None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9968 posts
2977 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:32 pm
@WorldIRC thank you for talking to the RFD administration about making the downvotes public. I think that is a great idea.
Ditto.

Also kudos to WorldIRC and Pete_Coach for demonstrating that it's possible to hold a respectful, civil discussion about a contentious issue.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Sep 27, 2003
8022 posts
1435 upvotes
Newmarket
bylo wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:17 am
Ditto.

Also kudos to WorldIRC and Pete_Coach for demonstrating that it's possible to hold a respectful, civil discussion about a contentious issue.
I just hope that the right people address the feedback and hopefully take it into account when the program is reviewed.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
8022 posts
1435 upvotes
Newmarket
I have one concern with making downvotes public, and that's the potential for backlash, or flame wars on the site. What are other's thoughts on opening up the list vs. removing downvotes all together and avoiding that situation?

The other thought that came to mind was keeping the downvotes private but removing the total downvote count from a user's profile, therefore removing any associated "stigma" with downvotes.
RFD Forums Moderator
May 28, 2012
9317 posts
1719 upvotes
Saskatoon
My choice would be to get rid of downvoting altogether. I have never used it and I don't think it does much good. It might have been started out with the best intentions, but it has resulted in some members posting less because they don't want to get downvoted for frivolous reasons. Alternately, there are members who hardly, if ever, post, and all they do is downvote. That is not right, imo.
Sep 27, 2003
8022 posts
1435 upvotes
Newmarket
Mars2012 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:03 am
My choice would be to get rid of downvoting altogether. I have never used it and I don't think it does much good. It might have been started out with the best intentions, but it has resulted in some members posting less because they don't want to get downvoted for frivolous reasons. Alternately, there are members who hardly, if ever, post, and all they do is downvote. That is not right, imo.
I do believe overall, this is the best option.
RFD Forums Moderator
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8137 posts
12557 upvotes
Scarborough
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:05 am
I do believe overall, this is the best option.
We're going to be reviewing the voting system soon and this is one of the options being considered. Down voting for OP's will likely still remain but since those are detached from users already, it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully I'll have an update on this by the end of next week.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4142 posts
2208 upvotes
Montreal
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:16 am

Because instead of posting disagreement, people just click a button now. Hopefully we can get that list made visible to provide visibility. Still waiting on admins to review though.
Well, just to prove you wrong, I posted 'disagreement' today in a thread where totally wrong information was posted. So what do I get for posting the correct information? A slew of downvotes and condescending replies probably from the 2 posters (ironically one who is active on this thread and not understanding why he gets so many downvotes) who I corrected. So how do you think I reacted? I simply responded in the same tone and issued downvotes of my own. So you can add having your ego bruised and butthurt as another reason to downvote. Great system eh? :D

EDIT.....And to add. Another poster agreed with me and posted more correct information and now he has 2 downnvotes for his troubles. That poster is so butthurt anyone questioning his incorrect information gets a downvote. Too funny. :D
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3629 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora
ottofly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:20 pm
Well, just to prove you wrong, I posted 'disagreement' today in a thread where totally wrong information was posted. So what do I get for posting the correct information? A slew of downvotes and condescending replies probably from the 2 posters (ironically one who is active on this thread and not understanding why he gets so many downvotes) who I corrected. So how do you think I reacted? I simply responded in the same tone and issued downvotes of my own. So you can add having your ego bruised and butthurt as another reason to downvote. Great system eh? :D

EDIT.....And to add. Another poster agreed with me and posted more correct information and now he has 2 downnvotes for his troubles. That poster is so butthurt anyone questioning his incorrect information gets a downvote. Too funny. :D
Well to be fair, the tone of your post (if I got what you're referring to right) did sound just a bit personal as you attacked his video and questioned his credibility as a poster. I'd say general niceness and civility is important as are facts. But did you deserve the downvotes? Probably not. For the record, I support completely doing away with downvoting.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4142 posts
2208 upvotes
Montreal
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 5:11 pm
Well to be fair, the tone of your post (if I got what you're referring to right) did sound just a bit personal as you attacked his video and questioned his credibility as a poster. I'd say general niceness and civility is important as are facts. But did you deserve the downvotes? Probably not. For the record, I support completely doing away with downvoting.
Of course the tone of post may be crass, I'm being downvoted into oblivion posting the correct information. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Obviously I'm going to question the credibility of a self proclaimed 'aircraft engineer' as he knows very well he is wrong. And I know he knows he's wrong. The ego gets hurt so they respond how, with a slew of downvotes lol...I've got 9 so far for correcting wrong information, all from the same 2 posters no doubt. So no one else wants to get involved, cause they'll also be hammered with downvotes. So I respond in kind. Just thought I'd contribute on why people don't post unless they are towing the RFD line. Too funny :D
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1026 posts
295 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Mars2012 wrote:
If you're going to get rid of down votes, might as well get rid of upvotes too

If rfd needs to create a safe space for those who can't even handle down votes on a deals forum online , then why have voting at all.

It's no different than not keeping score in a sports game if nothing negative or criticism is allowed

People post bad deals and wrong information all the time, downvotes work to bury those

Rfd tried to emulate Reddit at users request and now regrets it. Which is fine, have no upvotes or downvotes at all

It's stupid and pointless to only allow upvotes.

Are there so many members who are insecure that they need to worry about inconsequential downvotes on a deals forum online?

And people saying downvotes should be explained? Then upvotes needs to be explained as well
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9968 posts
2977 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Mars2012 wrote:
I agree. Moreover consider why someone might want to post a "legitimate" downvote. (As opposed to someone who's just vindictive, flaming or being frivolous, etc.)
1. If it's because the poster made a serious violation of the rules then they should Report that to moderators. That will get action faster and more effectively than a downvote.
2. If it's a minor transgression then they'd help everyone out by posting a polite reminder/explanation in the thread.
3. If it's because a poster made a factual error then surely posting a correction or clarification rather than a downvote without explanation is more constructive approach.
4. And if it's because they disagree with another poster's opinion then it's better to say so and explain why you disagree.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1026 posts
295 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
bylo wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:07 pm
I agree. Moreover consider why someone might want to post a "legitimate" downvote. (As opposed to someone who's just vindictive, flaming or being frivolous, etc.)
1. If it's because the poster made a serious violation of the rules then they should Report that to moderators. That will get action faster and more effectively than a downvote.
2. If it's a minor transgression then they'd help everyone out by posting a polite reminder/explanation in the thread.
3. If it's because a poster made a factual error then surely posting a correction or clarification rather than a downvote without explanation is more constructive approach.
4. And if it's because they disagree with another poster's opinion then it's better to say so and explain why you disagree.
Downvotes because someone posted a deal that's not hot or something that's wrong

Majority of people don't have time to go through all the comments/posts to discover if a post is valid /good or not. A upvotes/downvote aggregates and disseminate the results quickly

I mean all successful sites just have an upvote/downvote system such as Netflix, TripAdvisor, Amazon, eBay, rotten tomatoes, etc...it's all just a upvotes/downvote aggregate and out pops a score that's a ratio of the upvotes/downvotes

Those with time to kill can read individual posts/reviews if they want more details

Reddit and Slickdeals etc are much more successful due to upvotes/downvotes and a lot more useful

Should upvotes be explained as well?

Not like a single user can downvote a post multiple times and a user's upvote/downvote can't be seen without clicking into profile and the ratio has absolutely zero relevance whatsoever to their activity on here

A post or thread with many downvotes is a good indicator to avoid or do more due diligence. This is 2017, where everything is instant... upvotes/downvotes allow you to instantly decide if it's worth looking into.

Who has time to click into every post/thread, some of which are many pages long to find out if a deal is good or not . A quick glance in the hot deals or whatever forum now instantly by number of net votes allows you me to decide to click in or not
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12822 posts
2938 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:07 pm
A post or thread with many downvotes is a good indicator to avoid or do more due diligence. This is 2017, where everything is instant... upvotes/downvotes allow you to instantly decide if it's worth looking into.
Not really, the title tells me whether its worth looking into, a thread with 200+ upvotes selling grey market windows licenses does not make me want to buy it, another thread with a $30 tool chest at Home Depot grabs my interest even if it was rated -10 because people don't like the grade of steel used in it (for $30 its not going to be on par with $500-1000 items) or its not available in their province so they downvoted it
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1026 posts
295 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:28 pm
Not really, the title tells me whether its worth looking into, a thread with 200+ upvotes selling grey market windows licenses does not make me want to buy it, another thread with a $30 tool chest at Home Depot grabs my interest even if it was rated -10 because people don't like the grade of steel used in it (for $30 its not going to be on par with $500-1000 items) or its not available in their province so they downvoted it
And nobody is saying get rid of the titles... So that's a moot point .

Well just like ratings and rankings .. they're all important and while there maybe exceptional circumstances as you hypothesised where a low ranked thread is of interest to you and a high ranked one isn't. Just like in real world..the aggregate matters most ...

No different than a credit score or cgpa ...sure lots of reasons why they maybe bad. But it allows quick filtering that 99% of people want majority of the time

Title is like the name of the hotel/restaurant/product... the upvote/downvote is a quick summary of people's rating of that item . Sure title/name is probably most impt...second would be the ranking/rating . No different than going through TripAdvisor or Amazon and sort by ratings