• Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4450 posts
2828 upvotes
Montreal
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 2:12 pm
Looks like I located at least one of my serial downvoters right here. mission accomplished.
Are you paranoid or something? Are you saying the above posts don't make the point? You were probably the one who downvoted my post #426 that got you into your predicament. You dug your own grave for sure. I'm sure now I'll be accused of being one of your serial downvoters. :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13679 posts
3417 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 4:03 pm
Are you paranoid or something? Are you saying the above posts don't make the point? You were probably the one who downvoted my post #426 that got you into your predicament. You dug your own grave for sure. I'm sure now I'll be accused of being one of your serial downvoters. :rolleyes:
Nah, its probably me who is his serial downvoter Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11838 posts
2616 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 7:22 pm
Nah, its probably me who is his serial downvoter
keep those downvotes coming boys - each one proves my point even more.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1975 upvotes
Brampton
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 5:03 pm
that's my point, by disabling voting for a select number of people, doesn't that give immunity for other trolls and sycophants to continue badgering these non-voting members with derogatory comments and receiving no downvotes.
Not only that but there was a period where I was in the penalty box so replies and posts were a PITA. So up and downvote were the only form of forum participation.
Their system encouraged it because I couldn't easily reply to a post to say why I disagreed with it.

Not sure if they intended it but the way the system worked it encouraged me to use up and down votes and thus my massive high up and down votes. I'm not sure if that counts as abuse.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11838 posts
2616 upvotes
Montreal
tebore wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:33 am
Not sure if they intended it but the way the system worked it encouraged me to use up and down votes and thus my massive high up and down votes. I'm not sure if that counts as abuse.
it most definitely does and I have been punished for "using the system too much".

I'm a "thread downvoter" and I just hammer those "found a $10 500GB SSD on Amazon 3rd-party" shills and their secondary posts, and RFD does not like that, probably due to affiliate income from links. my punishment has absolutely nothing to do with serial downvoting of users, as I judge the content not the name on the post.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1975 upvotes
Brampton
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 12:00 pm
it most definitely does and I have been punished for "using the system too much".

I'm a "thread downvoter" and I just hammer those "found a $10 500GB SSD on Amazon 3rd-party" shills and their secondary posts, and RFD does not like that, probably due to affiliate income from links. my punishment has absolutely nothing to do with serial downvoting of users, as I judge the content not the name on the post.
I'll admit I did that as well. I chose the bad seller option. But if that's not the point of it. Why have it?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11838 posts
2616 upvotes
Montreal
tebore wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 12:46 pm
I'll admit I did that as well. I chose the bad seller option. But if that's not the point of it. Why have it
I guess so you can "use it sparingly", but never forget that RFD survives on affiliate income, so the more Amazon 3rd-party cookies they have floating around the better it is for them.

shoot, I just noticed you have issued 1500+ downvotes - get ready to get banned buddy, no joke.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1975 upvotes
Brampton
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 1:05 pm
I guess so you can "use it sparingly", but never forget that RFD survives on affiliate income, so the more Amazon 3rd-party cookies they have floating around the better it is for them.

shoot, I just noticed you have issued 1500+ downvotes - get ready to get banned buddy, no joke.
Like I mentioned in another unrelated thread I also have 2000+ upvotes. I upvote good useful and good and downvote the bad. If that's not what it's for why have it? I usually downvote bad, illegal, just straight wrong info. I hang out in Home and garden and when someone says do something like just hire an uninsured general labourer in cash to avoid taxes with no permit to do a proper trades job that's what I downvote.
And upvote the guy that says do it the proper way. Unfortunately the posts of do it right comes up less Takes one post to say do it right vs 5-6 posts of justifying doing it wrong or illegally. RFD has a rule to say no discussion of illegal activities but the mods don't crack down on these posts saying just do it cash monies no permit.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4680 posts
559 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 2:23 pm
Like I mentioned in another unrelated thread I also have 2000+ upvotes. I upvote good useful and good and downvote the bad. If that's not what it's for why have it? I usually downvote bad, illegal, just straight wrong info. I hang out in Home and garden and when someone says do something like just hire an uninsured general labourer in cash to avoid taxes with no permit to do a proper trades job that's what I downvote.
And upvote the guy that says do it the proper way. Unfortunately the posts of do it right comes up less Takes one post to say do it right vs 5-6 posts of justifying doing it wrong or illegally. RFD has a rule to say no discussion of illegal activities but the mods don't crack down on these posts saying just do it cash monies no permit.
and that's perfectly fine, I'm getting downvoted almost every time I bring up Jose Bautista in the Blue Jays thread - one is an opinion the other is a fact
Come join the Crypto discussion :

https://chat.whatsapp.com/33kLOgl0JXD7GLH0N0tspk

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1975 upvotes
Brampton
blexann wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 2:30 pm
and that's perfectly fine, I'm getting downvoted almost every time I bring up Jose Bautista in the Blue Jays thread - one is an opinion the other is a fact
Oh well looks like they're blanket disabling the ability for voting for people who happen to participate a lot.

Between that and the constant affiliate links not working, the constant shilling. It's really discouraging active forum participation.
Looking like Lurking is the way to go.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11838 posts
2616 upvotes
Montreal
tebore wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 2:35 pm
Between that and the constant affiliate links not working, the constant shilling. It's really discouraging active forum participation.
Looking like Lurking is the way to go.
not lurking per se, but certainly not going out of my way to post deals or provide links - for example, early in the morning this week BB had a $100 PNY 480GB MLC SSD online, and I thought about posting it then I thought "why bother, I'll probably just get mass-downvoted anyway and it's obvious I'm not a valued RFD member anyway" so I just bought one and moved on.

not trying to play the "take my ball and go home" game, but it's really no longer worth the effort.

P.S. no one else posted the deal either.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11838 posts
2616 upvotes
Montreal
RFD is definitely monitoring this and this is what a Mod posted in another thread:
@EverybodyKnows why the downvote? Do you disagree with the site's attempt at preventing people from signing up for the purposes of spam PMing others?
so now RFD is downvote shaming users?
Sep 27, 2003
8413 posts
1687 upvotes
Newmarket
JackWhyte wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 4:58 pm
RFD is definitely monitoring this and this is what a Mod posted in another thread:

so now RFD is downvote shaming users?
They had a few infractions all for trolling mods and had a personal vendetta against the forums. The admins have actually removed them from the site. The admins will take things like infraction history into account when determining whether or not to remove voting privileges. This is why we always ask those who have had them removed to reach out to Tom so he can explain in more detail the reasons.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1975 upvotes
Brampton
WorldIRC wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 8:20 pm
They had a few infractions all for trolling mods and had a personal vendetta against the forums. The admins have actually removed them from the site. The admins will take things like infraction history into account when determining whether or not to remove voting privileges. This is why we always ask those who have had them removed to reach out to Tom so he can explain in more detail the reasons.
Why doesn't he just PM the people who had it removed like when a user get an infraction?
Sep 27, 2003
8413 posts
1687 upvotes
Newmarket
tebore wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 9:16 pm
Why doesn't he just PM the people who had it removed like when a user get an infraction?
Not sure, sorry.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller