[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton

URGENT! BBQ Pros, Weber vs. Napoleon?

Hi all..

I'm down to my very last couple days of doing research now, and basically it would appear that Napoleons and Weber's are the top-of-the-line products. I just need to know which one to go with, and why? I must say, I absolutely LOVE Napoleon's WAVE-Grill, as well as the Infra-Red roteserrie rear grill, however that costs about $1399 for THIS: Napoleon PT450RB

However, it comes with no side burner (a silly feature that my Mom actually really wants though. I told her just go inside and use a stove burner!)

Although for only $999 I've also been looking at this: Weber Genesis Gold C

The Napoleon has 42,000 BTU's and the Weber only appears to have 36,000

The Napoleon is 654 sq. inches though, whereas the Weber is only 611.

HELP!@#$ I'm ripping my hair out.. And is there any better place to buy Napoleon grills than Goeman's? (www.goemans.com) I get the feeling they gouge you on the prices.. I price checked a couple of their Weber grills against Home Depot's prices and they are usually at least ALWAYS $100 more..

Thanks
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
my gf's family really loves their genesis silver

they only spent like 900 ish on it at a sale half a year ago

do you do rotisaries that much?
kenmore has some nice grills too that are worth looking into

my dad has this kenmore natural gas model, huge grill with infrared rear burner too
but i never found it useful

i think it was this model

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... lls%2C+Gas

Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2274 posts
170 upvotes
i'm partial to Weber after using their grills for 10 years
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
4 upvotes
I used to sell em .. don't judge a BBQ on its BTU, that is like judging a car on HP, doesn't mean it is any better or faster. In addition, Weber doesn't need a roteserrie as the convection cooking method works amazing. I would recommend the Weber. As a side note, I bet a majority of the people who buy the side burner use it less than 5 times during the life of the BBQ :D
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14318 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Lando wrote:I used to sell em .. don't judge a BBQ on its BTU, that is like judging a car on HP, doesn't mean it is any better or faster. In addition, Weber doesn't need a roteserrie as the convection cooking method works amazing. I would recommend the Weber. As a side note, I bet a majority of the people who buy the side burner use it less than 5 times during the life of the BBQ :D
Actually, I think they use it more than the rotisserie.

My neighbour Napoleon, its so hot he has to leave the lid open to cook ribs - on the warming grate!

I prefer my Vermont Castings.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
May 6, 2003
1043 posts
1 upvote
The Webers are independent retailers are not quite the same as the ones at Home Depot. I bought a Weber from Sobe's that was $100 more than the equivalent at Home Depot, but mine came with stainless steel grills, while the Home Depot version had porcelain.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
Wow, I'm really surprised to see so few Napoleon fans here..

The Weber is 400 bucks cheaper though, so I am leaning towards that..

You don't think I should buy it from HOME DEPOT though?
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
4 upvotes
Exactly what he mentioned above, they are giving specialty retailers better components in an effort to compete with Home Depot. I worked for a Weber specialty dealer about 3 blocks from Home Depot and it serious hurt our sales after they opened up. The dealers made quite a stink about Home Depot carrying Weber so they gave them some advantage with SS grates.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2003
1043 posts
1 upvote
duckdown wrote:You don't think I should buy it from HOME DEPOT though?
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the models at home depot, just that they are not exactly the same, so side by side price comparisons are not necessarily fair. I like the stainless steel grill as it is easier to maintain and will likely last longer (less resistance to rust), so I didn't mind paying $100 more to buy it at an independent retailer. Plus, I like giving business to retailers who I know will stand behind what they sell and give you a little more knowledge and service than the teenagers working in the Home Depot garden department.

If you are already prepared to spend $700+ on a BBQ, you might as well buy the one that is going to last you a long time, and stainless steel components will last you longer than porcelain coated that tend to scratch and expose the metal underneath to the elements and rust.
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
4 upvotes
Jono is the case for why the BBQ specialty retailer exists. The customer that wants the extra service and better parts. You need warranty work, bring in your burner or wheel or handle etc. with your receipt and over the counter exchange, away you go. It all depends on what you want, if you like to support the big box MNC or a local company.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
ive heard about those ceramique burner grills, they seem to be very efficient and requires cooking with the lid open too

btw yeah, weber convection is great
its almost like using an oven
and using a rotisarie burner isnt all that necessary that is why webers genesis dont have it

man i want my own genesis now after having so much good food at my gf's house
hehehehe
lets see, her parents have done roast beef, chicken (whole), turkey (whole), all kinds of seafood, vege, skewers...

boy good thing about convection is you can cook something big
like a whole turkey
i liked it better than it was cooked in an convection oven for some reason
the indirect flame just made it better :D
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1708 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
go for the weber, because it's less money. :cheesygri

how often are you going to use this thing anyway? do you need all that space?
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
4 upvotes
I don't know about you guys, but in my opinion a BBQ should never be purposely used to cook with the lid open. And yes the convection method is great for something like a chicken or turkey, screw the rotiserrie.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1308 posts
23 upvotes
Maple
Our family has just bought a Napoleon and we love it. It cooks our rare (blue rare to medium rare) steaks to perfection. I dont have any experience with Weber so I cannot offer an opinion as to which is better. However, I do know that some parts on the Weber are made in China. I believe all Napoleon parts are made in Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4921 posts
850 upvotes
I have a Napoleon and IMHO there is no better BBQ for the money!

They are Canadian made (company is in Barrie On), their customer service is great and there is a 25 yr warranty (or at least mine came with one) on the burners.
× < >