Locked: Upvote and downvote

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
Quentin5 wrote: You have given almost double the downvotes as upvotes, and the downvote system has been around for only a fraction of the time you have been a member. Does this make your downvote:upvote ratio perhaps 5:1 since it was instituted?
Your not helping yourself here.
Agreed, we need to start looking in the mirror.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: You have given almost double the downvotes as upvotes, and the downvote system has been around for only a fraction of the time you have been a member. Does this make your downvote:upvote ratio perhaps 5:1 since it was instituted
you forget I have been given over a 1,000 downvotes by my various trolls, while giving back 1,800 I have given well over 1,000 upvotes, so my ratio is 1:1.8 with over 1K of retaliatory downvotes.

like I said, I have absolutely no problem being taken out of this stupid system, but to tie me up and let people like batrang and his gang of sycophants beat me with baseball bats is patently insane. if I can no longer participate in the system, why are people allowed to downvote me with impunity, unless it's an RFD-sanctioned TARGETED PUNISHMENT?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
JackWhyte wrote: you forget I have been given over a 1,000 downvotes by my various trolls, while giving back 1,800 I have given well over 1,000 upvotes, so my ratio is 1:1.8 with over 1K of retaliatory downvotes.

like I said, I have absolutely no problem being taken out of this stupid system, but to tie me up and let people like batrang and his gang of sycophants beat me with baseball bats is patently insane. if I can no longer participate in the system, why are people allowed to downvote me with impunity, unless it's an RFD-sanctioned TARGETED PUNISHMENT?
Just let it roll off your back. It's only a forum after all. The most important people in life are the ones you love and care about. They are the ones you need to impress and focus on. Like I said, life's too short.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
sandav wrote: Just let it roll off your back. It's only a forum after all. The most important people in life are the ones you love and care about. They are the ones you need to impress and focus on. Like I said, life's too short.
yeah, I just disabled all notifications and will just go back to lurking for deals and RFD can get their wish in allowing the reprobates to downvote me with impunity.

honestly, 99% of the reason I am even a member is for the ability to disable avatars and signatures to speed up the page loading and reading.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32136 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
JackWhyte wrote: you forget I have been given over a 1,000 downvotes by my various trolls, while giving back 1,800 I have given well over 1,000 upvotes, so my ratio is 1:1.8 with over 1K of retaliatory downvotes.
You don't know who has downvoted you, and retaliation is not only counter productive, your striking people who you don't even know if they have downvoted you.
People have given me many downvotes and my downvote ratio is infinite, i have given zero.
If your ability to downvote was taken away for abusing the system then guess what, your ability to downvote was taken away for abusing the system. A simple solution is available.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: You don't know who has downvoted you, and retaliation is not only counter productive, your striking people who you don't even know if they have downvoted you.
People have given me many downvotes and my downvote ratio is infinite, i have given zero.
That's actually exactly why an anonymous downvote system is particularly toxic. When someone doesn't know who downvoted them and why, it creates an atmosphere of negativity where posters/contributors do not understand if the feedback is due to an honest difference of opinion or a personal grudge.

At least if people could see a pattern of users who may be targeting them with downvotes, it would be easier to understand and limit the negativity around those particular downvoters.

Likewise, I'm sure there were instances where I posted my disagreement with someone, and they thought I downvoted them when it was others.
Quentin5 wrote: If your ability to downvote was taken away for abusing the system then guess what, your ability to downvote was taken away for abusing the system. A simple solution is available.
I disagree.

Since no admin is coming out and responding publicly to two whole threads on the subject, and telling us what exactly is the purpose or intended/appropriate use of the downvote system, it is likewise unclear what constitutes abuse.

Just because someone gives a heavier load of downvote vs. upvotes, how exactly does that necessarily mean it is a misuse of the system? Maybe they just disagree with more people than they agree with? Maybe they find more opinions to dislike than like? Why can that not be valid and legitimate?

Let's say Poster X has very strong, vocal opinions that Person Y strongly disagrees with, and makes 100 posts of that nature over the course of 2-3 months. Is it wrong for Person Y to downvote each post that s/he disagrees with?

I've also done Searches for older threads and I've downvoted or upvoted some posts. Is this an abuse of the system? Am I not allowed to use the system on older posts? And how old do they have to be before I'm "not allowed to"?

I see a lot of preaching from some users (with good intentions I'm sure) about how other posters should behave, how they should feel, etc. but maybe give consideration to the fact that people are different, and instead try to look at it from a neutral, system point of view.

Especially users who might have more trepidation in sharing and participating, how does it look when there are anonymous downvotes all over the place, on their posts or others? To me that just makes the forum look hostile.

There aren't a lot of people who absolutely love downvoting that I can see and are urging for it to be preserved and maintained. It looks like the most prolific users of the downvote system are using it because it is there.

On the other hand, there are lots of genuine contributors who strongly oppose having a downvote system at all for various reasons they have taken the time to thoughtfully share. There are overlapping users who would also accept a compromise with a named downvote system.

The admins remain silent on many of the issues being raised by participants of the community.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: You don't know who has downvoted you, and retaliation is not only counter productive, your striking people who you don't even know if they have downvoted you.
LOL, how long have you been here? even a newbie should realize I've attracted a TON of sony trolls who haunt my every post, even though I own a PS4, two PS3's and 2 PS Vitas, as I am often critical of the gruel sony offers each month.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: If your ability to downvote was taken away for abusing the system then guess what, your ability to downvote was taken away for abusing the system. A simple solution is available.
yep, immediately stop contributing help, links or deals to anyone on here.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32136 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
peanutz wrote: That's actually exactly why an anonymous downvote system is particularly toxic. When someone doesn't know who downvoted them and why, it creates an atmosphere of negativity where posters/contributors do not understand if the feedback is due to an honest difference of opinion or a personal grudge.

At least if people could see a pattern of users who may be targeting them with downvotes, it would be easier to understand and limit the negativity around those particular downvoters.

Likewise, I'm sure there were instances where I posted my disagreement with someone, and they thought I downvoted them when it was others.
It should at least be deanonymized as you seem to agree, i would prefer it be eliminated altogether.
I disagree.

Since no admin is coming out and responding publicly to two whole threads on the subject, and telling us what exactly is the purpose or intended/appropriate use of the downvote system, it is likewise unclear what constitutes abuse.
They are probably going by reasonable usage, its not an exact number but if someone is abusing the system they are abusing it. I once heard the expression "Responsible people don't need rules". Quite true, its not a concrete number but when people of good conscience work well together you don't need to ban people from using it. You also don't have trolling.

Just because someone gives a heavier load of downvote vs. upvotes, how exactly does that necessarily mean it is a misuse of the system? Maybe they just disagree with more people than they agree with? Maybe they find more opinions to dislike than like? Why can that not be valid and legitimate?

Let's say Poster X has very strong, vocal opinions that Person Y strongly disagrees with, and makes 100 posts of that nature over the course of 2-3 months. Is it wrong for Person Y to downvote each post that s/he disagrees with?
So i should downvote everyone i disagree with. I would be banned pretty quickly if i did that, not agreeing with someone doesn't mean i have license to treat them badly.
I've also done Searches for older threads and I've downvoted or upvoted some posts. Is this an abuse of the system? Am I not allowed to use the system on older posts? And how old do they have to be before I'm "not allowed to"?

I see a lot of preaching from some users (with good intentions I'm sure) about how other posters should behave, how they should feel, etc. but maybe give consideration to the fact that people are different, and instead try to look at it from a neutral, system point of view.

Especially users who might have more trepidation in sharing and participating, how does it look when there are anonymous downvotes all over the place, on their posts or others? To me that just makes the forum look hostile.

There aren't a lot of people who absolutely love downvoting that I can see and are urging for it to be preserved and maintained. It looks like the most prolific users of the downvote system are using it because it is there.

On the other hand, there are lots of genuine contributors who strongly oppose having a downvote system at all for various reasons they have taken the time to thoughtfully share. There are overlapping users who would also accept a compromise with a named downvote system.

The admins remain silent on many of the issues being raised by participants of the community.
Lets see a badly designed system that anonymizes trolling that is not well received but is used. You may be shocked to know downvoting has been tried elsewhere to not very good effect.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Jun 14th, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32136 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
JackWhyte wrote: LOL, how long have you been here? even a newbie should realize I've attracted a TON of sony trolls who haunt my every post, even though I own a PS4, two PS3's and 2 PS Vitas, as I am often critical of the gruel sony offers each month.
I have not seen this, likely because i have no interest in video game systems and don't read those threads
I didn't even know there are monthly Sony deals
JackWhyte wrote: yep, immediately stop contributing help, links or deals to anyone on here.
So the only solution you can see is leaving if you can't downvote to your heart's content?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: So the only solution you can see is leaving if you can't downvote to your heart's content?
No, but to still have your account be adversely affected by an upvote/downvote process you can no longer take part in is patently insane, so by definition, only an insane person would play that game.

like I said, I couldn't care less if my ability to up or downvote is taken away, but why the hell is the reverse happening, with trolls able to continually mass-downvote me? if I'm out of the system, I should be out of the system. it's like being invited over to a friend's house where they say, "I'm going to put you in a bag, tie you up, gag you, and then beat you with a baseball bat... let me know when you're heading over!" - according to your advice, I should speed over there ASAP.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
lol. Dude. Compared to you, I'm a featherweight. I'm still getting phantom downvotes for various posts over the past month. Makes me chuckle. The bidet posts were a real splash & this thread sure garnered some real infatuation as well.
JackWhyte wrote: ....it's like being invited over to a friend's house where they say, "I'm going to put you in a bag, tie you up, gag you, and then beat you with a baseball bat..."...
Sounds like someone has their own 'playroom' fantasy scenario already laid out...
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
JackWhyte wrote: No, but to still have your account be adversely affected by an upvote/downvote process you can no longer take part in is patently insane, so by definition, only an insane person would play that game.

like I said, I couldn't care less if my ability to up or downvote is taken away, but why the hell is the reverse happening, with trolls able to continually mass-downvote me? if I'm out of the system, I should be out of the system. it's like being invited over to a friend's house where they say, "I'm going to put you in a bag, tie you up, gag you, and then beat you with a baseball bat... let me know when you're heading over!" - according to your advice, I should speed over there ASAP.
My gut reaction was to agree but then I thought it's really 2 separate things. If for example a user abuses the system and downvotes another member's unrelated post history out of spite, then they lose the ability to vote X number of days. They should then not be removed from receiving because doing so essentially gives them immunity to continue badgering the other member with replies and receiving no downvotes, however to a certain extent that would result in penalty box or ban. Or, the user can do positive things and receive upvotes, which would not be possible if they were removed completely.

While said user could care less about the voting system, it does paint a picture of their behaviour and online personality to others. Would you trust someone's opinion if they weighed heavy on ups, or downs? Of course you could go on to read their previous posts to get a better idea.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The problem still exists as mentioned earlier, people downvote for absurd reasons like if they can't get a deal, when it's not under the control of the OP, or people have downvoted posts even though the information is accurate but perhaps something in the content they don't like or agree with, etc. The more this happens, the less people want to contribute positively. As peanutz said, if you can't evaluate the feedback, then why bother continuing?

It really shouldn't be an anonymous vote, and like Hot Deals, downvoting should be accompanied by a selection box for your reasoning before you can proceed (for those who don't want to take the time and state in their own words). Make the information useful.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32136 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
JackWhyte wrote: No, but to still have your account be adversely affected by an upvote/downvote process you can no longer take part in is patently insane, so by definition, only an insane person would play that game.

People were not given enhanced ability to downvote because your privilege was taken away. Your determined to be personally insulted for the consequences of your actions. I agree downvotes should be deanonymized (or preferably removed altogether) but your saying others should be given consequences because you were. Thats a great line of reasoning, i can say i lost my job so why should everyone else still be employed. They are rubbing it in my face by still receiving an income i'm not and buying things i can no longer afford. Firing everyone because i was fired makes a lot of sense and would go over exceptionally well :facepalm:
If you want your privileges back i assume there is a way to make it happen and you can keep them by not abusing them.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
come one, why not get me another Neg there Quentin5. :lol:

and man, your "unemployed" analogy is the work of a fevered mind and it makes absolutely no sense. where did I say that everyone on RFD should have their voting abilities disabled system-wide? I simnply do not see the logic in disabling my voting options, which paints a huge "he's open game" target on my back, yet still be subject to voting by others. If you really strain your brain, you would understand this. hell, even incarcerated murderers have the right to vote in Canada, or didn't you know that?

a more apt analogy would be you going in for a job interview, being tied up, tossed in a bag, gagged, and then all the employed people in the office would beat you with lead pipes. because after all, you are a target to them and should be punished.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32136 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
JackWhyte wrote: come one, why not get me another Neg there Quentin5. :lol:

and man, your "unemployed" analogy is the work of a fevered mind and it makes absolutely no sense. where did I say that everyone on RFD should have their voting abilities disabled system-wide? I simnply do not see the logic in disabling my voting options, which paints a huge "he's open game" target on my back, yet still be subject to voting to others. If you really strain your brain, you would understand this.

a more apt analogy would be you going in for a job interview, being tied up, tossed in a bag, gagged, and then all the unemployed people in the office would beat you with lead pipes. because after all, you are a target to them.
It makes no sense to you because you are lashing out at others for the consequences of your own actions. This discussion is quite pointless :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: It makes no sense to you because you are lashing out at others for the consequences of your own actions.
you do realize that I have never serial downvoted any particular user, right? that's an absolute fact, and I always vote by content. it seems that I am being targeted simply because of my number of downvotes and nothing else. it appears I am using the system too much.

but I never go after any user (even Batarang), but instead tend to downvote stupid or insulting or name-calling posts (like those Amazon 3rd-party "$20 SSDs" nitwits) en masse to get rid of them.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32136 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
JackWhyte wrote: you do realize that I have never serial downvoted any particular user, right? that's an absolute fact, and I always vote by content. it seems that I am being targeted simply because of my number of downvotes and nothing else. it appears I am using the system too much.

but I never go after any user (even Batarang), but instead tend to downvote stupid or insulting or name-calling posts (like those Amazon 3rd-party "$20 SSDs" nitwits) en masse to get rid of them.
Why you are banned is between you and the admin
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: Why you are banned is between you and the admin
yes, and I'm just stating the facts. they know this, I know this, and I'm simply spreading the info in case anyone was under the misinterpretation I was following people around and mass-negging them.

I am not targeting users, I am simply targeting insipid posts and content more than RFD would like.