• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2017 10:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
8760 posts
3162 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:07 pm
Ok, here's an alternative:

How about an "Opt out completely from down-votes" option for all RFD members? Not just hide or ignore down-votes in a few areas, but ignore them completely: don't want to see down-votes, don't want them counted in thread vote totals, don't want to know about them, don't want to give them. Make it like they don't exist.

Let's see what percentage of RFD members prefer that option.
So even if this was an irreversible decision, if you log out, you'll see the downvotes. Curiosity killed the cat ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1368 posts
614 upvotes
Richmond
AncasterRFD wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:20 pm
So even if this was an irreversible decision, if you log out, you'll see the downvotes. Curiosity killed the cat ;)
I'm not curious. I mean it when I say I find down-votes without value and I don't want to see them. :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
12426 posts
2709 upvotes
Fox wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 9:30 am
I agree with much of what you're saying.

I understand the reasons behind having downvotes, but there are a number of threads with an unexplainable number of downvotes for posts that are actually good deals. It seems as though there is a population that likes to downvote deals for whatever reason.
Bsically this.
I agree that some of the hot deals suck (15 minute amazon deals come to mind) but downvotes are not the answer. Especially anonymous ones :facepalm:
People can defend legitimized trolling all they want, sometimes even convincingly but the fact remains its legitimized trolling. :rolleyes:
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
8760 posts
3162 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Short time-limited deals are fine with me, I've gotten in on one or two over the years and it encourages people to visit the site more. Downvoting them because they're too fast is ignorant and a poor way of trolling. If a deal is dead, click the Report button. Once it's dead, it should be that you can't vote on it either way (maybe this is already in place, I don't know).

I still think it's a good idea if you downvote, you have to post why. And if you downvote and put the same reason as a poster above you, you look like an idiot because you can't read. People will then be a little more judicious with downvotes, the anonymity is gone. Unless you're an ass, you wouldn't downvote someone before posting a reply and giving them a chance to add information and/or clean up their post. If there are mini wars between members and flagrant downvoting in Hot Deals or other sub forums, RFD already suspends voting privileges and can hand out infractions.

A negative Hot Deal is useful. I'll still enter it if I'm interested in the item and often someone else has replied where to get it for less or when.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
12426 posts
2709 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 3:36 pm
Short time-limited deals are fine with me, I've gotten in on one or two over the years and it encourages people to visit the site more. Downvoting them because they're too fast is ignorant and a poor way of trolling. If a deal is dead, click the Report button. Once it's dead, it should be that you can't vote on it either way (maybe this is already in place, I don't know).
Your proving my point, downvoting is a bad idea yet its used for this purpose
I still think it's a good idea if you downvote, you have to post why. And if you downvote and put the same reason as a poster above you, you look like an idiot because you can't read. People will then be a little more judicious with downvotes, the anonymity is gone. Unless you're an ass, you wouldn't downvote someone before posting a reply and giving them a chance to add information and/or clean up their post. If there are mini wars between members and flagrant downvoting in Hot Deals or other sub forums, RFD already suspends voting privileges and can hand out infractions.
I agree with deanonymizing them at the very least. Your forced downvote reply plan will a lot of thread crapping however.
I would still eliminate down voting, but at the very least it should be deanonymized
A negative Hot Deal is useful. I'll still enter it if I'm interested in the item and often someone else has replied where to get it for less or when.
I agree to a point, but i still hate seeing deals that were posted a few mins ago and are gone, perhaps an ability to filter these out would help for those of us wanting to get to the meat and potatoes. How to do this i don't know if its even possible, does amazon somehow mention deals that are only a few mins or hours to use in a filter?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
14749 posts
1014 upvotes
Thornhill
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 9:48 pm
I did suggest, though, opening up the votes so that everyone can see them. Not sure if the admins are a fan of that idea though.
It does seem like the admins are hanging onto a system that NO ONE likes. Everyone here is curious/frustrated as to why.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
8760 posts
3162 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Quentin5 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 3:44 pm
Your proving my point, downvoting is a bad idea yet its used for this purpose


I agree with deanonymizing them at the very least. Your forced downvote reply plan will a lot of thread crapping however.
I would still eliminate down voting, but at the very least it should be deanonymized


I agree to a point, but i still hate seeing deals that were posted a few mins ago and are gone, perhaps an ability to filter these out would help for those of us wanting to get to the meat and potatoes. How to do this i don't know if its even possible, does amazon somehow mention deals that are only a few mins or hours to use in a filter?
Yes, your point is valid under the current system, I'm stating something different that I like seeing those deals. If you hate missing them or seeing them still in Hot Deals, as I said, either visit the site more or Report it to Expired. I report dead deals all the time. I don't mean to pick on your example, I understand the point you're trying to drive.

It takes more effort to click "Downvote" than to do so and type out a reply. The act of de-anonymizing itself means your downvote/reply is under public scrutiny. If you abuse it and constantly threadcrap, you can easily be called out and reported without a mod watching every thread, who will then hand out the appropriate penalty. Despite not everyone reading the Forum Rules, perhaps after de-anonymizing, there should also be a point to explain the etiquette of voting, and to link penalized members to it.
complete-forum-rules-tips-read-before-posting-2031308/
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
12426 posts
2709 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:10 pm
Yes, your point is valid under the current system, I'm stating something different that I like seeing those deals. If you hate missing them or seeing them still in Hot Deals, as I said, either visit the site more or Report it to Expired. I report dead deals all the time. I don't mean to pick on your example, I understand the point you're trying to drive.

It takes more effort to click "Downvote" than to do so and type out a reply. The act of de-anonymizing itself means your downvote/reply is under public scrutiny. If you abuse it and constantly threadcrap, you can easily be called out and reported without a mod watching every thread, who will then hand out the appropriate penalty. Despite not everyone reading the Forum Rules, perhaps after de-anonymizing, there should also be a point to explain the etiquette of voting, and to link penalized members to it.
complete-forum-rules-tips-read-before-posting-2031308/
If you want to downvote with mandatory explanation but have those explanations not posted in the thread but somewhere a click away to avoid repeat thread crapping then thats fine. I still think its not going to work the way you expect but at least it adds some accountability without making the rest of us reading repeat explanations.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3544 posts
763 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:03 pm
It does seem like the admins are hanging onto a system that NO ONE likes. Everyone here is curious/frustrated as to why.

bjl
The reason is very easy. Yellow Pages are in the business of selling ads to businesses. It has great interests to keep this feature because it is a tool that assists them in datamining the users. Everything being programmed about the site is a function of this. Even the new function of thread hiding also serves in tying to a database what the users don't want to see. It all helps in augmenting (or potentially one day augmenting) their ability to deliver more personally tailored (and thus more profitable) ads and to have data to sell that is more worthwhile. It's also why all deals are being tied (or strongly encouraged to be tied) to categories of products or retailers.

Think of it, users complain of minor obscure details that are corrected almost immediately, but for this one thing that nobody but miscreants like it's been almost a year that people have been left hanging. It's the only logical explanation.

That's the only interest they have in paying to maintain this place and the staff's salaries: to build up users and track/datamine the living shit out of them.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
12491 posts
2381 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
i, for one, can't wait to see who's smashing the downvote button on my posts
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2971 posts
333 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:47 pm
The reason is very easy. Yellow Pages are in the business of selling ads to businesses. It has great interests to keep this feature because it is a tool that assists them in datamining the users. Everything being programmed about the site is a function of this. Even the new function of thread hiding also serves in tying to a database what the users don't want to see. It all helps in augmenting (or potentially one day augmenting) their ability to deliver more personally tailored (and thus more profitable) ads and to have data to sell that is more worthwhile. It's also why all deals are being tied (or strongly encouraged to be tied) to categories of products or retailers.

Think of it, users complain of minor obscure details that are corrected almost immediately, but for this one thing that nobody but miscreants like it's been almost a year that people have been left hanging. It's the only logical explanation.

That's the only interest they have in paying to maintain this place and the staff's salaries: to build up users and track/datamine the living shit out of them.
interesting ... it makes sense ... so that would means the mods have no say about it ...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2971 posts
333 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:40 pm
i, for one, can't wait to see who's smashing the downvote button on my posts
LOL ... also bring the up/down to "off topic" ... entertainment and drama would reach a new levels ...
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
26064 posts
5211 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:24 pm
interesting ... it makes sense ... so that would means the mods have no say about it ...
the mods are just volunteers to help moderate the forums. site changes and features are handled by the Administrators. As mods we can offer our input, as can any other user via this forum, but they're the final arbiter as to whether an idea has merit or if it fits in their dev plan.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 5, 2016
1748 posts
67 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:40 pm
i, for one, can't wait to see who's smashing the downvote button on my posts
Happy Person Raising One Hand
lubmar wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:28 pm
LOL ... also bring the up/down to "off topic" ... entertainment and drama would reach a new levels ...
Off-topic had the voting system for like a day. It's not going to work out if the dude/dudette who's hiding can get away with thumbs down.
Last edited by Dumbbelldore on Mar 15th, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
12491 posts
2381 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:47 pm
Happy Person Raising One Hand
lol really? I'd have never guessed. Y u no liking my sheningan filled posts?

Edit - lol
Last edited by nasa25 on Mar 15th, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top