None
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1677 posts
820 upvotes
Richmond
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 11:11 am
Whenever I get a notification from someone giving me an upvote or downvote, I try to click on the link and it takes me to the first page of the thread. Is it possible for the link to direct me to the post of mine that was upvoted or downvoted so I can see what it was I said?
The correct post number is in the link url, it just doesn't work when you click on it from your upvote list.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1677 posts
820 upvotes
Richmond
Just passing by to see if there's anything new on downvoting. Apparently not. I upvoted a couple of posts today and was surprised to see the net vote = 0, meaning somebody must have downvoted them for no fathomable reason. Can we have a poll on the downvoting system? :)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
3878 posts
1205 upvotes
someone gave me downvotes intentionally to get 'revenge' on me (i'm not counting ) and i know this just because my most recent downvotes also include ones from 2015 LOL.

i think i know who it is because he's an Idiot. We should show usernames of ppl who have downvoted us.
Jul 5, 2013
270 posts
343 upvotes
Saint John
I commented that the Amazon Prime Day was not as great as what I expected. Then I got numerous downvotes. Why? I can not figure out....... Crying Face
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
demon1102 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:02 am
I commented that the Amazon Prime Day was not as great as what I expected. Then I got numerous downvotes. Why? I can not figure out....... Crying Face
Because instead of posting disagreement, people just click a button now. Hopefully we can get that list made visible to provide visibility. Still waiting on admins to review though.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12796 posts
2930 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:16 am
Hopefully we can get that list made visible to provide visibility.
Do you mean downvotes will no longer be anonymous?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9962 posts
2972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
demon1102 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:02 am
Why?
Because a downvote can mean anything any poster wants it to mean. I doubt that was our overlords' plan when they came up with the concept. (IIRC the intent was to encourage more civility, a desirable goal.) But of course that's not what it's become as a result of their implementation.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:17 am
Do you mean downvotes will no longer be anonymous?
Not saying anything will change. My personal opinion is all votes should be made visible (aka no longer anonymous) as a means of adding accountability. This is not the federal elections where one's vote is "private". My ask is that the admins would review this.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
bylo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:23 am
Because a downvote can mean anything any poster wants it to mean. I doubt that was our overlords' plan when they came up with the concept. (IIRC the intent was to encourage more civility, a desirable goal.) But of course that's not what it's become as a result of their implementation.
100% agree. Downvotes have created this "stigma" since the calculation is added to a user's profile without any justification or visibility on why the votes were issued in the first place.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
hvwozq wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:33 pm
Now that I have about the same number of given and received downvotes, I should be able to give more downvotes, what do you think @TomRFD?
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes. What you receive in votes though is simply a reflection of your posting quality (or perhaps others are voting towards you in a similar fashion as you've voted towards others). The bigger concern however is that you rarely up-vote anyone (only 21 times), but you've downvoted over 500 times.

That being said, if you improve the quality of your posts, try to standout in the community as an asset, and try to overall be helpful around here, I suspect the administration will be more in favour in reviewing your request to re-open your ability to vote again.

It won't happen over night, but perhaps over time, the admins will consider your request.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1332 posts
424 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:21 am
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes. What you receive in votes though is simply a reflection of your posting quality (or perhaps others are voting towards you in a similar fashion as you've voted towards others). The bigger concern however is that you rarely up-vote anyone (only 21 times), but you've downvoted over 500 times.

That being said, if you improve the quality of your posts, try to standout in the community as an asset, and try to overall be helpful around here, I suspect the administration will be more in favour in reviewing your request to re-open your ability to vote again.

It won't happen over night, but perhaps over time, the admins will consider your request.
Well said.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9962 posts
2972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:21 am
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes.
How does one improve the quality of their posts when the downvotes convey no information about why they were cast, i.e. what was it about the quality of the post that the downvoter found to be objectionable?

I appreciate that sometimes it's obvious, e.g. a blatantly rude comment(*). Even so, one person's interpretation of rudeness may not reflect the poster's intent. Or perhaps the poster's command of English isn't good enough to realize that their language is taken as rude. Or maybe the poster didn't realize that their comment was a double-entendre, etc.

But often the reason isn't so obvious. How does a poster know if their post got downvoted because it contained factually incorrect information, expressed a (respectful or not) opinion that the downvoter disagreed with, wasn't a "deal" in the downvoter's opinion, violated one of the posting rules of this forum (and if so, which one?)(*), was a duplicate of some other thread, contained a spelling/grammatical error, was clicked in error (the two icons are side-by-side), etc?

P.S. (*) in these cases ISTM a more appropriate action would be to report the post rather than downvote it. That would result in faster intervention by the moderators.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12796 posts
2930 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:29 am
But often the reason isn't so obvious. How does a poster know if their post got downvoted because it contained factually incorrect information, expressed a (respectful or not) opinion that the downvoter disagreed with, wasn't a "deal" in the downvoter's opinion, violated one of the posting rules of this forum (and if so, which one?), was a duplicate of some other thread, contained a spelling/grammatical error, was clicked in error (the two icons are side-by-side), etc?
I agree

I also get the impression he wants to get back to his downvoting binge, he is practically desperate to get the ability back and defends his actions instead of accepting his mistakes. He blames others for not liking what he does to them
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:41 am
I agree

I also get the impression he wants to get back to his downvoting binge, he is practically desperate to get the ability back and defends his actions instead of accepting his mistakes. He blames others for not liking what he does to them
I agree
RFD Forums Moderator

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)