UPS wouldn't deal directly with the company that sent the package. It was only $10 but it sure pissed me off and I wasn't going to pay it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
asennad wrote: I refuse to use UPS and still got screwed by them. I had sent a digital picture frame back to the company in the US for a warranty repair. They sent it back UPS and it was just left at my door - I didn't sign for it. Two weeks later I get an invoice from them for duty. I called them and pointed out that the paper work clearly stated it was a warranty return. They said that the paperwork had been incorrectly filled out and I should contact the company and they can redo the paperwork. I told them to go to hell. I didn't have anything to do with the shipping and it was their responsibility to call the company. Sure enough they started calling and threatened to go to a collection agency. I finally called the company who sent it and they paid the duty but I had to fax them the information because UPS wouldn't deal directly with the company that sent the package. It was only $10 but it sure pissed me off and I wasn't going to pay it.

Firstly, you paid sales tax, not duties. Secondly, UPS doesn't choose to impose a sales tax on your shipment. Thirdly, the repair company should have sent a commercial invoice for $0 for the item with the package. I dealt with UPS and Logitech in the US for a warranty replacement to my mouse that's worth $100US retail and I wasn't charged any tax or brokerage by UPS using Standard.