• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 3:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4196 posts
1238 upvotes
Bank of America also opens accounts for Canadians, and they didn't require a US address. My Canadian address worked fine for them. They also give you up to $50 signing bonus if you have been referred by an existing BoA customer. If you need a referrer PM me.

In response to the above post, I believe if you open an RBC USA account, you must also open a RBC Royal Bank Canadian account.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2010
66 posts
39 upvotes
I went into my local RBC branch and applied for a US account. RBC doesn't approve it. It goes to the US for approval and takes about a week. The account costs $3/month. It is a true US based account and not just a US dollar account in Canada, however I can transfer funds to my US dollar account here in Canada if I want to withdraw $ in Canada.

Thanks everyone once again for the info.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
207 upvotes
Canadia
zoicca wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 2:49 pm
I went into my local RBC branch and applied for a US account. RBC doesn't approve it. It goes to the US for approval and takes about a week. The account costs $3/month. It is a true US based account and not just a US dollar account in Canada, however I can transfer funds to my US dollar account here in Canada if I want to withdraw $ in Canada.

Thanks everyone once again for the info.

FYI there are two US based accounts you are able to choose from. One is $0 per month, and one is $3 month (waived if balance is higher than $700). RBC staff will try to deny the existence of the $0 per month account, but it is indeed available.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3266 posts
528 upvotes
nauru wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 5:00 pm
FYI there are two US based accounts you are able to choose from. One is $0 per month, and one is $3 month (waived if balance is higher than $700). RBC staff will try to deny the existence of the $0 per month account, but it is indeed available.

I think you need to go through RBC Bank USA to get the $0 account opened.

RBC Royal Bank will only open the $3/month account. The backdoor to this is to call RBC Bank USA and get them to change your $3/mo account to the full account once you have it all set up.
Penalty Box
May 16, 2006
3758 posts
259 upvotes
wrote:RBC Royal Bank will only open the $3/month account. The backdoor to this is to call RBC Bank USA and get them to change your $3/mo account to the full account once you have it all set up.
Corster, could you explain, from my understanding there's 2 US accounts we're able to choose from, one's $4, and the others $30.

Which number do I call, and what account am I supposed to be changing it to?

Appreciate the help, god I hate bank fees.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1828 posts
183 upvotes
CatDog wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 9:09 pm
Corster, could you explain, from my understanding there's 2 US accounts we're able to choose from, one's $4, and the others $30.

Which number do I call, and what account am I supposed to be changing it to?

Appreciate the help, god I hate bank fees.

You have to sign up for one of the two US accounts at an RBC branch in Canada. Once they are set up and running, you can call 1-800-236-8872 and ask them to switch you to free checking. The $4 account has a 3 month fee waiver if you don't have $700 deposited right away.
Aug 5, 2010
33 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been wanting to apply for a US-based credit card for the sole purpose of cross-border online shopping, but most online retailers require a US-based billing address. I can sometimes get around this problem with the use of paypal, but more often than not, Canadian paypal accounts are not accepted either.

After reading this thread, it seems straightforward enough to open up a US bank account, but could someone shed some light on how a credit card would work? Since many retailers won't accept a Canadian billing address, even though I'm able to ship the item to the US (through near-border pickup service), has anyone been able to work around this problem?
Aug 12, 2010
240 posts
54 upvotes
NCR - RCN
hyunff79 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2010 12:21 am
I've been wanting to apply for a US-based credit card for the sole purpose of cross-border online shopping, but most online retailers require a US-based billing address. I can sometimes get around this problem with the use of paypal, but more often than not, Canadian paypal accounts are not accepted either.

After reading this thread, it seems straightforward enough to open up a US bank account, but could someone shed some light on how a credit card would work? Since many retailers won't accept a Canadian billing address, even though I'm able to ship the item to the US (through near-border pickup service), has anyone been able to work around this problem?

Call up the card issuer and ask them to add a secondary address to the account. I have never been denied this. The last one i did was with my rbc usa accounts, and ALL of my transactions work when i enter the us address for verification. (online orders, gas pumps in the us, etc)
Penalty Box
May 16, 2006
3758 posts
259 upvotes
wrote:You have to sign up for one of the two US accounts at an RBC branch in Canada. Once they are set up and running, you can call 1-800-236-8872 and ask them to switch you to free checking. The $4 account has a 3 month fee waiver if you don't have $700 deposited right away.
Neat, thanks for the workaround. I'll wait until I get the activation code before I phone them, appreciate it.

Does anyone know how it works after you hook up the account? Does it hook up to a specific bank account on the CA side exclusively, or during the transaction process can you pick which account it goes to?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1828 posts
183 upvotes
CatDog wrote:
Sep 26th, 2010 12:47 am
Neat, thanks for the workaround. I'll wait until I get the activation code before I phone them, appreciate it.

Does anyone know how it works after you hook up the account? Does it hook up to a specific bank account on the CA side exclusively, or during the transaction process can you pick which account it goes to?

You can pick which account you want to transfer in to or out of. You just need to combine the US and Canadian web access with "one sign in". If you sign in to the Canadian online banking, click the banking tab, then profile and preferences, then link other accounts, then link RBC Bank (USA) accounts, the wizard will take you through step by step.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1694 posts
121 upvotes
zoicca wrote:
Sep 24th, 2010 2:22 am
Thanks for all the replies. You all rock! I will try RBC's US based account since I already bank with them. Failing that, I will give harris a try.

Let us know how your RBC account goes, I'd really like to know.

Thanks to people here saying that you can transfer easily online between canadian and us RBC. does this mean i can take advantage of the conversion rates, and convert whenever its to my advantage?
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1828 posts
183 upvotes
Questionz wrote:
Sep 26th, 2010 2:20 am
Let us know how your RBC account goes, I'd really like to know.

Thanks to people here saying that you can transfer easily online between canadian and us RBC. does this mean i can take advantage of the conversion rates, and convert whenever its to my advantage?

The exchange rates update every hour, but you can take advantage of rates without a USA account by using a Canadian USD account.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1694 posts
121 upvotes
guessaaa wrote:
Sep 26th, 2010 10:17 am
The exchange rates update every hour, but you can take advantage of rates without a USA account by using a Canadian USD account.

but don't they charge monthly fees? i notice a LOT of canadian banks always charge fees for a number of transactions (like more than 3 or 5 / month), or needs a minimum amount.

Which banks would you recomend for me to open a US acct?
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Penalty Box
May 16, 2006
3758 posts
259 upvotes
^ You don't really have a choice, RBC is the best option if you want to have easy access to your funds, otherwise you're going to have to have a cheque mailed out, or pay a wire transfer fee.

I opened an account a couple weeks ago at RBC, just waiting to link it up to my Canadian acct before I call them to get them to switch it to the free version.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
207 upvotes
Canadia
Questionz wrote:
Sep 26th, 2010 11:04 am
but don't they charge monthly fees? i notice a LOT of canadian banks always charge fees for a number of transactions (like more than 3 or 5 / month), or needs a minimum amount.

Which banks would you recomend for me to open a US acct?

There are no monthly fees on the US side of RBC if you are in the right account. Unlimited withdrawals and deposits.

The Canadian side, as per usual, is not as good. How many withdrawals you can do from the Canadian account is limited by the package your are on and how much your branch manager likes you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

arkane