[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
Ontario, CANADA

UPS package inspection - experiences

Hi all.

I was wondering what users here have experienced with customs opening and inspecting UPS ground shipments?

Just wonder if I would have saved some money by not listing the item as its full value.

In any case, please share you experiences regarding your UPS shipments that have/have not been opened by customs for inspection.

Thanks
14 replies
Nov 27, 2006
75 posts
Yeah, thats real smart....more reason for them to open it....

Anyways, UPS WILL inspect all packages directly imported from USA. You will get raped with charges, about $100 for brokerage fees, duties and taxes (13%). As for value, just provide your best estimates....

So, becuase of that, most people perfer USPS....

Good luck!

isajoo wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 12:04 am
dont think it matters what u write, they will open it.

but for kicks u can write:

Caution -Package contains semen and stool samples!

LOL
Dec 31, 1969
ocnewbie wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 12:13 am
Yeah, thats real smart....more reason for them to open it....

Anyways, UPS WILL inspect all packages directly imported from USA. You will get raped with charges, about $100 for brokerage fees, duties and taxes (13%).
Are you really that ignorant? Get your facts straight, you are just making yourself sound like an ass.
Dec 31, 1969
help_questions wrote:
Jun 5th, 2008 12:37 pm
Hi all.

I was wondering what users here have experienced with customs opening and inspecting UPS ground shipments?

Just wonder if I would have saved some money by not listing the item as its full value.

In any case, please share you experiences regarding your UPS shipments that have/have not been opened by customs for inspection.

Thanks
As far as I can tell my packages do not get inspected by customs at all and I order a LOT of stuff from the states on a regular basis.

The shipper I use always provides proper documentation listing the full value of all items I have purchased. I pay the taxes accordingly.
Sep 27, 2003
7563 posts
1231 upvotes
Newmarket
I have NEVER, in my years of importing high end cell phones from the US, have never had customs open a package!!
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Packages get inspected by customs pretty randomly.

If you want to avoid brokerage with UPS ship express or priority.

The funny thing is it's most often cheaper for me to pay overnight express than to pay standard and get stuck with their ridiculous brokerage fees.
Mar 24, 2007
628 posts
11 upvotes
Customs frequently opens stuff coming to our house and I've never tried to pull a fast one on Customs. We're not on any bad list, that I know of. They are less likely to open packages if they come from a retailer on their "good" list as opposed to one they don't see often, or one that has been "bad" in the past. This being said, both times I ordered from JC Penney, Customs opened those. They also were interested in Sephora. Maybe they were wondering what I was getting. A little vicarious shopping? :cheesygri
I'm far too honest to lie to Customs, but even if I weren't, I really don't think that it's worth the risk. Just my opinion.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1447 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
isajoo wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 12:04 am
Caution -Package contains semen and stool samples!

LOL
How will they assess the value of a package of semen and stool samples?
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Jin-n-Juice wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 10:55 am
How will they assess the value of a package of semen and stool samples?
Write 'Brad Pitt semen samples' and be prepared to take out a loan to pick up your package.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1998 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
$8.99 leather phone case from a US website. $60 in custom fees from UPS. My mother answered the door and paid it before I had a chance to refuse it. My anus hurt for a month.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
Ontario, CANADA
Toronto wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 4:41 pm
$8.99 leather phone case from a US website. $60 in custom fees from UPS. My mother answered the door and paid it before I had a chance to refuse it. My anus hurt for a month.
this really doesn't sound right....
Sep 27, 2003
7563 posts
1231 upvotes
Newmarket
FerrisB wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 9:12 am
Packages get inspected by customs pretty randomly.

If you want to avoid brokerage with UPS ship express or priority.

The funny thing is it's most often cheaper for me to pay overnight express than to pay standard and get stuck with their ridiculous brokerage fees.
Yup..and quicker! All my US packages that I require UPS for I will ship express...Not only is it guaranteed next day, but its often less than Standard as brokerage is included in Express!
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18563 posts
1008 upvotes
Never ship from US via UPS or Fedex ground.

End of story.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2007
1280 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
How much do you guys think a pair of Jordans from the US will be taxed via UPS?
Never received anything via UPS, but the seller marked it down as $35 and not as a gift. Will I get raped big time for this?

The tracking info says this too:

A HOLD HAS BEEN REQUESTED. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO RELEASE

REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / RELEASED BY CLR AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT

REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY

Am i screwed? Scared of paying $100+ :cry:
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20354 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 4:41 pm
Items under $20 are brokerage and tax exempt, something is wrong.
× < >