Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1622 posts
58 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 1:09 pm
I frequently get downvotes. I am not a troll. I just find the downvoting system encourages negative feeling.
:(
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
25949 posts
2913 upvotes
Ottawa
I seem to have stalkers. I get nothing for quite a while then a whole bunch of downvotes in a day on different posts and some posts are weeks old.
I now play the game too.
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
May 31, 2016
183 posts
208 upvotes
A good example of how useless this system is, and how messed up some people posting here are: People are down voting a hot deals thread about a discount screening of Lego Batman for families with autistic members.
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
25949 posts
2913 upvotes
Ottawa
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 3:23 pm
A good example of how useless this system is, and how messed up some people posting here are: People are down voting a hot deals thread about a discount screening of Lego Batman for families with autistic members.
Well, it certainly looks like it is here to stay. RFD made some promises and failed to keep them or even provide feedback. Clearly they are OK with it.
RFD will just become a place for the vindictive to flourish. Ohhhh, I don't agree with you so, DownVote to you.
Let the abuse continue.
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
8864 posts
2885 upvotes
I have a couple of ideas for the downvote system in particular:

1. Only allow members to downvote once they have a minimum of 1,000 posts on RFD. I suspect some people are setting up shell accounts so that they can pile downvotes on to people they don't like. I highly suspect that there are a lot of people on RFD who never post anything and only downvote.

2. Ban members or give them a long vacation if their downvote count exceeds a certain ratio in relation to their upvote count. Perhaps make it 50/50. This is a hot deal forum, and by and large people should be "thanking" people for sharing deals, not downvoting others into oblivion.

3. Have a "report downvote" option in the "report post" feature. That would then allow the mods to use their discretion to determine whether or not someone is abusing the downvote feature.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3420 posts
202 upvotes
What does it matters anyways if you get upvotes or downvotes? Nothing happens to your account. It's just a status. You can't even see how many downvotes a person receives.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
8864 posts
2885 upvotes
Mr. Robo wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 6:11 pm
What does it matters anyways if you get upvotes or downvotes? Nothing happens to your account. It's just a status. You can't even see how many downvotes a person receives.
Because people are abusing the feature and it influences what other people think and do. It can damage the receiver's credibility, often with no merit and no recourse.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3350 posts
319 upvotes
Aurora
Mr. Robo wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 6:11 pm
Mr. Robo, I'm not sure I understand. As of Feb 26 evening, I see that you have:
198 Upvotes
22 Downvotes
211 Upvotes Given
50 Downvotes Given

That allows me to form an impression about you. Upvote/downvote received - You're a pretty helpful guy who doesn't tend to troll or push agendas, but also opinionated. Upvotes/downvotes given - you're quite generous with your thanks but also pretty quick to dish out downvotes and judging from that ratio, some may not be deserved. My impression of you is favourable, overall. Now, I may be more encouraged to quote you, participate in your threads, and engage you in a positive fashion.
I don't mean to single you out - feel free to check my stats. But maybe you care or don't care that people can jump to conclusions about you but the numbers are there for people to see.
Sep 27, 2003
7766 posts
1304 upvotes
Newmarket
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 11:14 pm
Please report it so we can investigate further and take action if necessary.
@Redsanta why did you downvote this post?

You've received 47 upvotes and 48 downvotes, but you've only given 2 upvotes yet given 24 downvotes. Definitely a trend worth investigating in more detail.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Dec 16, 2015
323 posts
76 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 8:09 pm
@Redsanta why did you downvote this post?

You've received 47 upvotes and 48 downvotes, but you've only given 2 upvotes yet given 24 downvotes. Definitely a trend worth investigating in more detail.
We'd like the same ability to see who downvoted our posts, just like the MODs can see theirs. This feature has been the most requested by the users here, however has been largely ignored. Now that it's confirmed this feature is actually available, it should be enabled for every users, not just the MODs.
Sep 27, 2003
7766 posts
1304 upvotes
Newmarket
Redsanta wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 9:06 pm
We'd like the same ability to see who downvoted our posts, just like the MODs can see theirs. This feature has been the most requested by the users here, however has been largely ignored. Now that it's confirmed this feature is actually available, it should be enabled for every users, not just the MODs.
It's enabled for us for the purposes of monitoring abuse. One of the many tools available to us that is not available to the public. I did suggest, though, opening up the votes so that everyone can see them. Not sure if the admins are a fan of that idea though.

Why'd you downvote me? It's not like its secret knowledge that mods can see who voted what.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2143 posts
622 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 3:02 pm
I seem to have stalkers. I get nothing for quite a while then a whole bunch of downvotes in a day on different posts and some posts are weeks old.
I now play the game too.
This happens on Reddit frequently. Someone doesn't like what you say or disagrees with you (why do people downvote because they disagree with you), and they will go through your post history and downvote everything. It's juvenile.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2143 posts
622 upvotes
Ottawa
Redsanta wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 9:06 pm
This would solve a lot of issues, yup.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2773 posts
324 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 8:23 am
This would solve a lot of issues, yup.
maybe ... or maybe it would create a lot of new issues ... Winking Face (but i would like to try it)
also bring the up/down to "off topic" ... entertainment and drama would reach a new levels Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2143 posts
622 upvotes
Ottawa
lubmar wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 8:54 am
maybe ... or maybe it would create a lot of new issues ... Winking Face (but i would like to try it)
also bring the up/down to "off topic" ... entertainment and drama would reach a new levels Face With Tears Of Joy
It could possibly cause more issues, sure, but people would be a lot less likely to downvote, and downvote your old posts for no reason, if there was some accountability behind it. And off topic would be entertaining.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel