• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 8:51 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
175 upvotes

Upvotes and downvotes

So I can see when I can get an upvote or a thread gets an upvote, but why are downvotes hidden?

Any reason for this imbalance?
24 replies
RFD Alumnus
Mar 8, 2015
66 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think one of the reasons is it's much easier to breed hostility between specific users that way.
For inquiries, please message TomRFD.
Aug 20, 2009
6542 posts
1208 upvotes
Grimsby
Off the top of my head, it's unnecessary and would just cause vote wars or disruption from ongoing beefs between users. I'm sure there are other reasons as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28311 posts
3835 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
People would down vote if you didn’t agree with them.

I am glad the down vote is gone. When it was implemented, I stopped voting all together.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
175 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 6:52 pm
People would down vote if you didn’t agree with them.

I am glad the down vote is gone. When it was implemented, I stopped voting all together.
I don't care about the actual votes, but it's kind of weird that you can see who upvotes, but not who downvotes.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
175 upvotes
dsinn wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 12:32 pm
I think one of the reasons is it's much easier to breed hostility between specific users that way.
Fair enough but people use it that way anyway, I assume - might as well be transparent about it. (or not) I was just asking anyway out of curiosity.
Aug 20, 2009
6542 posts
1208 upvotes
Grimsby
That would encourage more bad behavior with the voting function, not less. The information serves no real purpose to users anyway. If people suspect someone of punitively downvoting them or abusing the function then they can submit a report and the moderation staff or Tom can look into it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30301 posts
5292 upvotes
Ottawa
mountaintree wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 1:01 pm
I don't care about the actual votes, but it's kind of weird that you can see who upvotes, but not who downvotes.
That was the major complaint when the up vote/down vote was in place.
Doing away with the posting down vote was a good thing and the threads seem to have more discussions now than before.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3393 posts
2218 upvotes
Burnaby
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 8:32 am
That was the major complaint when the up vote/down vote was in place.
Doing away with the posting down vote was a good thing and the threads seem to have more discussions now than before.
Nah. Not all. I haven't noticed any change on posting activity. If there was a change due to eliminating downvoting of posts, I'd bet on moderators having more work.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10706 posts
1073 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
aviador wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 10:13 am
Nah. Not all. I haven't noticed any change on posting activity. If there was a change due to eliminating downvoting of posts, I'd bet on moderators having more work.
Correct. There is no difference in posting numbers. Just a few loud members who got butt hurt over down votes. Then again, I can see how up/down votes can get out of hand like Reddit. Now that's pathetic. You have millions of tweeners employing "group/gang voting" to oust someone and get their posting privileges locked becuz they dont like a specific member. AFAIK, the RFD version had zero effect. Whether you received a million upvotes or down votes it didnt affect any posting ability. Only the Admin/mods do from infraction points...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8920 posts
1493 upvotes
兩最大
Just a minor pet peeve, my recent threads have been useful but some ppl w agendas keep down voting them anonymously, so w/o repercussions. At least make visible who's doing that.

Just an annoying feature, do away w negativity and down vote, and have the detractor explain why vs just a cowardly anon down vote, which serves no purpose imo. You guys did away w that for posts, time to make it universal and do away w them for threads.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3943 posts
4042 upvotes
There is always bad apple on the tree even the tree is healthy. Just take it easy. There are lots of reason from the down vote. Some may just randomly down vote because of not being happy about the work today and it is totally not related to your posted topic. You cannot do anything even you know who is down voting. However, if a member hits certain threshold (like many down votes in a minutes, 500 downvotes for this month, etc ...), they should be included in the alarm list. Once they are in the alarm list and if they are the top 10 down voter, we can see them at the end of each month or each week. If any of them are in the top 10 for some period of time, they should be marked as top down voters (shows up besides the userid). This is my suggestion and it should prevent people from doing down vote regularly without any reason. Besides, a down vote with follow up explanation in the post should consider valid down vote.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 4:18 pm
Just a minor pet peeve, my recent threads have been useful but some ppl w agendas keep down voting them anonymously, so w/o repercussions. At least make visible who's doing that.

Just an annoying feature, do away w negativity and down vote, and have the detractor explain why vs just a cowardly anon down vote, which serves no purpose imo. You guys did away w that for posts, time to make it universal and do away w them for threads.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9497 posts
14261 upvotes
Scarborough
lcmt wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:01 pm
However, if a member hits certain threshold (like many down votes in a minutes, 500 downvotes for this month, etc ...), they should be included in the alarm list.
While there is no "alarm list" I do get alerts when people are abusing the system and those that do have their voting rights removed. It's not a perfect system though so if you feel you're being targeted by another user you can always shoot me a message and I'll look into it for you.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3943 posts
4042 upvotes
It is good that there is a way to monitor those people abusing the system. I understand the system is not perfect and human is not perfect either. Even normal people will have time with bad mood, if their down vote can make them relief, I will forgive them as it may remove problems in the real world. However, for some people who are doing this frequently especially they are targeting to certain people, it is unacceptable. Theoretically, I don't believe a member every time posting a thread always down vote by the same person unless that member always posts irrelevant or useless information.

By the way, while it is good idea to remove the down vote ability for the reply, I think some thread (e.g. code subscription thread) should still need the down vote feature. It is better to have a special tag either assigned by the administrator or the moderator, so a selected thread can have the down vote feature enabled for the reply

swagbucks-subscription-thread-do-not-thank-891211/137/
irazoo-treasure-codes-902945/
TomRFD wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:01 pm
While there is no "alarm list" I do get alerts when people are abusing the system and those that do have their voting rights removed. It's not a perfect system though so if you feel you're being targeted by another user you can always shoot me a message and I'll look into it for you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8920 posts
1493 upvotes
兩最大
Well, I still think it's useless to up/downvote threads as the thread summaries only show "+2" even though when you go into the thread itself it's really +2 and -99, for example, so it's pointless. Just do away w/ it.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Jun 14th, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.