• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2011 7:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes

UPS - What a joke

Recently bought a Corsair 600T computer case.

The side window is defective so i contacted corsair to get another one. They sent me the part very quickly (Worth 29.99 USD).

UPS came like 15 min ago asking 15.xx$ in diverse BS fees.


Charging 15$ fees on something worth 30$. Wow....

Told them to keep it.
The guy said they will contact the sender in order to get them paying the bill (Corsair)
23 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
Was it COD? Or did they just want you to pay for the experience twice? First for the product and then again for the delivery service?

Seems strange. Maybe they get more business customers that way? They look "cheaper"
Listening to UkBassRadio NsbRadio ProtonRadio Tosi - TheCrypt

Oh... you must be a better internetter than everyone else. You get paid to be here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes
MrKap wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 4:27 pm
Was it COD? Or did they just want you to pay for the experience twice? First for the product and then again for the delivery service?

Seems strange. Maybe they get more business customers that way? They look "cheaper"

It was COD but the ammount they requested was brokerage fees, duties and taxes.

UPS brokerage fees were 10$ alone.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 14, 2004
9359 posts
511 upvotes
Markham
If it is a replacement you shouldn't have to pay taxes on it, someone must have screwed up the declaration. Contact UPS and you can get it resolved and you won't have to pay anything.

I've had that issue one time. It was a pain but you can get your money back.
:lol:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
Sounds like an insurance fee of sorts to me. Years ago there used to be a 20.00+ charge on sending something that was entirely replaceable (video tape), and if you didn't declare that is was actually worth something like 1.00 they would put their own price tag on it.

Who knows...
Listening to UkBassRadio NsbRadio ProtonRadio Tosi - TheCrypt

Oh... you must be a better internetter than everyone else. You get paid to be here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes
MrKap wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 4:30 pm
Sounds like an insurance fee of sorts to me

No, i checked the papers. It is what i said it is.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
I avoid UPS whenever possible because of similar experiences every time I have used them in the past.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes
time space wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 4:59 pm
I avoid UPS whenever possible because of similar experiences every time I have used them in the past.

Yep. Sometimes you can't avoid them.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
MrKap wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 4:30 pm
Sounds like an insurance fee of sorts to me. Years ago there used to be a 20.00+ charge on sending something that was entirely replaceable (video tape), and if you didn't declare that is was actually worth something like 1.00 they would put their own price tag on it.

Who knows...

No it's brokerage fees.

Private couriers like UPS, FedEX, purolator, etc... Have their own in house customs. Any time that they process a package that is subject to duties and taxes you get nailed with a sphincter ripping brokerage fee. Their formulas are so whack, the fees can easily hit %50 of the items worth.

But as mentioned before, you shouldn't get hit with fees on a replacement item. But if you try to take it up with UPS they'll realize that you didn't pay anything on the original item and back charge you for it.

When possible use Canada post/USPS since they have fixed brokerage fees.
Because you touch yourself at night
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14222 posts
1076 upvotes
$7 brokerage (less than CP FYI) plus taxes and a bond fee (~ 5.85). As been mentioned though for a warranty replacement you shouldn't be charged taxes therefore no brokerage. It had to have been declared wrong by corsair.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4740 posts
1055 upvotes
The UPS guy told me that UPS would contact the sender to see if they want to pay.

I guess Corsair will fix this by telling them to F off or by paying.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4237 posts
1579 upvotes
Friends don't let friends use OOPS
Newbie
Nov 25, 2011
2 posts
TORONTO
You cant expect much from a company that was once controlled by the mob. Seems they come up with these b.s. brokerage fee's out of thin air. Having worked for the company once upon a time, i never understood how they charge these fee's to people or how manytimes people were outraged with these stupid brokerage fee's.
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
Coz4k wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 4:22 pm
Recently bought a Corsair 600T computer case.

The side window is defective so i contacted corsair to get another one. They sent me the part very quickly (Worth 29.99 USD).

UPS came like 15 min ago asking 15.xx$ in diverse BS fees.


Charging 15$ fees on something worth 30$. Wow....

Told them to keep it.
The guy said they will contact the sender in order to get them paying the bill (Corsair)

It's the sender's fault, not UPS.

I'm going to assume it's a cross border transaction, in which the seller should've sent the item using DDP (meaning, he takes full responsibility of the shipment, from product to cost until it arrives @ your doorstep). I'm assuming it's a warranty replacement and it's just right for Corsair to cover everything.

I don't work for UPS, but some of you guys need to stop generalizing everything about couriers.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
You never stated anywhere whether this part was under warranty and if it was, was the warranty valid in Canada and did the warranty cover shipping costs for parts Canada. Sort that out first. Your argument is with the shipper not UPS.

All shipping/courier companies charge a brokerage fee and tack on HST/GST for good entering Canada where applicable. Who pays those added fees is decided by the sender. If you don't want to pay the brokerage fee on an imported item then you are allowed to clear the goods yourself by going to the UPS depot,, getting the paperwork from them, driving that paperwork over to Canada Customs to get it cleared, driving back to UPS to give them the now stamped paperwork and then they'll hand the item over to you and away you go.. That'll cost you more than $15 in time and gas. AND it must be shown on the original paperwork that the shipper/sender filled out that the receiver (you) are going to do the customs clearing and not them.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28

Top