• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2018 7:46 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2012
246 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga

UPS Mailbox When Registering Corporation

I'm in the middle of registering my corporation online and it is requesting an address that is not a P.O. box. However, I'm not thrilled with the lack of privacy it will bring if I use my home address (because I know from experience my name and address will be displayed on the internet, as the location of my corporation).
UPS mailboxes are disguised as street addresses, but if I use one as the location of my corporation, will breaking the rules create an issue with my corporation?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2287 posts
423 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yes, not sure its even allowed legally but even if ypu can do that by some fake ups mail box, it will not be in the spirit of law.
Registered address should be a brick and mortar place where all your legal corporation documents are kept and can be accessed.
If you are so paranoid about using your address then please go rent a place. If thats not possible , don't open a corporation. My basic assumption is that you are not doing any illegal activities through your corporation.
[OP]
May 4, 2012
246 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for your advice. And no, I'm not doing anything illegal.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1457 posts
910 upvotes
Montreal
Asker123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 6:41 pm
If you are so paranoid about using your address then please go rent a place.
That doesn't help since you have to reveal your shareholder's and director's addresses.

Unfortunately, the law is moving in a direction where all privacy is stripped from private individuals while more and more government action can remain shrouded in secrecy.

The only way to fix this is at the ballot box.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2287 posts
423 upvotes
Winnipeg
FrancisBacon wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:06 am
That doesn't help since you have to reveal your shareholder's and director's addresses.

Unfortunately, the law is moving in a direction where all privacy is stripped from private individuals while more and more government action can remain shrouded in secrecy.

The only way to fix this is at the ballot box.
Dont get me wrong. I am all in for secrecy and yes I also believe that there need to be more trasperancy and clarity in Government's and biger organization's dealings .
However these letter box addresses for corporations even smaller ones really need to be discouraged
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1457 posts
910 upvotes
Montreal
Asker123 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:29 am
However these letter box addresses for corporations even smaller ones really need to be discouraged
I don't see why, nor do I see an absolute need for every director of every corporation to be named and have his address public.

Rather, the public could chose whether or not to be business with a corporation with one factor being whether or not they disclosed this or that information.

Eg: buying antibiotics? Yes, I would only buy from fully documented corporations.

Buying paper clips? Cardboard boxes? Leather belts? I don't care who made them.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2287 posts
423 upvotes
Winnipeg
FrancisBacon wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:17 am
I don't see why, nor do I see an absolute need for every director of every corporation to be named and have his address public.

Rather, the public could chose whether or not to be business with a corporation with one factor being whether or not they disclosed this or that information.

Eg: buying antibiotics? Yes, I would only buy from fully documented corporations.

Buying paper clips? Cardboard boxes? Leather belts? I don't care who made them.
Hmmm Interesting perspective. Sorry I did not thought that way. Perhaps OP's situation is same.
However I would not suggest OP to do a letter box company. You never know if authorities come after him. Better do things right the first time.
[OP]
May 4, 2012
246 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm from a much older generation that valued their privacy. I have an unlisted telephone number. I use a pseudonym here on the RFD forum - I don't come right out use my real name as my ID. When I register a URL, I use the privacy function (I made the mistake only once of not doing so more than 5 years ago, and I STILL get unwanted solicitations from people who obviously bought my name and info on a mailing list somewhere). It's just a question of privacy overall.
However I know that times have changed. This generation does not have the same boundaries. And that is fine. These days not only is your name exposed on FaceBook, but it seems your entire life is rolled out for everyone to see. I'm not used to that level of exposure.
So if my name and my corporation address (being my home address) are splashed on the internet (which they would be), then it would be very easy to identify me and find me. I have an entirely unique name. There is no mistaking that I'm the only person with my name. And that totally reduces my old-school concept of privacy.
I would have no objection to the government, my competitors, and even my customers having my home address. I just don't see a need for every human being on the face of the planet having it.