• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10928 posts
1487 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I posted a thread in Hot Deals and it already has down votes, even though no one has even been to this sale yet. This is the last hot deal I post here, 'cuz why even bother.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Sep 27, 2003
8176 posts
1552 upvotes
Newmarket
Becks wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 6:40 pm
I posted a thread in Hot Deals and it already has down votes, even though no one has even been to this sale yet. This is the last hot deal I post here, 'cuz why even bother.
One of the downvoters should be obvious and there reasons explained in the thread.
The other downvoter, likely agrees with the downvoter that is participating in the thread.

I don't think you were downvoted for your post, but rather the quality of the sale details. Further, the OP being downvotes does NOT count towards your downvote score.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Becks wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 6:40 pm
It's clear why it was downvoted and deserved. We should discourage bad behavior/deals and reward good ones

We should discourage posting of deals that aren't hot. It's like back in the day when people posted mdg dealz
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13299 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 7:15 pm
It's clear why it was downvoted and deserved

We should discourage posting of deals that aren't hot. It's like back in the day when people posted mdg dealz
I don't like amazon deals that expire after 15 minutes but telling people not to post hot deals because we don't like them shoots us in the foot, if a deal comes along that benefits me i will be very happy it was posted.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2935 posts
2091 upvotes
Burnaby
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 6:49 pm
One of the downvoters should be obvious and there reasons explained in the thread.
The other downvoter, likely agrees with the downvoter that is participating in the thread.

I don't think you were downvoted for your post, but rather the quality of the sale details. Further, the OP being downvotes does NOT count towards your downvote score.
True in most cases. Though, I noticed a fringe case this week when a thread was moved out from Hot Deals and merged with an existing thread in SD that predated the former. The OP of the thread being merged in was no longer the thread starter (the [OP] of the merged threads) and the downvotes casted earlier in their opening post were tallied as if casted on a regular reply [i.e., they appeared on the user's stats/profile]. That was the case of someone who started a thread about the Sears closeouts in Hot Deals (a rookie mistake because they should have posted the thread in Shopping Discussion) and got their thread merged in an existing thread about the same topic in SD [got ~20 downvotes in the opening post before the merge]. I haven't witnessed a similar case when merging duplicate (repost) threads in Hot Deals yet, but I'm pretty sure that the same fringe case may occur.
yare yare daze...
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 7:22 pm
I don't like amazon deals that expire after 15 minutes but telling people not to post hot deals because we don't like them shoots us in the foot, if a deal comes along that benefits me i will be very happy it was posted.
Well there's limited real estate in hot deals..much like on Reddit or slick deals...a fringe item or poor deal will get downvoted

And not telling people not to post deals...just harnessing the community to sort through the good and bad deals through upvotes and downvotes..that's whole point of this forum. The upvotes/downvotes just modernize the process to keep up with progress and current trends and preferences
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13299 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 8:48 pm
Well there's limited real estate in hot deals..much like on Reddit or slick deals...a fringe item or poor deal will get downvoted

And not telling people not to post deals...just harnessing the community to sort through the good and bad deals through upvotes and downvotes..that's whole point of this forum. The upvotes/downvotes just modernize the process to keep up with progress and current trends and preferences
So the number and quality of hot deals drastically changed the day downvotes were introduced (coincidence of course)
Sorry, the answer is still not to go back to Sears catalogues
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10286 posts
3186 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Here's another example of why downvotes as currently implemented are absurd. In [Koodo] 32GB Pixel XL, $604/Pixel $504 (plus sim card + 1 day's service) a user asks "does anyone know how much it'd cost to unlock the phone?"

They get 3 downvotes. I realize some people may consider this to be a "dumb" question. After all "everyone" knows that Google phones are all unlocked. But still, why penalize someone who isn't a phone geek for asking a perfectly reasonable question? That's hardly a courteous way to treat a fellow RFDer. Worse, imagine how such behaviour makes other newbies or lurkers feel who may want to post their questions on RFD. It hardly encourages them to participate.

[BTW a look at this poster's downvote history suggests that these downvotes may be the result of personal agendas in response to this posters comments on other threads. IOW these downvotes may have nothing to do with what this poster actually asked. If that theory is true then this is just a futher indictment of downvoting as currently implemented.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13299 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
Very interesting @bylo, i saw a discounted divorce papers application on Wagjag (no joke), i am half tempted to post it in hot deals just for the lols (and downvotes) Face With Tears Of Joy
This reminds me that on some forums trolls are known to post nonsense because its a game to see how negative they can get their score. I assume this would be frowned upon on RFD Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36501 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:00 pm
The reason they prefer not to come out in public to discuss it is because they are likely wrong, without a valid argument. This is a clear example of why the downvote feature is bad in its current form. It's encouraging users to troll in complete anonymity. The internet is already anonymous enough. Giving the trolls access to a downvote feature like this is just asking for trouble.

I know who you are talking about by the way (the person downvoting me). They have some sort of personal vendetta against me. I don't appreciate the downvotes, even if it's only 25. It should not be allowed.
EXACTLY!!
Check out this thread I started.

camping-5-people-4-days-1-car-2108851/4/#p27936958

Here I ask for tips on how to pull of camping for 5 people with 1 car. I didn't ask if it was a good idea. Or about the comfort level of the 3 passengers in the back. I got comments from people thinking they know my friends more than I do... WE AGREED TO IT. We actually thought the trip would be more fun that way.
It was full of people telling me how its IMPOSSIBLE.
b166er1337 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 5:52 pm
Clearly you have not camped much before. Can you pull it off? Sure. Is it awful experience that the rear passengers may never speak to you again? That's possible.

You simply don't have space to pack all the following:
  • 2 tents or more. (don't tell me you are sharing a tent with 5 people for 3 nights)
  • 5 3-season sleeping bags, pillows
  • 5 comfortable sleeping pads
  • a few lounge chairs
  • stove
  • cooler
  • food and drink for 4 people for 5 days
  • cooking utensils, plates, gas cans
  • cameras, tripods
  • luggage for 4 people for 5 days

In short, to save a few bucks you are well on the way to ruin a wonderful camping experience by not taking a second car.
And this is coming from a supposedly experienced camper who has a frigging back pack as his signature.
Mission complete.

I did pull it off. And when I posted the results plus advice on how to road trip under limited conditions, I was met with down votes....

LEts psychologically dissect this.

I asked for advice on something that most people would find uncomfortable or not appealing. It was also advice on a problem that needed to be solved. People couldn't find solutions to this problem, thus they were angered or put off by me defiantly insisting that it was possible... defiantly seeking advice on how to. Thus the down votes. Some even out right saying its impossible, or that people couldn't possibly enjoy it... They were angered by the fact that I was not only able to pull it off... But angered that my passengers actually didn't care about sitting in the back seat... Perhaps it made them feel inferior that they've gotten used to life's modern luxuries... And thought that this could only be pulled off with a 15 passenger cube van or a tractor trailer.
They were angered by 5 adults who went camping with 1 car, and actually enjoyed it with many lasting memories.

Thing is.. .I didn't get a kick out of proving everyone wrong... Or showing that I had a good time.. or telling that my passengers genuinely had a good time... and friggin high 5'd me and toasted me till I fell over... I was just kind of put off by the snideness of everyone... Even one guy was distasteful enough to use a car accident that happened during the trip to poke fun.

By the way... The car accident happened when I WASNT DRIVING, and happened to an inexperienced driver. And the car was UNLOADED!!!! THE CAMP SITE WAS ALREADY SETUP WITH ALL GEAR UNLOADED FROM THE VEHICLE. But people were using every bit of ammunition they could get their hands on to insult me. Many hints that the accident was caused by a fully loaded car... Which it wasnt. PLus I have police reports and pictures to prove them DEAD WRONG AGAIN.

i wasn't confrontational in that thread at all... I may seem like it in this post, but I was just trying to vent. The down voting system can be poisonous.

Down votes should ONLY be used for highly offensive comments. Or REALLY bad attitude. NOT because you disagree with someones opinion. NOT because you got proved wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9673 posts
3990 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I've done minimalistic camping like that in my late teens. Try pulling it off with only a Vespa scooter carrying gear+food for a weekend lol
I remember thoroughly enjoying it! I then progressed to less gear but smarter, portaging in Algonquin.
These days, my wife/kids won't put up with that, I drive a pickup loaded with gear and pull a trailer to a hydro site.

Bottom line is there are many types of camping and fun is in the eye of the beholder.
The voting system is only ideal in Hot Deals. Leave it out of discussion forums. If something is off, report it.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13299 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 7:53 pm
I've done minimalistic camping like that in my late teens. Try pulling it off with only a Vespa scooter carrying gear+food for a weekend lol
I remember thoroughly enjoying it! I then progressed to less gear but smarter, portaging in Algonquin.
These days, my wife/kids won't put up with that, I drive a pickup loaded with gear and pull a trailer to a hydro site.
I don't peruse the travel forum so i didn't see that thread but its certainly doable, especially with the roof cargo box.
Minimal is about how you see it, i've known people who rent moving vans and take couches to camp (i'm not exaggerating) and some do practically live off the land. OP was in between. I don't get the back seat comments though, 3 hours is peanuts, for me thats a short road trip (real road trips are southern Ontario to Halifax or Boston or Texas). Normally i would take a break every 3-4 hours, never mind arrive at the first break. If everyone fits in the vehicle then there is no problem.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10249 posts
3628 upvotes
Hey @WorldIRC, it happened again, have a look:
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Problem with Scotiabank Amex Dispute with Amazon"
Jul 23rd, 2017 7:03 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Can anyone recommend any good fence builders?"
Jul 23rd, 2017 7:02 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Suggest a PC for 4k content."
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "T Fal Fry Pans 27cm - $10.50 20cm - $7.50"
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Best reshipper from USA to Canada?"
Jul 23rd, 2017 7:01 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Costco vs grocers vs butcher shops for meat"
Jul 23rd, 2017 7:00 pm
Again, someone is searching through my post history and just downvoting everything. My helpful post in the Amex dispute really stands out, along with my helpful post in computer forum.

I suspect it's superfresh89, he has been extremely hostile and rude in a thread about meat in the shopping discussion forum and I'm quite convinced that he downvoted every single one of my posts in the thread.

It's sad that there are so many people on here abusing this feature.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9673 posts
3990 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 8:04 pm
...i've known people who rent moving vans and take couches to camp
... and their massive speakers lol. That totally reminds me of Sunshine Park in Wasaga, far from "camping", just a party fest, no sleep the whole weekend

Yes, the backseat comments and downvotes in UP's thread are uncalled for.
Sep 27, 2003
8176 posts
1552 upvotes
Newmarket
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 8:10 pm
Hey @WorldIRC, it happened again, have a look:

Again, someone is searching through my post history and just downvoting everything. My helpful post in the Amex dispute really stands out, along with my helpful post in computer forum.

I suspect it's superfresh89, he has been extremely hostile and rude in a thread about meat in the shopping discussion forum and I'm quite convinced that he downvoted every single one of my posts in the thread.

It's sad that there are so many people on here abusing this feature.
You are correct in your assumptions and that user definitely qualifies as an "abuser" of downvoting. I will ask Tom to investigate.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller