None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
1846 posts
306 upvotes
Scarborough

Upvotes and Downvotes

If I'm not subscribed to a thread but participate in the discussion and I receive upvotes notifications, are those upvotes from my posts or are they in general from the entire thread? If it's the latter, why would I be notified that someone upvoted a post that I wasn't involved in? At first I thought it was my posts but then noticed there was no +1 to any of my posts so leads me to think it's a general upvote which doesn't make any sense.

Lastly, seems that if I start a thread I am not automatically subscribed to it even though I am the OP. I've seen posts going unnoticed because I thought there were no activity but it seems there's a lot happening without my knowledge.
123 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4219 posts
498 upvotes
North York
Upvote notifications are for your own posts.

If you want to get notified on activities from your started threads, you'll need to subscribe to them.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2529 posts
505 upvotes
Ottawa
Someone took offence at one of my posts, and proceeded to down vote 11 posts I made. Childish, of course, but I wondered has anyone else encountered this? Is this behaviour permitted, or should I just ignore it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
1846 posts
306 upvotes
Scarborough
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 5:58 pm
Upvote notifications are for your own posts.
Interestingly enough when I get a notification with an upvote or downvote I view my post and there is no voting happening? What causes this?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1557 posts
1631 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 2:28 pm
If I'm not subscribed to a thread but participate in the discussion and I receive upvotes notifications, are those upvotes from my posts or are they in general from the entire thread? If it's the latter, why would I be notified that someone upvoted a post that I wasn't involved in? At first I thought it was my posts but then noticed there was no +1 to any of my posts so leads me to think it's a general upvote which doesn't make any sense.
As @WhatADeal! mentioned, those upvote notifications are for your posts.

You will only see a "+" when you receive 2 or more upvotes for the same post. For example, if you post something and get an upvote for it, you won't see +1. If you receive a second upvote for the same post, then you will see +2. A third upvote yields +3. And so on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
1846 posts
306 upvotes
Scarborough
trystee wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 6:18 pm
As @WhatADeal! mentioned, those upvote notifications are for your posts.

You will only see a "+" when you receive 2 or more upvotes for the same post. For example, if you post something and get an upvote for it, you won't see +1. If you receive a second upvote for the same post, then you will see +2. A third upvote yields +3. And so on.
Alright makes sense now, so what about if I have 2 upvotes and it's visible and than someone downvotes me, does it become invisible because it's back to +1?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1557 posts
1631 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 8:56 pm
Alright makes sense now, so what about if I have 2 upvotes and it's visible and than someone downvotes me, does it become invisible because it's back to +1?
I know if you get 1 upvote and 1 downvote you see "0".

Not sure about +2 and a downvote. I can test it out on one of your posts, as long as you don't mind another downvote. :)
Oct 25, 2005
130 posts
34 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 5:46 pm
Someone took offence at one of my posts, and proceeded to down vote 11 posts I made. Childish, of course, but I wondered has anyone else encountered this? Is this behaviour permitted, or should I just ignore it?
I had exact same thing happen
It looks even stranger since I am an infrequent poster so I suddenly get downvotes on dead threads
Sep 27, 2003
7808 posts
1314 upvotes
Newmarket
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 5:46 pm
Please report it so we can investigate further and take action if necessary.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10297 posts
1325 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I frequently get downvotes. I am not a troll. I just find the downvoting system encourages negative feeling.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2849 posts
306 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Becks wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 1:09 pm
I frequently get downvotes. I am not a troll. I just find the downvoting system encourages negative feeling.
RFD has a LOT of people that take the internet way to seriously. Why RFD decided to become a reddit style circle jerk forum is beyond me. Not for nothing, but I am still selling things all the time and finding deals. I just cant be arsed to use RFD much any longer. This place has become that much of a cringe inducing circle jerk.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Administrator
Sep 26, 2010
422 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Reading this thread got me thinking: Are are users as negative with their votes as it seems? I know it's a bad feeling when somebody goes through your post history and downvotes stuff, but on the whole how do our users vote?

It turns out, it's actually quite skewed...positively! I pulled this data about 30 minutes ago.

Total voters: 72,894
Only negative voters: 282
Net-negative voters: 688
Dead-even voters: 248
Most dead-even voter: +68/-68. That’s dedication to balance!
Net-positive voters: 71,958
Only positive voters: 63,787

Voters with only one upvote: 20,893
Voters with only one downvote: 226

I hope this restores some faith in RFD's users.
Jan 12, 2016
15 posts
3 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Maybe it's because some people like me can only "upvote", when I clicked on "downvote" I got a msg telling me I don't have enough posts to downvote.
Jan 9, 2011
448 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver
What happened to the thread upvote count? Threads like Jerry's List of Credit Cards used was +200 or something, now I don't see upvote counts for any threads.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel