• Aug 30th, 2017 2:49 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13916 posts
881 upvotes
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 1:41 pm
Astonished Face

Wow! First time I ever saw someone get down-voted into oblivion.
if I remember correctly the OP of this thread got over 100 down votes for the thread and another 500 according to some posts for their other posts. Since it was locked it doesn't show them anymore, but the OPs profile still does. It was a slaughter.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 27, 2003
8216 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
Ojam wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 3:13 pm
if I remember correctly the OP of this thread got over 100 down votes for the thread and another 500 according to some posts for their other posts. Since it was locked it doesn't show them anymore, but the OPs profile still does. It was a slaughter.
There's one user that basically downvotes every post in that thread. I will have the admins look into it as this would constitute abuse of the system in my opinion.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2295 posts
143 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes yikes!

I recall skimming over this thread and Poutinesauce was being pretty controversial.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Ojam wrote:
well deserved downvotes though

we aren't going to make this place like sports games that don't keep score and everybody gets a trophy are we?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13436 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 1:27 pm
we aren't going to make this place like sports games that don't keep score and everybody gets a trophy are we?
So we want competitive posts and trophies?
How about we look for deals and give others the benefits of our experience, if i know how to save you money on your energy bills and you know what cars are reliable we can exchange information and both benefit. Hence not like sports games at all.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 1:29 pm
So we want competitive posts and trophies?
How about we look for deals and give others the benefits of our experience, if i know how to save you money on your energy bills and you know what cars are reliable we can exchange information and both benefit. Hence not like sports games at all.
This is a deals site.. the whole point of existence of this site and form is to encourage competition

I mean do people come here looking for deals and save or what? If you give crappy suggestion be it for a product or saving energy..downvote for sure... conversely if it's good...upvoted

Yes. We definitely want competition in posts and everything on here...you see the best ayce sushi thread? Best place to book a cruise? If someone suggested MDG as best place for s computer or dealer as best place for new tires...downvote!
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13436 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 10:43 pm
This is a deals site.. the whole point of existence of this site and form is to encourage competition

I mean do people come here looking for deals and save or what? If you give crappy suggestion be it for a product or saving energy..downvote for sure... conversely if it's good...upvoted

Yes. We definitely want competition in posts and everything on here...you see the best ayce sushi thread? Best place to book a cruise? If someone suggested MDG as best place for s computer or dealer as best place for new tires...downvote!
This is a joke, downvote anything you don't like and shame anyone who posts something you don't like
No wonder you support the downvoting system.
And why do we need trophies?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3935 posts
522 upvotes
Aurora
Quentin5 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 11:36 pm
This is a joke, downvote anything you don't like and shame anyone who posts something you don't like
No wonder you support the downvoting system.
And why do we need trophies?
I agree completely. Keeping score fairly is one thing. Keeping score based on unknown, random, arbitrary rules is worthless.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12853 upvotes
Scarborough
Sorry I didn't get to post an update on Friday but I was offline for most of the day. We've gotten the go ahead to remove the down vote option on replies. The exact date it'll be removed is still unknown as it's not just a simple switch to flip. I'll post updates on the timeframe for that as I receive them.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 10:43 pm
If you give crappy suggestion be it for a product or saving energy..downvote for sure... conversely if it's good...upvoted
I agree with this. More, some folks give crappy opinions on purpose on regular basis, this becomes sort of agenda on social issues linked to personal enrichment schemes. Examples - housing bubble related threads with abundant real estate brokers advice camouflaged as ongoing forum member opinions, but serving their financial goals. Expectedly, in such cases downvotes may reflect other members opinion about the broker overall activity rather than a particular post that may look pretty innocent. However, main direction of this site is highlighting best deals, and in that respect folks IMHO should be given an option to reflect on a deal someone posted - good or bad. When number of negs is high - its a definitive sign of a bad deal.

Also, sometimes folks post workarounds to deals allowing to bypass certain restrictions. Those are usually posted within a targeted topic, so the only way to reflect collective experience about the workaround is Up/Down vote options on each post, rather than entire thread. My suggestion is to leave it to a Mod responsible for a certain forum section and regularly reading the content to decide, on which topics to turn Post Up/Down vote system On or Off. As to Topics Up/Down vote, again most reflect some sort of a deal, so this option is also very useful - for me in particular to get faster orientation and users experience bar.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10498 posts
3319 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 10:29 am
We've gotten the go ahead to remove the down vote option on replies.
Thank you!
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 12:50 pm
Keeping score based on unknown, random, arbitrary rules is worthless.
I'll give you an example. Some smaller internet providers advertise fast speeds at low price and extra perks. As number of users grow, they start posting mixed reviews with test results showing bad deal. The provider then offers some perks to a group of subscribers or own employees, who then post on regular basis the service is excellent, and also blackmail their competitors. But frequent forum members quickly recognize the paid nature of such ongoing non-substantiated posts, and start repeatedly down voting them to alert potential new subscribers of false information. We seen it again and again, and some such people and companies were banned on FRD. So flexibility in this matter may actually help forum admins to identify the bad guys.

Yes, this feature is at times abused. So on social topics it may be blocked, but on purely good deal topics it may be left on. Professional topics is a different matter. Lets say a guy thinks he discovered some good ideas on improving a house. But a real pro can read such post and object, these ideas violate electrical or building, or fire code, or best practices. I wouldn't take it personally, but rather learn a few new knowledge bits. So, why don't give it to the mods to decide on thread by thread basis? Of course, it requires the On/Off switch to be implemented any way.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 10:29 am
Sorry I didn't get to post an update on Friday but I was offline for most of the day. We've gotten the go ahead to remove the down vote option on replies. The exact date it'll be removed is still unknown as it's not just a simple switch to flip. I'll post updates on the timeframe for that as I receive them.
Thank You. A wise and sensible decision.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1422 posts
364 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Not sure why there is a removal of the down vote system just because some people abuse it. I will say that there are probably a good number of replies or threads that deserve down votes but now I will have to read them and find the info to decide for myself whether the thread is useful in any way or not (especially in hot deals). Rather than removing it I still think it should be revamped so that a person must provide a reason for a down vote which is visible to only the person who received the down vote. This would curb a lot of abuse because now trolls will need to type stuff rather than just click a button.
Oct 22, 2006
689 posts
386 upvotes
Ontario
flyingnurse wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 2:23 am
Not sure why there is a removal of the down vote system just because some people abuse it. I will say that there are probably a good number of replies or threads that deserve down votes but now I will have to read them and find the info to decide for myself whether the thread is useful in any way or not (especially in hot deals). Rather than removing it I still think it should be revamped so that a person must provide a reason for a down vote which is visible to only the person who received the down vote. This would curb a lot of abuse because now trolls will need to type stuff rather than just click a button.
I swore to myself that I would avoid participating in RFD anymore since the entire community has become toxic. But then I read a post like this...
now I will have to read them and find the info to decide for myself whether the thread is useful in any way or not
Call the police! You actually have to read a thread to make a decision yourself! Lord have mercy! Why does everyone have to be spoon-fed opinions? Can't you decide for yourself? What has become of this community? You're going to risk 2 minutes of your life to form your own opinion. Please, somebody think of the whales....