• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2020 11:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes

UPS Missing Package where signature was required

Hello,

just starting school and I ordered a new MacBook. The email confirmation shows the MacBook was to come on Sep 4-5 but I got an email showing it was delivered today at 1. I had an appointment today (drive Ontario after yesterday's hell where their systems were down) but nothing was on my doorsteps when I got back. Also, apple email shows signature required but UPS only shows left at "Rear door".

I am fearful that it might be stolen because I live near a very busy road and on Monday when my Beats headphone (came with the mac as a promo) arrived the guy just left it at the front door. No knock and only noticed when his truck was leaving. I am sh**ting myself now I can't afford to lose this much money. Should I wait until the 4-5 when apple said it would be here and does the longer the time hurt my case? Kinda panicking now this is a lot of my I saved and can't afford to lose nearly 2k. Really regret buying it now.

Edit update:

Getting a replacement was no hassle.

But it got worse... I can't believe it. I tried getting a cheaper version to save an extra buck. Went to the Apple store they said because it was the replacement I would have to return it using UPS and not the Apple Store. After they get the replacement they would give me the refund/store credit. Found out that I am not getting a refund/store credit. Asked ok can I get have my replacement they said NOOO. Can not believe it. So know I am more screwed. They said because the original was deliver and (even thou it was not signed for) I would be getting jack. I asked so why did you sent a replacement. She just said it was their call. Now I have to file a police report to find who stole the package. The worst experience of my life. What worse was I bought some cool mac accessories. Why is this so painful???

Also, can I do a chargeback and get the call recording with the Apple reps?
Last edited by raptorpastor on Sep 11th, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
22 replies
Dec 26, 2010
44 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
Man, all this online ordering, shipping screws up is getting out of hand. You think these companies would come up with a better idea. Like ship to one of their stores for pick up only. Or do a deal with a courier where they'll ship to the nearest pickup point with signature/id.

All these missing package posts could be easily fixed.*
Last edited by aero_gb on Aug 30th, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6990 posts
7375 upvotes
Vancouver
aero_gb wrote: Man, all this online ordering, shipping screws up is getting out of hand. You think these companies would come up with a better idea. Like ship to one of their stores for pick up only. Or do a deal with a courier where they'll ship to the nearest pickup point with signature/id.

All these missing package posts would be avoided.
Seems like every day there is another one of these threads. With so much drop & dash going on, I just won't chance it anymore, especially being in such a high foot traffic area where probably 100 people per day walk within a metre of my front door. I just don't chance it and won't order stuff for home delivery anymore. I get it all sent to the post office using flexdelivery. I worked as a courier 20 years ago and delivering anything by drop & dash back then was unthinkable. Sad to see the state of affairs today.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8372 posts
2337 upvotes
Mississauga
You need to contact Apple since they are the shipper. Let them deal with UPS.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13401 posts
13791 upvotes
Oakville
raptorpastor wrote: Hello,

just starting school and I ordered a new MacBook. The email confirmation shows the MacBook was to come on Sep 4-5 but I got an email showing it was delivered today at 1. I had an appointment today (drive Ontario after yesterday's hell where their systems were down) but nothing was on my doorsteps when I got back. Also, apple email shows signature required but UPS only shows left at "Rear door".

I am fearful that it might be stolen because I live near a very busy road and on Monday when my Beats headphone (came with the mac as a promo) arrived the guy just left it at the front door. No knock and only noticed when his truck was leaving. I am sh**ting myself now I can't afford to lose this much money. Should I wait until the 4-5 when apple said it would be here and does the longer the time hurt my case? Kinda panicking now this is a lot of my I saved and can't afford to lose nearly 2k. Really regret buying it now.
Don't worry, you won't be on the hook because you didn't sign for it. UPS will pay Apple for the lost package and they'll ship you a new one.
Have you looked up the UPS tracking number to see if there is a signature on file? Maybe someone you know signed for it?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6776 posts
3193 upvotes
Alberta
aero_gb wrote: Man, all this online ordering, shipping screws up is getting out of hand. You think these companies would come up with a better idea. Like ship to one of their stores for pick up only. Or do a deal with a courier where they'll ship to the nearest pickup point with signature/id.

All these missing package posts could be easily fixed.*
We had a package delivered by UPS yesterday that requires a signature. UPS driver rang the door and by the time my daughter went downstairs to answer the door, the driver left the box on the doorstep and was already back at his truck. What a joke, no one signed for it and what if nobody was home.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1879 posts
1984 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP hasn't responded, I think they may have shat themselves to death
[OP]
Aug 29, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes
lol. Still here. Called them they said they would do an investigation and I would find out in two-three business days.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes
blackston3 wrote: OP hasn't responded, I think they may have shat themselves to death
lol. Still here. Called them they said they would do an investigation and I would find out in two-three business days.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5760 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
raptorpastor wrote: Hello,

The last time, I brought an iPhone vis apple online, as soon as the UPS guy delivered the item, Apple CSR called me on my phone and verify if I indeed received the iPhone.
Dec 18, 2017
637 posts
307 upvotes
London, On
hvwozq wrote: Apple's website says signature required, but they do not ask UPS to get a signature, so it is not UPS' problem.
This is pretty much it. Most couriers default to no signature required on residential deliveries. If a signature is required, it needs to be noted on the shipping label and the shipper also pays a fee to require a signature. If this was done and the driver left it, then UPS is at fault.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes
djeffery wrote: This is pretty much it. Most couriers default to no signature required on residential deliveries. If a signature is required, it needs to be noted on the shipping label and the shipper also pays a fee to require a signature. If this was done and the driver left it, then UPS is at fault.
Yup. It got resolved picked up a new one this week from the store. Will try to void buying expensive toys online if it can be done at the store.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3457 posts
2090 upvotes
Vancouver
raptorpastor wrote: Yup. It got resolved picked up a new one this week from the store. Will try to void buying expensive toys online if it can be done at the store.
If it’s shipped by Canada post, flex delivery also works pretty well. It’s a hassle to pick it up if the post office is far but for more expensive items, at least you avoid the hassle of trying to find/claim a lost package. I have being using that more and more lately due to so many reports of missing packages.