Tags:
[OP]
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4083 upvotes
Ottawa

Upvote off-topic

With downvotes being removed is there a logical reason I might be missing for not having upvotes in off-topic? I see people with well thought of posts with no way of giving them kudos. This would ultimately make me write a +1 or agreed followed by a sentence (which I don't take the time to do).

I just think being able to upvote a post in off-topic would make it more welcoming and less divisive.

am I missing something??
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1592 posts
952 upvotes
Ottawa
I think it should remain the way it is. Don't think upvoting will have any impact.

Some of the opinions, even by those shared by veteran posters, are way over the top imo. These posters, who I thought were "reasonable" in the main forums, showed an extremist point of view in off-topic. Not sure if they're venting (off-day?) or they have "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" predispositions.

This is why I don't generally post there.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3623 posts
2264 upvotes
Burnaby
Cas77 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:13 pm
Upvote off-topic

With downvotes being removed is there a logical reason I might be missing for not having upvotes in off-topic? I see people with well thought of posts with no way of giving them kudos. This would ultimately make me write a +1 or agreed followed by a sentence (which I don't take the time to do).

I just think being able to upvote a post in off-topic would make it more welcoming and less divisive.

am I missing something??
Subjects and positions in Off Topic are too polarized and voting would be prone to abuse by cliques. You already see that kind of behaviour from members afraid to speak their opinion by themselves but who frequently quote a trolling post (or shitpost) and encourage its poster with a "+1" or "well said".
sandav wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:38 pm
I think it should remain the way it is. Don't think upvoting will have any impact.

Some of the opinions, even by those shared by veteran posters, are way over the top imo. These posters, who I thought were "reasonable" in the main forums, showed an extremist point of view in off-topic. Not sure if they're venting (off-day?) or they have "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" predispositions.

This is why I don't generally post there.
IMO, Red Flag Deals members reveal their true self in Off Topic.

==========

Let's wait and see how the forked Off Topic subforum for Politics/Religion develops [i.e., the RFD's version of 4chan /pol or reddit uncensored] -- I read that announced somewhere in SC&S. Anyway, I'm not a fan of subforums in Off Topic. ;)
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1592 posts
952 upvotes
Ottawa
aviador wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:32 pm
...IMO, Red Flag Deals members reveal their true self in Off Topic.
I'd have to agree with you there lol.
Sep 27, 2003
9280 posts
2130 upvotes
Newmarket
^As would I
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9678 posts
4038 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, think of the children!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7940 posts
1280 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I don't understand the concern. If you agree with a post, then why not be able to up vote it? I can't see how this is "prone to abuse".