• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 12:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
12029 posts
2153 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
IMO either display the downvoters or get rid of downvotes all together. I know when I downvote someone I put a post through saying I've downvoted them. That's at least a workaround for now.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Sr. Member
Mar 22, 2005
612 posts
665 upvotes
Québec,Qc
I just want to add my 2 cents to this.

I have a situation that occured to me where I had only ONE coupon to give... obviously to only one person as it was not a generic. I gave it to the first person to send me a message. I then got many other request that I had to decline and people were downvoting my message because, they weren't the one who got my coupon code.

From now, I don't even want to publicize the fact that I have something that cannot profit to everyone. I haave the choice to make one person happy and many other angry and for sure I'll geet more downvote (none or many) for this than upvote ( one or none)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
12029 posts
2153 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Hot deals forum = savagery
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 13, 2017
187 posts
960 upvotes
Little Turnip Land
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 5:46 pm
Someone took offence at one of my posts, and proceeded to down vote 11 posts I made. ...........................................
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 3:02 pm
I seem to have stalkers. I get nothing for quite a while then a whole bunch of downvotes in a day on different posts ..................

I have personably been a member obliviously for a short time and have an assed quiet a fan club . I joust half that type of defect on members of the human disgrace who like Whipping Cream.
Shucks to be me.

Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Free Sim Card + $25 Account Bonus with purchase of $100 SpeakOut Top Up"
Mar 1st, 2017 8:30 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "2017/03/05 etalk/BMI - L'Oréal Red Carpet Beauty Gift Bags (10 x $250.) Canada"
Mar 1st, 2017 8:28 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "2017/03/31 Health Canada - Focus on the Facts"
Mar 1st, 2017 8:27 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Mar 1st, 2017 8:17 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "FREE TV Channel Previews (HD & SD) Various Start & End Dates."
Mar 1st, 2017 8:17 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "FREE TV Channel Previews (HD & SD) Various Start & End Dates."
Mar 1st, 2017 8:17 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "IP Man Trilogy - $4"
Mar 1st, 2017 8:16 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "IP Man Trilogy - $4"
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "IP Man Trilogy - $4"
Mar 1st, 2017 4:59 am
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "IP Man Trilogy - $4"
Mar 1st, 2017 4:58 am
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
"Brawls break out again at same Chuck E. Cheese's in California."
"Stay Tuned For More Breaking Cheese @ 11"
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2014
972 posts
637 upvotes
I frequent the Hot Deals forum of this site and have done so for years.

People are issuing downvotes on threads in that forum in a way that I know is influencing whether people post deals there at all or not.

Over the years I have posted hundreds of deals there and if this continues, I will stop; and I am certain that I am not the only person who feels this way.

Admins need to drop this downvote "feature" immediately or risk people not posting deals which will render this forum inconsequential.
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."

and "Help your uncle Jack, off that horse."

Dump the downvote system: upvotes-downvotes-2070965/#p27573558
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
12188 posts
2571 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:30 pm
Well, it certainly looks like it is here to stay. RFD made some promises and failed to keep them or even provide feedback. Clearly they are OK with it.
RFD will just become a place for the vindictive to flourish. Ohhhh, I don't agree with you so, DownVote to you.
Let the abuse continue.
Indeed, i pointed out a shill and got downvoted for it.
Interestingly that downvote was rescinded.
I do not understand why downvoters are anonymous, RFD chooses to protect the trolls. I fail to understand why, protecting trolls leads to more trolling, not less.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
2809 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
The voting is making RFD more like Reddit however it does not reorganize order of conversations as such.

It helps to skip some bad threads or posts, but you still have to scan through the whole thing.

Why not just move to reddit format then? Or apply AI i.e. summarizer, ranking...etc.
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 10, 2005
25949 posts
2912 upvotes
Ottawa
Quentin5 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 2:55 pm
Indeed, i pointed out a shill and got downvoted for it.
Interestingly that downvote was rescinded.
I do not understand why downvoters are anonymous, RFD chooses to protect the trolls. I fail to understand why, protecting trolls leads to more trolling, not less.
The simple fact that one gets down votes while responding to a topic of down voting has to tell you how absurd it has become?
It is not even a matter of trolling anymore, it is just a get even tactic. Like I mentioned before, I get down votes that are for posts that are weeks or more old.....just from someone that wants to get back at me. I just got one for a 2013 post.
The admins have made a promise but their silence is deafening to the issues. I down vote now too. .....just because.

EDIT: Oh and, just to prove my point, soe person just gave me down vote for this post.....gotta ask, why?
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Mar 7th, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
8633 posts
3086 upvotes
Southern Ontario
^ Downvoting an old post should have a statute of limitations perse, people's opinions and thinking change. How someone feels about something or the inaccuracy they present due to lack knowledge whether they are corrected or discover the information themselves may be different from one week to the next. We can't expect someone with a post history especially an extensive one to go back and edit all their posts to make sure what they've said applies to their current mode of thought.
Member
User avatar
Nov 18, 2015
225 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hi RFD,

I can reply to threads, and post etc. but for some reason the site wont let me upvote or downvote posts anymore... any reason why?

How can i fix this?

Thanks!
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
7657 posts
12256 upvotes
Scarborough
KendrickStone wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:43 am
hi RFD,

I can reply to threads, and post etc. but for some reason the site wont let me upvote or downvote posts anymore... any reason why?

How can i fix this?

Thanks!
Were you giving a single member a lot of down votes or down voting very old posts? You were probably locked out of the voting system because of one of those two things.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1209 posts
539 upvotes
Richmond
I still disagree with the downvoting system, and I wish that RFD would banish it forever.

I've tried using it a few times to downvote posts that were extremely negative and with no value, just falling short of reporting for abuse. But those cases were so few that I don't think the mechanism has any value.

I view it like this:

- The main reason that people come to this online forum is the Hot Deals.
- People post Hot Deals out of altruism, because they want the good feeling that comes from informing the community about a great deal.
- While it may be useful to know that one deal is hotter than another, RFD already had positive mechanisms for upvoting a deal and marking it as Trending.
- Downvoting only makes people feel bad and discourages future posting. It has not a single useful or redeeming quality. For the most part it just encourages trolling and negativism.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
8633 posts
3086 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I find downvoting in HotDeals useful. If the deal is in the negative, often posters have replied a better price, the product is inferior, there is a stipulation to the deal that does not make it hot, it's a deal not everyone can get or his hard to get, the product is being sold by the OP and it's not a deal at all, etc, etc. I can make an immediate decision not to enter the thread.

It encourages people to be careful how they post and it allows users to whip through the first few pages faster. Trending is not always useful as my interest in a niche product may not be in the majority.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1209 posts
539 upvotes
Richmond
AncasterRFD wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 12:13 pm
I find downvoting in HotDeals useful.
I understand your argument in favour of downvoting. But you're considering it primarily from your point of view rather than the effect on the poster. If you end up discouraging posters, then you'll end up with a really efficient small pool of people still willing to post, which presumably is not what you were aiming for. People have feelings, and downvoting creates negative feelings.

Can't you just skip over the deals with no upvotes and few follow-ups if you're only interested in the hottest deals?

If someone has something useful to say about a deal, they should post it openly and not hide behind an anonymous downvote that conveys no useful information.

Example: the current Hot Deals thread about a BMO offering of a cheap bank account for new customers has a big negative score. What does that mean? I have an account at BMO, so of course I'm going to click on the thread to find out what it's about, regardless of the vote. Do I know or care if people are downvoting because the deal is bad, or people don't like BMO, or it's only for new customers? The vote doesn't convey that information. I need to read the posts to find out.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
2809 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 1:02 pm
...
Example: the current Hot Deals thread about a BMO offering of a cheap bank account for new customers has a big negative score. What does that mean? I have an account at BMO, so of course I'm going to click on the thread to find out what it's about, regardless of the vote. Do I know or care if people are downvoting because the deal is bad, or people don't like BMO, or it's only for new customers? The vote doesn't convey that information. I need to read the posts to find out.
Do you call Toronto Stock Exchange and ask why your pension goes down in value?

To address your needs, post your contribution and if you nailed the exact reason why it got downvoted so much, you'd get upvoted for those who had same findings. Much easier for others to judge i.e. whether to subscribe.

Many RFD users are lurkers and don't want to leave online footprint or get into arguments with others that will be saved on internet for eternity. The voting gave space for those people to sign up but want to remain silent.

To YP and RFD community, there's really just one question that matter: Did voting improve efficiency/productivity of mass collaboration, or no. In english, did more people save money or save faster than before?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top