• Jul 14th, 2007 2:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 19, 2005
471 posts
3 upvotes

URGENT: how to recover an UNSAVED excel file

Ok, i just made the stupidest mistake....
i just closed an excel file and clicked on "no" when it asked me whether i wanted to save it... i tried to find the autorecover file, but, apparently...

When AutoRecover files are deleted:
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1907 posts
224 upvotes
I think when you clicked No at the prompt, I think it may be gone forever.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3541 posts
2 upvotes
so over these 2 days you didn't save it a single time? that's just dumb...if you haven't saved it yet and don't have that auto save set, and closed it without saving i think it's gone forever
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
352 upvotes
if you spent 2 days working on it, surely you made some saves along the way...?

i think if you press 'no' to save then it's gone.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11917 posts
218 upvotes
You worked for 2 days on a file without saving it once? Ever? I know you're in pain right now, but you have to admit, that seems a little ridiculous. Which version of Excel is it?

Under Excel XP (2002) or later, you should be OK...earlier versions may work as well, but I just tested this on my notebook with Excel 2002 and it worked just fine....I created a file, added some stuff, waited until it created the autorecover file, then closed Excel and chose no to the Save dialog. My autorecover file was still there. Go to Tools/Options/Save tab, and check the location of the autorecover file. I think the default autosave interval is 10 minutes.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2005
471 posts
3 upvotes
TapemanPL wrote:
Jul 14th, 2007 1:34 pm
so over these 2 days you didn't save it a single time? that's just dumb...
yeah... i know it was dumb... i used to have the habit of hitting ctrl-s every 5 seconds... but this is a huge file, and everytime i save, it takes 1 min... so i had to stop hitting ctrl-s... but anyways... just plain STUPID...

TapemanPL wrote:
Jul 14th, 2007 1:34 pm
if you haven't saved it yet and don't have that auto save set, and closed it without saving i think it's gone forever
speaking of which, i know the old "auto save" function has been converted to "auto recover" in office 2003, but how come it doesn't "auto save" anymore? but recover option is set on every 10 min, but apparently, it never saved??? :confused:
[OP]
Sep 19, 2005
471 posts
3 upvotes
deep wrote:
Jul 14th, 2007 1:37 pm
You worked for 2 days on a file without saving it once? Ever? I know you're in pain right now, but you have to admit, that seems a little ridiculous.
well.. i thought i did... at least every time i left my computer... but... apparently, my memory is failing me ... :cry:
deep wrote:
Which version of Excel is it?

deep wrote:
Go to Tools/Options/Save tab, and check the location of the autorecover file.

i checked, that folder is empty. i searched the computer for *.xls, *.xlsx, *.xar, and all came up empty...
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2006
2880 posts
Go to folder options and set show all files. Excel creates some temporary files till you commit the changes. PRobably those temp files are still in the folder
Nov 28, 2005
459 posts
1 upvote
If the autorecover files have been deleted, you may need an undelete tool. Unfortunately, I don't know of any off the top of my head right now that's free and easily accessible, but there are some out there.

By default, for me, Excel saves it's auorecover files to:

C:\Documents and Settings\BigBoy\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\

That's the place I'd scan for deleted files. Since the files may have been recently deleted, there's a reasonable chance you could recover them. (Alter the directory with your windows username, of course!) Good luck.
× < >