• Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5329 posts
1337 upvotes
Cornwall PE

Upvote and downvote

Isn't the down vote option just an invitation for trolling?
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Share:
736 replies
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
771 upvotes
This ain't reddit
Last edited by TheRed on Aug 7th, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4155 posts
360 upvotes
Markham
I don't even know the purpose to downvote, I'd rather people come here to argue and say something than just click downvote button and done
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
1794 posts
572 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote:
Aug 4th, 2016 9:18 pm
I don't even know the purpose to downvote, I'd rather people come here to argue and say something than just click downvote button and done
Sometimes you want to communicate that someones post sucks without having to enter an argument or elaborate.

I actually like the downvote option. That being said, I'm not convinced it's a good idea...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4155 posts
360 upvotes
Markham
[quote=mtl-D post_id=26655439 time=1470362939 user_id=344918]
[quote=smartie post_id=26655213 time=1470359907 user_id=69541]
[/quote]

Sometimes you want to communicate that someones post sucks without having to enter an argument or elaborate.

I actually like the downvote option. That being said, I'm not convinced it's a good idea...
[/quote]

Then dont reply:) what you want to achieve by downvote
? Discourage that person post less next time?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
1794 posts
572 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote:
Aug 4th, 2016 10:29 pm
what you want to achieve by downvote
? Discourage that person post less next time?
mtl-D wrote:to communicate that someones post sucks without having to enter an argument or elaborate.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
betamaxman wrote:Isn't the down vote option just an invitation for trolling?
smartie wrote:I don't even know the purpose to downvote, I'd rather people come here to argue and say something than just click downvote button and done
mtl-D wrote:
Aug 4th, 2016 10:08 pm
smartie wrote:
Aug 4th, 2016 9:18 pm

I agree that showing the downvotes is not a good idea. Once a post collects a few downvotes, that "piling on" mentality will kick in, and it just becomes trolling.

Actually, I came in here to start a thread on this point before I had actually received / given a downvote for anything, so nobody accuses me of having an ulterior motive, but this thread seems to be as good as any. (Watch this post attract downvotes like bees to nectar :lol:.)

This site's staff will lock and move away threads like "Which University has the Ugliest Girls?" right away, while the opposite is allowed to live on. And on a similar basis, I say downvotes should be possible but the count should only be visible to the person who made the post.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1158 posts
256 upvotes
Downvoting deals just encourages the spirit of ungratefulness that pervades the internet. Ignore the deal if u dont like it. You.have to be a complete masochist to post a deal on rfd.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11515 posts
2406 upvotes
Montreal
but the point is that this bizarre system upvotes and downvotes USERS and NOT THREADS, which is insane. what is the use?

on a site like reddit, these are used to determine a thread's popularity and appropriateness, while pushing SPAM and troll threads to the bottom of the list, but on RFD, what is its purpose? no threads get pushed down and every single post in the thread can be upvoted or downvoted, but to what end? what did RFD intend to accomplish with the change?

did anyone on here even think this through before implementation?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4851 posts
1976 upvotes
Richmond Hill
In a lot of threads, there are definitely more down-votes than up-votes; in some cases, I can scroll down a page and see nothing but. It's a good system, but I think its implementation needs a little more refinement.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11515 posts
2406 upvotes
Montreal
aeba7 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 8:14 am
In a lot of threads, there are definitely more down-votes than up-votes; in some cases, I can scroll down a page and see nothing but. It's a good system, but I think its implementation needs a little more refinement.
yeah, it's just great - try sorting by score and the top "Hot Deals" thread is an ancient costco tire post from 2012. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10169 posts
3112 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mtl-D wrote:
Aug 4th, 2016 10:08 pm
And what's the point of that?

Suppose you're the poster whose post gets downvoted. How do you know what "sucks"? Is it the "deal"? Is it something about the post itself? If so is it (a) incorrect information, (b) missing information, (c) tone of the post? Is it about the poster?

How does this unexplained downvote help the poster improve their posts in the future?
Please elaborate. How does one "like" an option while at the same time thinking that the option may be a bad idea?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1768 posts
203 upvotes
In another world
I'm a bit confused about the downvote.

If I post something, let's say I don't like certain political party, and I get a downvote, was it because the person who gave it to me doesn't like that political party as well, or because the person is in favour of another political party and didn't like my post?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27664 posts
3807 upvotes
Ottawa
I was just searching for an old thread and noticed that folks are returning to old (months ago) posts and down voting some posts.
Some sort of "get even" approach or just vindictiveness?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4155 posts
360 upvotes
Markham
at least it shouldn't show downvote and upvote number in profile