• Nov 8th, 2016 10:56 pm
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
219 posts
238 upvotes
Beaverland

UPS Outrageous Brokerage fees!!!?

Hello.

I sold an item on eBay recently and the buyer decided to return it, he uses UPS for the return and labelled the package as a return but today I saw a notification that I need to pay some fees.

I called UPS they said I need to pay the brokerage fees and they are not refundable, they said that I won't be paying any CBSA fees though.

What the hell? I've never paid anything for a return before especially as the seller..

Any help please?
Last edited by s7evin on Oct 27th, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
Did you put Buyer responsible for all shipping fees for return? if so just take it out of his refund and call it a day.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
219 posts
238 upvotes
Beaverland
neverhaveiever wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:00 pm
Did you put Buyer responsible for all shipping fees for return? if so just take it out of his refund and call it a day.
He paid for the return since he changed his mind about what he ordered..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
s7evin wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:07 pm
neverhaveiever wrote:
The brokerage fee is part of that return fee. Charge the buyer, easy peasy.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
219 posts
238 upvotes
Beaverland
neverhaveiever wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:14 pm
s7evin wrote:
neverhaveiever wrote:
I'm afraid a negative feedback will follow..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
s7evin wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:30 pm
neverhaveiever wrote:
s7evin wrote:

Can a buyer leave feedback on a returned item? I did not think they could. Try contacting eBay and see if they allow it. I don't see a problem with it, but you can cover your behind by following up with eBay
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
219 posts
238 upvotes
Beaverland
neverhaveiever wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:40 pm
s7evin wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:30 pm
neverhaveiever wrote:

Can a buyer leave feedback on a returned item? I did not think they could. Try contacting eBay and see if they allow it. I don't see a problem with it, but you can cover your behind by following up with eBay
Thanks I will give it a try.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12620 posts
3649 upvotes
Ottawa
that sucks, they shouldn't have charged you anything since it's a return. UPS is really the crappiest company ever.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Banned
Oct 20, 2016
235 posts
139 upvotes
ups,they do though allow you to pay by cheque if cash or credit card not available

note, ups and the other courier companies are allowed to do there own customs clearance of a few seconds and are not subject to a restriction on the customs clearance cost.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
219 posts
238 upvotes
Beaverland
neverhaveiever wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 8:36 am
any luck?
Unfortunately buyer managed to get a full refund but eBay customer service said they are going to look into it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
s7evin wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 12:46 am
neverhaveiever wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 8:36 am
any luck?
Unfortunately buyer managed to get a full refund but eBay customer service said they are going to look into it.
sorry to hear.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20376 posts
4332 upvotes
Poormond Hill
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 8:51 am
that sucks, they shouldn't have charged you anything since it's a return. UPS is really the crappiest company ever.
How would UPS know it is a return? If everyone marked returned on the package, what are the odds they will believe it?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12620 posts
3649 upvotes
Ottawa
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 4:25 am
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 8:51 am
How would UPS know it is a return? If everyone marked returned on the package, what are the odds they will believe it?
When I had to send a part to the US for warranty work, the sender is supposed to mark it as an item returning to Canada, and UPS is supposed to allow it to pass through. This is declared on the customs form as an item with no commercial value and it's against the law to lie on that form.

Actually the first time they didn't mark it properly and they assessed me fees, then I refused delivery and the second time it went through fine once the company filed the paperwork properly.

Basically there is supposed to a way to make sure you don't get dinged on items that don't qualify as a new item entering Canada. If an item is just returning to Canada, you don't pay duty on it. UPS shouldn't have assessed fees on it either. I've never paid fees on items that were sent to the US and returning to me.

Maybe this rule has changed somehow but UPS is still universally crappy all around for other reasons too.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17397 posts
9711 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 7:20 am
When I had to send a part to the US for warranty work, the sender is supposed to mark it as an item returning to Canada, and UPS is supposed to allow it to pass through. This is declared on the customs form as an item with no commercial value and it's against the law to lie on that form.

Actually the first time they didn't mark it properly and they assessed me fees, then I refused delivery and the second time it went through fine once the company filed the paperwork properly.

Basically there is supposed to a way to make sure you don't get dinged on items that don't qualify as a new item entering Canada. If an item is just returning to Canada, you don't pay duty on it. UPS shouldn't have assessed fees on it either. I've never paid fees on items that were sent to the US and returning to me.

Maybe this rule has changed somehow but UPS is still universally crappy all around for other reasons too.
What you say is quite true, however UPS (or any other shipper/broker) needs authoritative proof that the item was originally exported from Canada and is now being returned as-is. If the eBay buyer just "labelled the package as a return" (as the OP says) then that wouldn't be sufficient.

Here's how one broker describes what's needed: Claiming Duty-Free on Canadian Goods Returned: Same Condition.

Since it seems the eBay buyer didn't provide the necessary documentary proof then I don't see how in this case UPS can be faulted for charging the seller (OP) for brokerage. [I can't believe I'm defending UPS :shock: but in this instance I think it's justified.]

One lesson in all of this is that the eBay listing should have included information to foreign buyers about how to properly document returns. Or the seller should have communicated this information to the buyer when they indicated that they wanted to return the item.
veni, vidi, Visa