May 10, 2005
26293 posts
3140 upvotes
Ottawa
bubble.tea wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:35 pm
Running Tally for Downvotes (Received/Given):
Pete: You received 834 / You gave 494

Dude!!!!!!!!!! that's pretty intense. I thought I was bad, but your stats make me look like a featherweight in the 'I hate your posts' world of downvotes.

Mine: 160 / 36

I can't believe you've downvoted that much.

Next Poutine fest? you can tell us all about your war stories of downvoting your favourite mod...lol..come to think of it, I think I'm guilty of that. haha. I didn't realize they could see that. I must've hit one mod with a handful of downers haha.

No but seriously., who cares. Let the cowards hide behind their anonymity and keep downvoting your stuff, you keep doing you, with a :).

It's funny to draw the parallel with Facebook. In all the moons of 'likes'., they've never allowed a "thumbs-down". I guess RFD knows something facebook doesn't.
Also gotten over 3100 helpful votes. Early on bunfights when the down vote thing started accounted for a huge portion of the bad votes and that is why I am so against it.. I have gotten many down votes for posts that are 5+ years old.
Please stop. Don't tell me what to post or whom to up or down vote. I explained myself in this (and other) threads why I do what I do. Can't beat em or change it, then join em. That is also what it has become for many folks.
This is a forum.
Please stop PMing too.
You mentioned you are a public servant, you should not be on RFD on a public service computer or on public service time.
Done with you :)
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35614 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 5:46 pm
Someone took offence at one of my posts, and proceeded to down vote 11 posts I made. Childish, of course, but I wondered has anyone else encountered this? Is this behaviour permitted, or should I just ignore it?
Honestly... I think there are a lot of up vote angels. These are people who up vote people who get wrongly down voted... I noticed this. Especially since I'm a frequent poster. I get put on a hit list b/c of my opinions... I'll get down voted. Then an army of up votes come in to even it out. I seen it happen a few times.

I actually up vote people who I think get wrongly downvoted... Or if people are beating on a guy too hard (who is obviously ignorant, but shows a good attitude). Example... People might down vote a guy for posting a frequent question... Then says "whoops I hardly post here. Sorry!". They'll get an UP from me.

I'll also do it to people who get down voted because their opinion isn't agreed upon... I think downvotes should be for bad attitude, really offensive stuff.
Example... Someone comes in and post an article
"REal estate crash eminent?"
Hi guys... I saw this article on the newspaper website... IT says there could be a housing crash. What are the complications of this and how will it affect our society?"

Then people down vote them because they don't agree with a housing crash... But at the same time... The guy is just making conversation!

Then theres the awkward ones... "Man kills 5 babies and a puppy while drunk driving.". That'll get down votes... Even tho the poster isn't doing something wrong... Just sharing a "Warning lesson" to other drivers. Do you downvote b/c it sucks that babies and puppies died? You should just leave it... But puppies and babies died!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1272 posts
388 upvotes
Ottawa
Best thing really is to try to stay above the fray. I have no control over the system so why bother. I'm of the opinion that the number of downvotes given in one's profile says more about the person than downvotes received. Join me in silent protest and don't play the game. Message the moderator and have them remove the downvotes you've given. It's actually quite liberating.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9757 posts
2863 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sandav wrote:
May 16th, 2017 7:33 pm
I'm of the opinion that the number of downvotes given in one's profile says more about the person than downvotes received.
Message the moderator and have them remove the downvotes you've given. It's actually quite liberating.
I did several days ago but the 6 downs I gave (months ago to spammers and patently rude posters) are still showing. I'd really like to see that number set to zero.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27431 posts
609 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:16 pm
...you should not be on RFD on a public service computer or on public service time....
LOL. you've GOT to be kidding me. May want to inform yourself of what the employer allows and doesn't allow. Or do you just make your own rules and others have to follow?

Also, please assume harder what I am designating my usage time, what hours I work and when I don't, where I do it and where I don't, what I am allowed to do and what I'm not. I would've thought you were above that trashy assumption behaviour, guess I was mistaken.

Helpful doesn't echo in eternity. It's the thousand downers that do. Keep on truckin'. I'm done with you.

@sandav, lol @ liberating. If you've given hundreds of them...then yeah I'd call it more washing your sins away - absolution hehe. If it's a couple, then ok - liberating. You should be held accountable if you've delved into the silly downvotes. Honestly, who has time to click downs all day long..lol...sheesh.
???unlim CDN air&msging???unlim Global SMS???CD/VM???8Gb???$45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Tutorial: HotLinking Pics in Posts
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26293 posts
3140 upvotes
Ottawa
bubble.tea wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:50 am
LOL. you've GOT to be kidding me. May want to inform yourself of what the employer allows and doesn't allow. Or do you just make your own rules and others have to follow?
Helpful doesn't echo in eternity. ............ I'm done with you.
.......... I would've thought you were above that trashy assumption behaviour, guess I was mistaken.
.........lol...sheesh.
Was a manager. I don't make the rules, I know them though. :)
No "trashy assumptions".
https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=27122
Thank you for being done with me. I appreciate that.

[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 18th, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was removed
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel