• Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11574 posts
2449 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:44 pm
So the only solution you can see is leaving if you can't downvote to your heart's content?
No, but to still have your account be adversely affected by an upvote/downvote process you can no longer take part in is patently insane, so by definition, only an insane person would play that game.

like I said, I couldn't care less if my ability to up or downvote is taken away, but why the hell is the reverse happening, with trolls able to continually mass-downvote me? if I'm out of the system, I should be out of the system. it's like being invited over to a friend's house where they say, "I'm going to put you in a bag, tie you up, gag you, and then beat you with a baseball bat... let me know when you're heading over!" - according to your advice, I should speed over there ASAP.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27708 posts
773 upvotes
Dildo, NL
lol. Dude. Compared to you, I'm a featherweight. I'm still getting phantom downvotes for various posts over the past month. Makes me chuckle. The bidet posts were a real splash & this thread sure garnered some real infatuation as well.
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 8:18 am
....it's like being invited over to a friend's house where they say, "I'm going to put you in a bag, tie you up, gag you, and then beat you with a baseball bat..."...
Sounds like someone has their own 'playroom' fantasy scenario already laid out...
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9667 posts
3984 upvotes
Southern Ontario
JackWhyte wrote:
No, but to still have your account be adversely affected by an upvote/downvote process you can no longer take part in is patently insane, so by definition, only an insane person would play that game.

like I said, I couldn't care less if my ability to up or downvote is taken away, but why the hell is the reverse happening, with trolls able to continually mass-downvote me? if I'm out of the system, I should be out of the system. it's like being invited over to a friend's house where they say, "I'm going to put you in a bag, tie you up, gag you, and then beat you with a baseball bat... let me know when you're heading over!" - according to your advice, I should speed over there ASAP.
My gut reaction was to agree but then I thought it's really 2 separate things. If for example a user abuses the system and downvotes another member's unrelated post history out of spite, then they lose the ability to vote X number of days. They should then not be removed from receiving because doing so essentially gives them immunity to continue badgering the other member with replies and receiving no downvotes, however to a certain extent that would result in penalty box or ban. Or, the user can do positive things and receive upvotes, which would not be possible if they were removed completely.

While said user could care less about the voting system, it does paint a picture of their behaviour and online personality to others. Would you trust someone's opinion if they weighed heavy on ups, or downs? Of course you could go on to read their previous posts to get a better idea.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9667 posts
3984 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The problem still exists as mentioned earlier, people downvote for absurd reasons like if they can't get a deal, when it's not under the control of the OP, or people have downvoted posts even though the information is accurate but perhaps something in the content they don't like or agree with, etc. The more this happens, the less people want to contribute positively. As peanutz said, if you can't evaluate the feedback, then why bother continuing?

It really shouldn't be an anonymous vote, and like Hot Deals, downvoting should be accompanied by a selection box for your reasoning before you can proceed (for those who don't want to take the time and state in their own words). Make the information useful.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13290 posts
3270 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:

People were not given enhanced ability to downvote because your privilege was taken away. Your determined to be personally insulted for the consequences of your actions. I agree downvotes should be deanonymized (or preferably removed altogether) but your saying others should be given consequences because you were. Thats a great line of reasoning, i can say i lost my job so why should everyone else still be employed. They are rubbing it in my face by still receiving an income i'm not and buying things i can no longer afford. Firing everyone because i was fired makes a lot of sense and would go over exceptionally well :facepalm:
If you want your privileges back i assume there is a way to make it happen and you can keep them by not abusing them.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11574 posts
2449 upvotes
Montreal
come one, why not get me another Neg there Quentin5. :lol:

and man, your "unemployed" analogy is the work of a fevered mind and it makes absolutely no sense. where did I say that everyone on RFD should have their voting abilities disabled system-wide? I simnply do not see the logic in disabling my voting options, which paints a huge "he's open game" target on my back, yet still be subject to voting by others. If you really strain your brain, you would understand this. hell, even incarcerated murderers have the right to vote in Canada, or didn't you know that?

a more apt analogy would be you going in for a job interview, being tied up, tossed in a bag, gagged, and then all the employed people in the office would beat you with lead pipes. because after all, you are a target to them and should be punished.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13290 posts
3270 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 4:34 pm
come one, why not get me another Neg there Quentin5. :lol:

and man, your "unemployed" analogy is the work of a fevered mind and it makes absolutely no sense. where did I say that everyone on RFD should have their voting abilities disabled system-wide? I simnply do not see the logic in disabling my voting options, which paints a huge "he's open game" target on my back, yet still be subject to voting to others. If you really strain your brain, you would understand this.

a more apt analogy would be you going in for a job interview, being tied up, tossed in a bag, gagged, and then all the unemployed people in the office would beat you with lead pipes. because after all, you are a target to them.
It makes no sense to you because you are lashing out at others for the consequences of your own actions. This discussion is quite pointless :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11574 posts
2449 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 4:41 pm
It makes no sense to you because you are lashing out at others for the consequences of your own actions.
you do realize that I have never serial downvoted any particular user, right? that's an absolute fact, and I always vote by content. it seems that I am being targeted simply because of my number of downvotes and nothing else. it appears I am using the system too much.

but I never go after any user (even Batarang), but instead tend to downvote stupid or insulting or name-calling posts (like those Amazon 3rd-party "$20 SSDs" nitwits) en masse to get rid of them.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13290 posts
3270 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 4:47 pm
you do realize that I have never serial downvoted any particular user, right? that's an absolute fact, and I always vote by content. it seems that I am being targeted simply because of my number of downvotes and nothing else. it appears I am using the system too much.

but I never go after any user (even Batarang), but instead tend to downvote stupid or insulting or name-calling posts (like those Amazon 3rd-party "$20 SSDs" nitwits) en masse to get rid of them.
Why you are banned is between you and the admin
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11574 posts
2449 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 4:50 pm
Why you are banned is between you and the admin
yes, and I'm just stating the facts. they know this, I know this, and I'm simply spreading the info in case anyone was under the misinterpretation I was following people around and mass-negging them.

I am not targeting users, I am simply targeting insipid posts and content more than RFD would like.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11574 posts
2449 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:58 am
My gut reaction was to agree but then I thought it's really 2 separate things. If for example a user abuses the system and downvotes another member's unrelated post history out of spite, then they lose the ability to vote X number of days. They should then not be removed from receiving because doing so essentially gives them immunity to continue badgering the other member with replies and receiving no downvotes
that's my point, by disabling voting for a select number of people, doesn't that give immunity for other trolls and sycophants to continue badgering these non-voting members with derogatory comments and receiving no downvotes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9667 posts
3984 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Nobody knows you can't vote unless you state it. The ability is not a defense mechanism. If you believe you are open game because you can't vote, then likely you were handing out lots of downs rather than ups beforehand.

And if you think there are a number of people out there up to no good, perhaps you created enemies from your own doing. I for one don't think our community has very many antagonistic members as a whole. Or my profile would be full of downs, however I don't feel a need to aggravate others or go into threads where I'm not interested in the product. Not saying you do that but there's a reason a user attracts ups or downs. Whether it's Hot Deals or a subforum, I try to be helpful and accurate.
Oct 22, 2006
686 posts
384 upvotes
Ontario
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 5:38 pm
Nobody knows you can't vote unless you state it. The ability is not a defense mechanism. If you believe you are open game because you can't vote, then likely you were handing out lots of downs rather than ups beforehand.

And if you think there are a number of people out there up to no good, perhaps you created enemies from your own doing. I for one don't think our community has very many antagonistic members as a whole. Or my profile would be full of downs, however I don't feel a need to aggravate others or go into threads where I'm not interested in the product. Not saying you do that but there's a reason a user attracts ups or downs. Whether it's Hot Deals or a subforum, I try to be helpful and accurate.
I've never downvoted, but I know exactly what you're talking about. IMHO JackWhyte is pretty infamous for complaining about cheap laptops not giving top of the line displays.

Here's a simple search: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=si ... olution%22

3520 results looking for pages containing "JackWhyte" "laptop" "resolution". Some people dig their own grave...
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4870 posts
1993 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dollarsign wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:37 pm
I've never downvoted, but I know exactly what you're talking about. IMHO JackWhyte is pretty infamous for complaining about cheap laptops not giving top of the line displays.

Here's a simple search: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=si ... olution%22

3520 results looking for pages containing "JackWhyte" "laptop" "resolution". Some people dig their own grave...
Resolution and TLC ssds
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11574 posts
2449 upvotes
Montreal
Looks like I located at least one of my serial downvoters right here. mission accomplished.