Shopping Discussion

Urban Outfitters Duty -- Anyone have experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2009
1005 posts
290 upvotes
Kitchener
emmafb wrote:
May 9th, 2012 3:01 am
Maybe USPS won't, but FedEx certainly will.

I had one package few months ago $39.99 via FedEX, they sent me an invoice a whole month later for $18.xx
I wrote them back it was a prize -> gift I'll interpret it. A week later, an agent called & told me gift -> people to people not company to people. I told me him the "gift" was still unopen that he could send someone to pick it up & return to sender. He was surprised & asked why I don't want my parcel. I told him it was a "gift" I don't need anyway.

He paused & told me he would wrote it off.

A month later I got another package from FedEX marked $59.99 value. Same thing, they send me an invoice 4 weeks later for $22.xx. I do want to keep this one & paid them.
I bought something for $37 + $19.99 shipping (FEDEX), and the company wrote the value as $50(wtf). Fedex leaves a slip saying I have to pay $52.22 for customs/duties. I call Fedex to ask what's up, and they said that they don't have control over what I get charged for customs/duties.

I wanted to order something from UO but I'm worried about the duties.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7865 posts
2980 upvotes
I've purchased a few things from UO (under $100). I have never paid duties. In fact I think I don't even think they charged me too little (no tax) one time. It's still a risk ordering through them, though. It's sad that there are locations in Canada, yet you have to pay duties if you buy online. The Canadian experience. LOL
Banned
Nov 4, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Anyone know where I can get camping equipment? I need a rechargeable lamp, but all I find are battery ones.
Feb 14, 2015
32 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I once bought a Nike swimsuit from them and it's all good.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12399 posts
1868 upvotes
City of Vancouver
If you don't want to pay duty, buy Made in Canada or Made in the USA.

I'm surprised JayLove06 hasn't paid duty from Urban Outfitters before, since UO is related to Anthropologie. I hear a lot about Canadians getting hit by duty from Anthropologie online orders.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7865 posts
2980 upvotes
Becks wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 1:54 pm
If you don't want to pay duty, buy Made in Canada or Made in the USA.

I'm surprised JayLove06 hasn't paid duty from Urban Outfitters before, since UO is related to Anthropologie. I hear a lot about Canadians getting hit by duty from Anthropologie online orders.
Nope. I was worried about it too. It's just strange to me that a store has a number of locations in Canada yet still makes their customers pay duty when purchasing online. That is sheer madness to me.
Nov 7, 2014
11 posts
Milner, BC
Just get it shipped through USPS (standard), pretty unlikely you get hit with duties assuming your purchase is less than $100
Jul 6, 2008
885 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
are you close to an actual store? i always just spend more then $50 to get free shipping and return everything else
Banned
Nov 4, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
ericlewis91 wrote:
May 4th, 2015 12:54 pm
are you close to an actual store? i always just spend more then $50 to get free shipping and return everything else
This is a wicked idea. :) I always get hit with shipping when ordering from finish line or clinique. I didn't think about making a purchase then a return. I will give this a try next time I make an online purchase. I don't even need to have the store close to me because most of these store send a return label when they ship your order anyway.
Banned
Nov 4, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I am still having a hard time finding a rechargeable lamp. Even ebay, has very few to choose from. :o