• Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13437 posts
3342 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:16 am
Hopefully we can get that list made visible to provide visibility.
Do you mean downvotes will no longer be anonymous?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3335 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
demon1102 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:02 am
Why?
Because a downvote can mean anything any poster wants it to mean. I doubt that was our overlords' plan when they came up with the concept. (IIRC the intent was to encourage more civility, a desirable goal.) But of course that's not what it's become as a result of their implementation.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 27, 2003
8217 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:17 am
Do you mean downvotes will no longer be anonymous?
Not saying anything will change. My personal opinion is all votes should be made visible (aka no longer anonymous) as a means of adding accountability. This is not the federal elections where one's vote is "private". My ask is that the admins would review this.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
8217 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
bylo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:23 am
Because a downvote can mean anything any poster wants it to mean. I doubt that was our overlords' plan when they came up with the concept. (IIRC the intent was to encourage more civility, a desirable goal.) But of course that's not what it's become as a result of their implementation.
100% agree. Downvotes have created this "stigma" since the calculation is added to a user's profile without any justification or visibility on why the votes were issued in the first place.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8217 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
hvwozq wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:33 pm
Now that I have about the same number of given and received downvotes, I should be able to give more downvotes, what do you think @TomRFD?
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes. What you receive in votes though is simply a reflection of your posting quality (or perhaps others are voting towards you in a similar fashion as you've voted towards others). The bigger concern however is that you rarely up-vote anyone (only 21 times), but you've downvoted over 500 times.

That being said, if you improve the quality of your posts, try to standout in the community as an asset, and try to overall be helpful around here, I suspect the administration will be more in favour in reviewing your request to re-open your ability to vote again.

It won't happen over night, but perhaps over time, the admins will consider your request.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1444 posts
466 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:21 am
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes. What you receive in votes though is simply a reflection of your posting quality (or perhaps others are voting towards you in a similar fashion as you've voted towards others). The bigger concern however is that you rarely up-vote anyone (only 21 times), but you've downvoted over 500 times.

That being said, if you improve the quality of your posts, try to standout in the community as an asset, and try to overall be helpful around here, I suspect the administration will be more in favour in reviewing your request to re-open your ability to vote again.

It won't happen over night, but perhaps over time, the admins will consider your request.
Well said.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3335 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
WorldIRC wrote:
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes.
How does one improve the quality of their posts when the downvotes convey no information about why they were cast, i.e. what was it about the quality of the post that the downvoter found to be objectionable?

I appreciate that sometimes it's obvious, e.g. a blatantly rude comment(*). Even so, one person's interpretation of rudeness may not reflect the poster's intent. Or perhaps the poster's command of English isn't good enough to realize that their language is taken as rude. Or maybe the poster didn't realize that their comment was a double-entendre, etc.

But often the reason isn't so obvious. How does a poster know if their post got downvoted because it contained factually incorrect information, expressed a (respectful or not) opinion that the downvoter disagreed with, wasn't a "deal" in the downvoter's opinion, violated one of the posting rules of this forum (and if so, which one?)(*), was a duplicate of some other thread, contained a spelling/grammatical error, was clicked in error (the two icons are side-by-side), etc?

P.S. (*) in these cases ISTM a more appropriate action would be to report the post rather than downvote it. That would result in faster intervention by the moderators.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13437 posts
3342 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:29 am
But often the reason isn't so obvious. How does a poster know if their post got downvoted because it contained factually incorrect information, expressed a (respectful or not) opinion that the downvoter disagreed with, wasn't a "deal" in the downvoter's opinion, violated one of the posting rules of this forum (and if so, which one?), was a duplicate of some other thread, contained a spelling/grammatical error, was clicked in error (the two icons are side-by-side), etc?
I agree

I also get the impression he wants to get back to his downvoting binge, he is practically desperate to get the ability back and defends his actions instead of accepting his mistakes. He blames others for not liking what he does to them
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Sep 27, 2003
8217 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:41 am
I agree

I also get the impression he wants to get back to his downvoting binge, he is practically desperate to get the ability back and defends his actions instead of accepting his mistakes. He blames others for not liking what he does to them
I agree
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8217 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
bylo wrote:
How does one improve the quality of their posts when the downvotes convey no information about why they were cast, i.e. what was it about the quality of the post that the downvoter found to be objectionable?

I appreciate that sometimes it's obvious, e.g. a blatantly rude comment(*). Even so, one person's interpretation of rudeness may not reflect the poster's intent. Or perhaps the poster's command of English isn't good enough to realize that their language is taken as rude. Or maybe the poster didn't realize that their comment was a double-entendre, etc.

But often the reason isn't so obvious. How does a poster know if their post got downvoted because it contained factually incorrect information, expressed a (respectful or not) opinion that the downvoter disagreed with, wasn't a "deal" in the downvoter's opinion, violated one of the posting rules of this forum (and if so, which one?)(*), was a duplicate of some other thread, contained a spelling/grammatical error, was clicked in error (the two icons are side-by-side), etc?

P.S. (*) in these cases ISTM a more appropriate action would be to report the post rather than downvote it. That would result in faster intervention by the moderators.
I agree. We did ask for visibility on votes. Not only who voted, but why. Can't improve if people just hide behind their votes. We'll see what the admins decide.

That being said...he has received a lot of downvotes. Over 500. I'm sure he can figure out why just by reviewing his post history. That being said, he's also received nearly triple that in up-votes. So while many do find his posts useful, 30% are in disagreement or some other reason we don't know of, due to lack of visibility.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28224 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:

I don't know what the RFD management was thinking when they introduced down voting and with that, don't know what they wanted to achieve. It would be a respectful gesture to all members if they would let us know the why and the what of this system.
I have lots of down votes...some going back almost 10 years but they are scattered about. Clearly someone is or was searching old posts just to down vote. I have reported them but they do not get removed. Anyway, I have come to think of downvoting as relaying I do not agree with the post or, is factually incorrect, as you indicated.
So, has this downvoting made the topic better or just enraged the people receiving them? I was all for trying to make them visible but now I think if RFD did that, there would be nothing more than revenge voting going on. It just brings up the question again, why is there even down votes. What is the reason, objective or outcome besides a long thread like this (and others) and, it seems people leaving RFD?

Good luck in your venture WorldIRC :)
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3866 posts
1658 upvotes
:lol: you are all wasting words here. I am not serious. @TomRFD told me to PM him to discuss it. I didn't because I don't care. I get downvotes usually because I argue with anyone who is wrong, and then some don't even accept they are wrong. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes I have a never-expiring infraction for Rudeness with contributions from @coolintheshade and @MrDisco. I received 7~% of my downvotes just yesterday from the [Public Mobile] $50/month 6GB not LTE thread. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

@bylo is right by the way. I was downvoting all spelling mistakes I notice, posts I don't like, and some people's posts without even reading. Now, I reply to them and receive my own downvotes.

@Quentin5 maybe learn the definition of desperate before using it again.
Last edited by hvwozq on Jul 15th, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25382 posts
2748 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WorldIRC wrote:
My personal opinion is that you may wish to consider improving the quality of your posts in an effort to avoid receiving downvotes.
I agree that a poor quality post may yield someone down voting it. I like to think that I post relevant or well though out opinions / advice. I find that I will get a down vote simply because someone doesn't agree with my opinion.

I have since refrained from voting. The system is abused and I just ignore it. If you don't agree with my opinion, feel free to down vote it. It doesn't affect who I am.

For the record, I have never given a down vote to anyone. If I thought a deal was poor or I didn't agree with their comment. I may post a reply, but I would never down vote it.

For some strange reason, I have one down vote registered in my profile and I am positive I have never given one.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3335 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gee wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 4:50 pm
I have since refrained from voting.
I think upvoting is a good way to show one's general appreciation with a post. An explanation isn't necessary but, of course, you can always give it by way of a Reply.
For the record, I have never given a down vote to anyone...For some strange reason, I have one down vote registered in my profile and I am positive I have never given one.
As I said above, the two icons are side-by-side so it's not that hard to click on the wrong one by accident. You can PM a moderator to have that downvote erased from your Profile.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)