• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2013 12:34 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2007
112 posts
25 upvotes

US address - Across the border in Sumas or Blaine for BC people

I just found out a way to avoid paying huge shipping charges and duties for US online stores like Amazon.com or whatever =P Apparently, you can get a Free US address at two places near the Vancouver Seattle border. Basically, you can sign up for an address at either packageexpress.com (Sumas) or thelettercarrier.com (Blaine), don't need to give credit info. The Sumas one you can just walk across the border to get your package and avoid border lineups. Whenever a package arrives for you, there is a processing fee of $2-$4, and they will notify you to pick it up. And that's it!

I don't know where to post this, so I thought I'd post it here where there is the most traffic =P I'm also sure there are businesses like these for other borders! Hope this is useful info!
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
PackageExpress (Sumas) receiving fees are higher ($4) than most ($3 or lower) but it will hold stuff for up to 30 days. Interesting that you could walk but 90% of the time the lineups aren't worth the walking time (1.5km round trip) and with the number of package that I get stacked up ... hmmm

There are a few more places in Blaine as well. Here are two:

I've used Blaine Enterprises for about 10 years. 936 Peace Portal Drive, 360-332-6825. Family run out of their house (Colleen is Canadian). A bit ramshackled but I've never had a problem. $3 per package, two weeks holding time. You don't have to add anything (like a customer id) to your shipping address.

The only other one I've check out is ... Mail Boxes International, 1685 H Street Blaine near the Cost Cutter grocery store. 360-332-7678. Has a more business look/feel that Blaine and its just over the Truck Crossing (Pacific Highway Crossing). Their rates as the same as Blaine Enterprises except they also charge a $10 yearly fee. They will also email you when your package comes in. You COULD walk across the border but it looks like about 1.5km one way.

There are even more ... some found here: http://www.switchboard.com/swbd.main/di ... aine%2C+WA
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
1926 posts
144 upvotes
Actually Thelettercarrier is in Point Roberts which is south of Tsawwassen. I've heard some bad things about how unorganized that place is and how they lost some of the packages. (if you've been to their location, it looks like a plywood shack and they leave some of the bigger boxes OUTSIDE) :!:

There's another place in Point Roberts called http://www.tsbshipping.com/ which is supposed to be better. The only bad thing is they aren't open on the weekends like TheLetterCarrier and I think you have to visit them in person to setup an account.

The good thing about Point Roberts is that it's a totally different border crossing and the lineups are no where near as long as the other main border crossings with all the Canucks shopping in the US. There's not much in Point Roberts and many people cross the border to just use their mailbox services.
http://www.pointrobertsgolfcourse.com/i ... gerMap.jpg
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
Jun 18, 2005
745 posts
1 upvote
Abbotsford
if you are not buying electronics, there is no duty charged from aamzon.com, just the shipping. Most times, with shipping its worth not having to pick up in the states and have it delivered to me.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3569 posts
498 upvotes
Richmond
Chubbydeer wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 10:48 pm
I just found out a way to avoid paying huge shipping charges and duties for US online stores like Amazon.com or whatever =P Apparently, you can get a Free US address at two places near the Vancouver Seattle border. Basically, you can sign up for an address at either packageexpress.com (Sumas) or thelettercarrier.com (Blaine), don't need to give credit info. The Sumas one you can just walk across the border to get your package and avoid border lineups. Whenever a package arrives for you, there is a processing fee of $2-$4, and they will notify you to pick it up. And that's it!

I don't know where to post this, so I thought I'd post it here where there is the most traffic =P I'm also sure there are businesses like these for other borders! Hope this is useful info!
Man, where ya been? This topic has been discussed to death!

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... hp?t=20166
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=514393

I've used TSB Shipping in Point Roberts for years; good service. I stay way clear of The Letter Carrier because I don't like their practice of leaving packages outside (regardless of the weather).

*and btw, Vancouver (BC and WA, for that matter) and Seattle do not border each other. They're more than 200km apart. :razz:
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
29 upvotes
Chubbydeer wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 10:48 pm

So.. do you evade paying taxes when you walk back across, or in your experience have you been waved through?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2007
1434 posts
142 upvotes
I use to do all of my shipping at The Letter Carrier in Point Roberts but I switched to TSB Shipping because they have an online notification system. You sign up for it on their website and they'll email you everytime a package arrives under your name. Another good thing about TSB is that they actually answer their phones when you call. I called The Letter Carrier many times and not once did they answer my phone. Overall TSB is much more organized and looks much cleaner and the staff are friendly. The difference between both stores is night and day.
Banned
Mar 12, 2008
302 posts
2 upvotes
calgary
any more feedback on blaine enterprises. do they email you when the package comes in?
Dec 24, 2007
3 posts
Vancouver
I used to use Blaine enterprises all the time when I ordered stuff online. Everything from clothes, books, movies......they are pretty solid...saved me ALOT on duty when I ordered tires and sent them there.

I've now moved to Montreal and need to find a similar type of business either in Vermont (Quebec/VT border) or in upstate New York (Ontario/NY border)......

Anyone know of any?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2040 posts
288 upvotes
Kamloops
Another thing that is nice they will accept UPS or Fedex, then reship USPS for you
Oct 19, 2007
870 posts
123 upvotes
Kamloops wrote:
Sep 25th, 2008 12:13 pm
Another thing that is nice they will accept UPS or Fedex, then reship USPS for you

Who exactly are you referring to?

Since I am not by the border, I don't mind having stuff ship from US to whatever the place you're talking about and they have them reship USPS.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2040 posts
288 upvotes
Kamloops
Seks wrote:
Sep 25th, 2008 5:30 pm
Who exactly are you referring to?

Since I am not by the border, I don't mind having stuff ship from US to whatever the place you're talking about and they have them reship USPS.
http://www.packageexpress.com/ does but I think they all do.

Got some skiis sent there last year via ups then they sent them Postal service. I am a few hrs away so it better that way for me
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3415 posts
29 upvotes
Coquitlam
I want to have an item shipped to one of these places in Point Roberts or Blaine.

But I remember seeing that USPS doesn't deliver to these places unless I sign a release form. Does that rule still exist?

TSB used to have a note that USPS deliveries must be arranged and signed in person, but I don't see it on their website anymore.

and what happened to thelettercarrier? did it go out of business? domain is no longer registered.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4797 posts
414 upvotes
There's also Hagen's of Blaine on 816 Peace Portal Dr.

They're pretty good as well, about $3/Package, $2/Package if you don't want them to phone you when the package arrives.
Jan 31, 2004
52 posts
2 upvotes
Just want to ask, because I searched quite a bit of these places and none opens Sundays. Any one of them that opens Sunday? Going to drive down the Seattle on a Sunday and fly out from there. Gonna come back the same way ~5 days later late evening.. I doubt anything will open in the evening, but Sunday morning? Want to pick up a car roof rack and a few other things along the way.....
× < >