• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 6:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
CatDog wrote: Corster, could you explain, from my understanding there's 2 US accounts we're able to choose from, one's $4, and the others $30.

Which number do I call, and what account am I supposed to be changing it to?

Appreciate the help, god I hate bank fees.

You have to sign up for one of the two US accounts at an RBC branch in Canada. Once they are set up and running, you can call 1-800-236-8872 and ask them to switch you to free checking. The $4 account has a 3 month fee waiver if you don't have $700 deposited right away.
Aug 5, 2010
33 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been wanting to apply for a US-based credit card for the sole purpose of cross-border online shopping, but most online retailers require a US-based billing address. I can sometimes get around this problem with the use of paypal, but more often than not, Canadian paypal accounts are not accepted either.

After reading this thread, it seems straightforward enough to open up a US bank account, but could someone shed some light on how a credit card would work? Since many retailers won't accept a Canadian billing address, even though I'm able to ship the item to the US (through near-border pickup service), has anyone been able to work around this problem?
Aug 12, 2010
240 posts
54 upvotes
NCR - RCN
hyunff79 wrote: I've been wanting to apply for a US-based credit card for the sole purpose of cross-border online shopping, but most online retailers require a US-based billing address. I can sometimes get around this problem with the use of paypal, but more often than not, Canadian paypal accounts are not accepted either.

After reading this thread, it seems straightforward enough to open up a US bank account, but could someone shed some light on how a credit card would work? Since many retailers won't accept a Canadian billing address, even though I'm able to ship the item to the US (through near-border pickup service), has anyone been able to work around this problem?

Call up the card issuer and ask them to add a secondary address to the account. I have never been denied this. The last one i did was with my rbc usa accounts, and ALL of my transactions work when i enter the us address for verification. (online orders, gas pumps in the us, etc)
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
wrote:You have to sign up for one of the two US accounts at an RBC branch in Canada. Once they are set up and running, you can call 1-800-236-8872 and ask them to switch you to free checking. The $4 account has a 3 month fee waiver if you don't have $700 deposited right away.
Neat, thanks for the workaround. I'll wait until I get the activation code before I phone them, appreciate it.

Does anyone know how it works after you hook up the account? Does it hook up to a specific bank account on the CA side exclusively, or during the transaction process can you pick which account it goes to?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
CatDog wrote: Neat, thanks for the workaround. I'll wait until I get the activation code before I phone them, appreciate it.

Does anyone know how it works after you hook up the account? Does it hook up to a specific bank account on the CA side exclusively, or during the transaction process can you pick which account it goes to?

You can pick which account you want to transfer in to or out of. You just need to combine the US and Canadian web access with "one sign in". If you sign in to the Canadian online banking, click the banking tab, then profile and preferences, then link other accounts, then link RBC Bank (USA) accounts, the wizard will take you through step by step.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1898 posts
189 upvotes
zoicca wrote: Thanks for all the replies. You all rock! I will try RBC's US based account since I already bank with them. Failing that, I will give harris a try.

Let us know how your RBC account goes, I'd really like to know.

Thanks to people here saying that you can transfer easily online between canadian and us RBC. does this mean i can take advantage of the conversion rates, and convert whenever its to my advantage?
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
Questionz wrote: Let us know how your RBC account goes, I'd really like to know.

Thanks to people here saying that you can transfer easily online between canadian and us RBC. does this mean i can take advantage of the conversion rates, and convert whenever its to my advantage?

The exchange rates update every hour, but you can take advantage of rates without a USA account by using a Canadian USD account.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1898 posts
189 upvotes
guessaaa wrote: The exchange rates update every hour, but you can take advantage of rates without a USA account by using a Canadian USD account.

but don't they charge monthly fees? i notice a LOT of canadian banks always charge fees for a number of transactions (like more than 3 or 5 / month), or needs a minimum amount.

Which banks would you recomend for me to open a US acct?
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
^ You don't really have a choice, RBC is the best option if you want to have easy access to your funds, otherwise you're going to have to have a cheque mailed out, or pay a wire transfer fee.

I opened an account a couple weeks ago at RBC, just waiting to link it up to my Canadian acct before I call them to get them to switch it to the free version.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
Questionz wrote: but don't they charge monthly fees? i notice a LOT of canadian banks always charge fees for a number of transactions (like more than 3 or 5 / month), or needs a minimum amount.

Which banks would you recomend for me to open a US acct?

There are no monthly fees on the US side of RBC if you are in the right account. Unlimited withdrawals and deposits.

The Canadian side, as per usual, is not as good. How many withdrawals you can do from the Canadian account is limited by the package your are on and how much your branch manager likes you.
[external advertising link removed]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
wrote:You can pick which account you want to transfer in to or out of. You just need to combine the US and Canadian web access with "one sign in". If you sign in to the Canadian online banking, click the banking tab, then profile and preferences, then link other accounts, then link RBC Bank (USA) accounts, the wizard will take you through step by step.
I spoke with them over the phone and they said if i switch it to a free checkings account, I won't be able to transfer money back and forth. From your experience, after I activate/link the accounts, I can convert the account to a free checkings and it'll still be connected to the CA side?

When I asked the CS rep made it sound like they'd be closing the Access account and be opening a new one, that cannot be linked with RBC Canada.

Thanks for confirming, just don't want them to close the account, only for me to have to go through the process again.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
CatDog wrote: I spoke with them over the phone and they said if i switch it to a free checkings account, I won't be able to transfer money back and forth. From your experience, after I activate/link the accounts, I can convert the account to a free checkings and it'll still be connected to the CA side?

When I asked the CS rep made it sound like they'd be closing the Access account and be opening a new one, that cannot be linked with RBC Canada.

Thanks for confirming, just don't want them to close the account, only for me to have to go through the process again.
I did the conversion to the free account and the link between Canadian and US side still works exactly the same. In other words first I had the 700 minimum account, then linked to Canadian side, then converted to US free account.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
You are welcome.

Sometimes it seems like these RBC Canada people will say just about anything to get you to pay the bank more money. A lot of the employees seem to be spreading incorrect information about what is possible and what is not, what is free and what costs money.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
nauru wrote: You are welcome.

Sometimes it seems like these RBC Canada people will say just about anything to get you to pay the bank more money. A lot of the employees seem to be spreading incorrect information about what is possible and what is not, what is free and what costs money.

They're not spreading incorrect information, they only have access to the two accounts officially offered to Canadians in Canada. It's what the Toronto execs decided, rather than employees spreading incorrect information. The free checking account is not available nor supported in Canada, hence why it's not advertised in Canada, why you can't apply for it in Canada, and why you need the Americans to switch it for you once you're set up.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
The US Free Checking Account is not officially supported by RBC Canada... theoretically they could break the "one sign in" one day and you'd have no resource other than upgrading your account. Still, i don't see why you shouldn't do it.
Banned
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
54 upvotes
I need to revive this thread a bit.

I had a US account for 7 years. Last month there was a merger and a lot of my electronic deposits went missing because the local branch sent wrong routing numbers to Well Fargo or so I have been told. Basically my money is ending up in somebody's else account and this has been going on for 2 weeks. The branch is clueless. Anyway, I need to open a US account ASAP and was wondering about the following.

Do I need to open a Canadian RBC account to have a US chequing. Don't feel like paying monthly fees as I am with TD select service. I can keep a minimum 700 balance in US account, that in not a problem.

If I go with Harris, will I have the access to online banking. I know online banking is sometimes difficult to get because of tax issues/patriot act or whatever. I have the online access with a current bank, but they %$$$$ up majorly.

Thanks for any FAST replies :)
May 17, 2009
162 posts
18 upvotes
Thunder Bay
You won't be able to do online bill pay with Harris unless you have a US address and can prove residency. I have a US PO Box and I gave them that address, but it still wasn't good enough, I had to send in a gas or hydro bill with a US address on it which I didn't have so online bill pay was not an option for me. With RBC online bill pay is available.
Banned
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
54 upvotes
Actually, I just did an application with Harris online with only 100 deposit required, which is great. However, at the end of the application, there was a message that I will receive a confirmation via email..... but, I don't remember inputing my email address anywhere on the forms.
Sep 18, 2006
10 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
I applied for RBC US credit card over the phone two weeks ago. Last week I was told my application was approved. They accepted Canadian credit history. Thanks for all writing commands on this thread. Great!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

dealhunter12399