• Apr 12th, 2010 5:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I think John is big enough to speak for himself rather than have someone try and defend him or are you guys involved? :cheesygri

btw when you "butt in" you're making yourself and example of my signature ;)

Dam forgot to hold to the discussion...okay it may seem harmless enough but in these times with those terrorist (as an example of extreme) running around how would you like it if they were going down your sewers unattended? You should be aware of the things going on in your backyard especially when it's out of the ordinary.

Going down a sewer is not a tourist attraction, there is no Disneyland down there and the only people who should be down there have to be "authorized". That's the key word to who should be there, they have to authorized and if they're not they there without permission (trespassing) and if you read up on the Trespassing to Property Act you'll learn something other than trying to start something. ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5392 posts
107 upvotes
Somehow I don't think the "speeding ticket" analogy fits, because you are endangering others who are on the road as well... I'd say this is more like "skiing out of bounds" - Yes, you're only endangering yourself, but the city is still obligated to send emergency crew to look for your sorry ass when you get into stupid ****. I mean, we'd all feel sorry for the skier who got lost on the mountain, but once you heard he was skiing out of bounds, our sympathy level would just start dropping.

"Getting a permission" also involves notifying officials on your whereabouts. So, if you do get into trouble, say, broke your leg or something, they'd know where to start looking.

I'm not saying these guys should stop, but just be responsible for your own actions.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3683 upvotes
GTA
sylpherware wrote: Somehow I don't think the "speeding ticket" analogy fits, because you are endangering others who are on the road as well... I'd say this is more like "skiing out of bounds" - Yes, you're only endangering yourself, but the city is still obligated to send emergency crew to look for your sorry ass when you get into stupid ****. I mean, we'd all feel sorry for the skier who got lost on the mountain, but once you heard he was skiing out of bounds, our sympathy level would just start dropping.

"Getting a permission" also involves notifying officials on your whereabouts. So, if you do get into trouble, say, broke your leg or something, they'd know where to start looking.

I'm not saying these guys should stop, but just be responsible for your own actions.
Very fair comment :razz:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
And, it is all disguised as "public safety" .

Plus, they are probably all just pissed at being woken up at 3.00am :)
Wow you're not paranoid at all. Again, its liability, were anything to happen to these guys while they were in the sewers, the city is liable and they can be sued. It costs tax payer dollars to call in the cops and haz-mat crew to go searching for these guys in the sewers. There's a responsible way of doing it and there's an irresponsible way of doing it. This is not about the police being "militarized" or any other nonsensical BS, its not like they called in the ETR.
Jon Lai wrote: I just said it's not trespassing.. mischief, fine, but it's definitely not trespassing, since it's public property. You can't trespass a school, you could, however, be charged for things like mischief or loitering. And for the same reason they weren't laid any charges for "trespassing".
Oh yes you can.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: Again, its liability, were anything to happen to these guys while they were in the sewers, the city is liable and they can be sued.
"Liability" is just an excuse for taking control and, more particularly, for preventing people from doing anything that is out of the ordinary. It is the favourite nanny-state excuse and I see you've bought into that whole concept :)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: "Liability" is just an excuse for taking control and, more particularly, for preventing people from doing anything that is out of the ordinary. It is the favourite nanny-state excuse and I see you've bought into that whole concept :)
So you would have no problems if these guys sued the city and your tax dollars was used to pay the settlement?
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: So you would have no problems if these guys sued the city and your tax dollars was used to pay the settlement?
The legal arguments would be very interesting - if the case even got to Court.

In reality, the fiscal mismanagement of the City is so bad, that a case like this would not even be noticed. If the City takes reasonable measures to protect itself and it's people, that's fine with me. If people decide to do something risky, the risk should be on them.

My bet is that the cost of police, firefighters, haz-mat, etc. brought out to chase them down has already cost us a pretty penny.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5392 posts
107 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: "Liability" is just an excuse for taking control and, more particularly, for preventing people from doing anything that is out of the ordinary. It is the favourite nanny-state excuse and I see you've bought into that whole concept :)
Well, what would be your (and everybody here's) reaction to a headline that reads "Photographers Lost in City Sewers; Whereabouts Unknown"?

a. "OMG! Let's form a rescue team and go find those poor guys!"
b. "Someone call 9-1-1! Why didn't the city do anything to prevent **** like this?!"
c. "Meh, let them rot. We got enough photographers to go around."
d. "Hmm, I wonder if I can still salvage their equipment..."
e. "Where are the comics?"

Call me naive, but I still believe that most city cops would rather stop these guys at 3A.M. than to call their family the next day to tell them their loved ones died doing something preventable.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
C (yessss, less competition in a oversaturated market.) :lol:
E (Gotta get my comics fix!) :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)