Shopping Discussion

Urban Outfitters Duty -- Anyone have experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg

Urban Outfitters Duty -- Anyone have experiences?

I'm looking to buy an item from Urban Outfitters that is 43 bucks and 53 all in with the 10 dollar economy shipping, does anyone have experience with duty from them as it says extra charges may apply. What company do they ship with? If duty is morebthan 10-15 bucks it is cheaper to buy locally. Thx :)
😉
39 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
bump

want some input before I order
😉
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
bman77 wrote:
May 6th, 2012 11:06 pm
bump

want some input before I order

What did the fine people at Urban Outfitters say when you phoned them?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
I checked on their site and for the option it said charges may apply and didn't specify a company, I guess I'll call them and see what company they say, I hope it is usps.

Edit: It ships by usps which is good, I have never been hit with duty be them on a sub 50 dollar order before. Will go ahead and order later.
😉
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45400 posts
3787 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote:
May 7th, 2012 11:51 am
I checked on their site and for the option it said charges may apply and didn't specify a company, I guess I'll call them and see what company they say, I hope it is usps.

Edit: It ships by usps which is good, I have never been hit with duty be them on a sub 50 dollar order before. Will go ahead and order later.

Yup USPS rarely charges customs/duties fees. I recently had a order come In two weeks ago valued at $147 and didn't get It. Also every other order I've placed via USPS didn't get hit there also but It was low value.
+1 for USPS although shipping times might be rough but whatever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jimboski wrote:
May 7th, 2012 4:59 pm
Yup USPS rarely charges customs/duties fees. I recently had a order come In two weeks ago valued at $147 and didn't get It. Also every other order I've placed via USPS didn't get hit there also but It was low value.
+1 for USPS although shipping times might be rough but whatever.

haha, was that 147 order tye ath-m50s? If so ur lucky from what I've read. Anyways I ordered yesterday afternoon, waiting on them to ship now :)
😉
Jun 6, 2009
511 posts
69 upvotes
Expect to be charged at least $10 in duties & taxes, and an additional $8.50 in handling fee (USPS/Canada Post). If not, consider yourself as lucky as that guy ^^^ getting off scot-free with $147 worth of goods. His package must've been books and/or have been undervalued significantly.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45400 posts
3787 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 6:37 pm
haha, was that 147 order tye ath-m50s? If so ur lucky from what I've read. Anyways I ordered yesterday afternoon, waiting on them to ship now :)
Nope, A pair of denim. Although they were originally made In Canada but regardless I should have gotten hit by Canadian taxes.
KDSet wrote:
May 8th, 2012 7:11 pm
Expect to be charged at least $10 in duties & taxes, and an additional $8.50 in handling fee (USPS/Canada Post). If not, consider yourself as lucky as that guy ^^^ getting off scot-free with $147 worth of goods. His package must've been books and/or have been undervalued significantly.
Nope a pair of denim, They weren't marked as GIFT or undermarked at all. Marked at $147 value, Didn't get hit.
Jun 6, 2009
511 posts
69 upvotes
Which retailer did you buy them from? Do you know if, based on your invoice, the retailer collected any sales tax on behalf of the CRA? Is there sort of a red stamp, usually near a bar code, indicating that it's been released free of duties/taxes ("Cleared customs..")?

The sales taxes on your item alone are 'worthwhile' to collect, so it's awfully weird (and lucky!) you didn't get charged. :razz:
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45400 posts
3787 upvotes
Toronto
KDSet wrote:
May 8th, 2012 8:31 pm
Which retailer did you buy them from? Do you know if, based on your invoice, the retailer collected any sales tax on behalf of the CRA? Is there sort of a red stamp, usually near a bar code, indicating that it's been released free of duties/taxes ("Cleared customs..")?

The sales taxes on your item alone are 'worthwhile' to collect, so it's awfully weird (and lucky!) you didn't get charged. :razz:

Revolve Clothing from California, I don't think so. Customer service said If you get dinged by customs/duties then feel free to reject the package so It'll be sent back to them.
When I received my package there weren't any colored stamps. It's probably hit or miss with USPS but It's probably more on the side that people won't get dinged because I don't think many have been hit via USPS.

Was marked as "Pants" "$147"
Jun 6, 2009
511 posts
69 upvotes
The only possible explanation I can think of is a triaging error considering the volumes processed by customs.

:!:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've never been hit by usps on an order under 100, I guess I'm just lucky normally, maybe it will catch up to me sometime.
😉
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1185 posts
79 upvotes
Beamsville
Assuming it's clothing isn't the duty on that 16%?