• Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27746 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 5:51 pm
Will existing downvote counts be retained or wiped?
They'll make an exception and keep yours public. lol
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28240 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 11:00 am
Likely wiped. If removed there'd be no sense in keeping that data. At least not publicly.
So, there is data to be or being gathered? To what end?
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12855 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 3:33 pm
So, there is data to be or being gathered? To what end?
There's a table for downvotes. If we decide to remove the downvotes it'll likely just hide the option rather than completely writing the code out. The previous votes would remain (in the table) in that case but won't be visible to anyone. It may work out that it gets completely wiped but that's a decision dev will make come the time.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28240 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 3:40 pm
There's a table for downvotes. If we decide to remove the downvotes it'll likely just hide the option rather than completely writing the code out. The previous votes would remain (in the table) in that case but won't be visible to anyone. It may work out that it gets completely wiped but that's a decision dev will make come the time.
Thanks Tom
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3886 posts
985 upvotes
One of the things that is also ridiculous is that if you express innocuous criticism in the first page of a thread, you can quickly end up something like 20 or 30 downvotes.

And it is not the really good, longwinded posts that are rewarded, it's the one line knee-jerk reactions that boost people's egos.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13447 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:38 pm
One of the things that is also ridiculous is that if you express innocuous criticism in the first page of a thread, you can quickly end up something like 20 or 30 downvotes.

And it is not the really good, longwinded posts that are rewarded, it's the one line knee-jerk reactions that boost people's egos.
I find it funny that this thread about downvotes has 9 downvotes.
Does that mean they don't like downvotes, or they don't like the possible future of not downvoting?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9847 posts
4226 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:38 pm

That is a very accurate assessment of an adverse effect of the voting system.

It prevents people from expressing their opinion when yes, I want to know if something isn't well liked; while comedy encourages others to come up with less than useful one liners.
Sep 27, 2003
8221 posts
1586 upvotes
Newmarket
Quentin5 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:52 pm
I find it funny that this thread about downvotes has 9 downvotes.
Does that mean they don't like downvotes, or they don't like the possible future of not downvoting?
Maybe they're just troll votes. Guess we'll never know. Those that downvoted the OP have no pattern. Some are normal active members, some are those that have more downvotes given than upvotes, one is a banned member, and another is, I believe, on the list of downvote abusers.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10529 posts
3342 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
WorldIRC wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 7:08 am
Maybe they're just troll votes. Guess we'll never know. Those that downvoted the OP have no pattern. Some are normal active members, some are those that have more downvotes given than upvotes one is a banned member, and another is, I believe, on the list of downvote abusers
Which only underscores how meaningless and even absurd downvoting is.

While I hope that RFD decides to get rid of downvotes altogether, if you don't then ask yourselves why the downvotes of banned users, and especially downvote abusers, are allowed to stand. ISTM that once a member has behaved so badly as to deserve either sanction their votes (perhaps even upvotes) should be deemed invalid and subtracted from everyone else's records.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 27, 2003
8221 posts
1586 upvotes
Newmarket
bylo wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 8:01 am
Which only underscores how meaningless and even absurd downvoting is.

While I hope that RFD decides to get rid of downvotes altogether, if you don't then ask yourselves why the downvotes of banned users, and especially downvote abusers, are allowed to stand. ISTM that once a member has behaved so badly as to deserve either sanction their votes (perhaps even upvotes) should be deemed invalid and subtracted from everyone else's records.
I believe those flagged as downvote abusers have had their downvotes reversed (I only said I believe that one user was on the list as I'm not sure where the investigation ended up for that user). Banned members do not automatically have their downvotes reversed (unless they were also banned as a result of being a downvote abuser, which I haven't come across yet).
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8221 posts
1586 upvotes
Newmarket
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 1:26 pm
LOL. I just had to post this. McDonald's $0.67 burgers in Hot Deals. Innocent comment downvoted 85 times.
mcdonalds-0-67-hamburgers-1-17-cheesebu ... #p28105974
Wow -85 score. A lot of the downvoters are those that complain about downvoting and / or start fights in the OT forum.
RFD Forums Moderator
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
How to not get downvote? Asking question and posting relevant information in thread earned me downvotes....Astonished Face
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1446 posts
467 upvotes
Ottawa
I just received 6 downvotes in succession. I won't say how but it wasn't hard to figure out who it was. I called this person out via PM and the response was very indicative of a child who was found with his hand in the candy jar. What was so disappointing is that this person was a long standing member on the forum and contributes significantly to many threads - totally unexpected. I personally do not downvote and if I'm wrong, I am quick to admit it. Better to move on and agree to disagree. Anyway, I see this person in a totally different light now.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28240 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
sandav wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 5:09 pm
I just received 6 downvotes in succession. I won't say how but it wasn't hard to figure out who it was. I called this person out via PM and the response was very indicative of a child who was found with his hand in the candy jar. What was so disappointing is that this person was a long standing member on the forum and contributes significantly to many threads - totally unexpected. I personally do not downvote and if I'm wrong, I am quick to admit it. Better to move on and agree to disagree. Anyway, I see this person in a totally different light now.
And how do you know who this person is and how do you know that the down votes you received were not warranted?
Accusations and assumptions and making claims in PM's is quite presumptuous? Perhaps that person sees you in a very different light as well (if they had ever even looked at you before)?
I certainly RFD does away with these down votes soon. :)