Shopping Discussion

Urban Outfitters Duty -- Anyone have experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45334 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:13 pm
I've never been hit by usps on an order under 100, I guess I'm just lucky normally, maybe it will catch up to me sometime.

Many people have placed orders about over $100 but under $200 via USPS, MOST didn't get hit. I don't think It's luck but based on the customs officer If he/she Isn't lazy to process the fees which kind of equates to luck In a way haha..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jimboski wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:28 pm
Many people have placed orders about over $100 but under $200 via USPS, MOST didn't get hit. I don't think It's luck but based on the customs officer If he/she Isn't lazy to process the fees which kind of equates to luck In a way haha..

I agree, why would they even bother with a 43 dollar order anyways... I hope
😉
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45334 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:30 pm

At most you would get hit by 13% + maybe a $5 or $8 handling fee. That's $14 max, Is It really worth It to delay the other packages going through by having to fill out a form for your specific package?
USPS Is on the good side for customs/duties, FedEx/UPS I heard Is pretty rough.
Jun 6, 2009
510 posts
69 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
May 8th, 2012 9:49 pm
My best Is that they don't even want to bother processing anything under $200?
bman77 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:13 pm
I've never been hit by usps on an order under 100, I guess I'm just lucky normally, maybe it will catch up to me sometime.
Anything above $100 is almost always going to get charged; below that depends on their discretion or courtesy you might say (i.e. charging for $3 plus the handling fee).

Note that anything above $20 is legally free game..
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45334 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
KDSet wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:40 pm
Anything above $100 is almost always going to get charged; below that depends on their discretion or courtesy you might say (i.e. charging for $3 plus the handling fee).

Note that anything above $20 is legally free game..

Yeah anything over $20 can be charged customs/duties although It's totally up to the officer If they want to do the paper work.. Which Is a lot of work I think right?
It also varies based on courier I would think.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jimboski wrote:
May 8th, 2012 11:15 pm
Yeah anything over $20 can be charged customs/duties although It's totally up to the officer If they want to do the paper work.. Which Is a lot of work I think right?
It also varies based on courier I would think.
With couriers they probably say "charge me" almost because they make lots of money off brokerage fees, with usps it probably goes with all the mail and wouldn't be efficient to process every small item. Who knows
😉
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45334 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote:
May 9th, 2012 12:14 am
With couriers they probably say "charge me" almost because they make lots of money off brokerage fees, with usps it probably goes with all the mail and wouldn't be efficient to process every small item. Who knows

The CBSA Is confusing as long as you don't get hit It's all good.. That was the case for me, No charges no nothing then I'm happy!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1133 upvotes
Montreal
bman77 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:30 pm
Maybe USPS won't, but FedEx certainly will.
Jimboski wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:32 pm
At most you would get hit by 13% + maybe a $5 or $8 handling fee. That's $14 max, Is It really worth It to delay the other packages going through by having to fill out a form for your specific package?
USPS Is on the good side for customs/duties, FedEx/UPS I heard Is pretty rough.

I had one package few months ago $39.99 via FedEX, they sent me an invoice a whole month later for $18.xx
I wrote them back it was a prize -> gift I'll interpret it. A week later, an agent called & told me gift -> people to people not company to people. I told me him the "gift" was still unopen that he could send someone to pick it up & return to sender. He was surprised & asked why I don't want my parcel. I told him it was a "gift" I don't need anyway.

He paused & told me he would wrote it off.

A month later I got another package from FedEX marked $59.99 value. Same thing, they send me an invoice 4 weeks later for $22.xx. I do want to keep this one & paid them.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45334 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
emmafb wrote:
May 9th, 2012 3:01 am
Maybe USPS won't, but FedEx certainly will.

I had one package few months ago $39.99 via FedEX, they sent me an invoice a whole month later for $18.xx
I wrote them back it was a prize -> gift I'll interpret it. A week later, an agent called & told me gift -> people to people not company to people. I told me him the "gift" was still unopen that he could send someone to pick it up & return to sender. He was surprised & asked why I don't want my parcel. I told him it was a "gift" I don't need anyway.

He paused & told me he would wrote it off.

A month later I got another package from FedEX marked $59.99 value. Same thing, they send me an invoice 4 weeks later for $22.xx. I do want to keep this one & paid them.

Yeah I've heard that FedEx Is notorious for billing months AFTER receiving the package.
Billed $18 for a $40 item Is rough..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
My order shipped today with usps priority, is that a bad sign over first class?
😉
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45334 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote:
May 9th, 2012 5:13 pm
Ya, I know that, it's just first class is regular mail so priority may be inspected differently. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

It actually might make a difference.. Who knows though.
I think my package was shipped USPS Air Mail which Is First Class I think..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2144 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg
update -- No duties! :D
😉
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7861 posts
2980 upvotes