Real Estate

US/Canada trade war - Impact to real estate?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 6:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: If anything, the price of real estate will shoot through the roof once the dollar tanks (again) as it has been proven not only in Canada, but UK too.
How is this proven in UK? According to this chart, prices have been stable in past two years, and the pound crashed in 2016:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kin ... sing-index

There is only one reason why the RE has gone up - the low interest rates and the trillions of $$$ printed by the central banks around the world.

Whether the rates will ever go up - one can only speculate ...
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4532 posts
4061 upvotes
abdulsong wrote: My friend, if you are a real estate speculator that is looking at central bank policy, interest rates, and currency exchange rates to be successful, I wish you lots of luck.
If you have been successful in the past, good for you, don't get too addicted, and don't make assumptions.

Houses are not like buying and selling stocks.
I am not a speculator. I am quite poor according to RFD standards. I see the prices around the world and a shack in a third world country will sell higher than Shangri La or Trump Tower in Toronto.

Canadians just don't know how good they have it. 1000 bucks per square foot in prime location is nothing.

At the beginning of the year I said the prices in DT core will reach $2000 per square foot by years end. I guess I will be wrong, but when the next wave of Asian speculators enters the market thanks to the ever tanking Canadian dollar, be prepared to experience another 20% overnight bump in prices just like it happened last year.

Why are real estate bears concentrating on Toronto and Vancouver and absolutely ignoring the rest of the world? You can't do this anymore. It's not the 50's
Last edited by BiegeToyota on Jun 12th, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 17, 2017
802 posts
590 upvotes
abdulsong wrote: My friend, if you are a real estate speculator that is looking at central bank policy, interest rates, and currency exchange rates to be successful, I wish you lots of luck.
If you have been successful in the past, good for you, don't get too addicted, and don't make assumptions.

Houses are not like buying and selling stocks.
How dare he look at macroeconomic factors while considering real estate investments. The nerve of some people.
Banned
Jun 9, 2018
37 posts
11 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: I am not a speculator. I am quite poor according to RFD standards. I see the prices around the world and a shack in a third world country will sell higher than Shangri La or Trump Tower in Toronto.

Canadians just don't know how good they have it. 1000 bucks per square foot in prime location is nothing.
Ok man, you sound pretty smart. I don't think you need any luck then.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4532 posts
4061 upvotes
elpresidente wrote: How dare he look at macroeconomic factors while considering real estate investments. The nerve of some people.
Because they don't matter. You are simply not aware how much wealth there is here in Asia. It's ridiculous. People live much, much better than Canadians without being constrained to 9 to 5 jobs which gives them even more opportunity to make money. Asia is a speculators haven. This will not end for another 100 years.

I bash bitcoin, for example, but Asians are to blame for the spectacular pump. They love gambling. It's in their blood. And while some pay dearly for it, there are millions of others who will replace them and push the prices of whatever "investment" higher.

No risk no reward and this does not only apply to investments.

A grandpa in Canada can choose to slowly die in retirement home watching TV because he is scared to do anything else, or can move to Asia, live on the beach and be surrounded my 20 year old women. But grandpa needs to be quick because of the enormous wealth in Asia this kind of lifestyle will not be possible for a Westerner in 10-20 years when Indian Rupee and Philippine Peso reach parity with Canadian dollar.

Good luck everyone
Last edited by BiegeToyota on Jun 12th, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 17, 2017
802 posts
590 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Because they don't matter. You are simply not aware how much wealth there is here in Asia. It's ridiculous. People live much, much better than Canadians without being constrained to 9 to 5 jobs which gives them even more opportunity to make money. Asia is a speculators haven. This will not end for another 100 years.

I bash bitcoin, for example, but Asians are to blame for the spectacular pump. They love gambling. It's in their blood. And while some pay dearly for it, there are millions of others who will replace them and push the prices of whatever "investment" higher.
Oh they do matter. I am well aware of the wealth around the world, including in Asia since I travel frequently for work.

But remember that we are in a global expansion and economies have all been doing well in the past decade or so. These factors will take on more importance if the big economies start to stumble.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Because they don't matter. You are simply not aware how much wealth there is here in Asia. It's ridiculous. People live much, much better than Canadians without being constrained to 9 to 5 jobs which gives them even more opportunity to make money. Asia is a speculators haven. This will not end for another 100 years.

No risk no reward and this does not only apply to investments.

A grandpa in Canada can choose to slowly die in retirement home watching TV because he is scared to do anything else, or can move to Asia, live on the beach and be surrounded my 20 year old women. But grandpa needs to be quick because of the enormous wealth in Asia this kind of lifestyle will not be possible for a Westerner in 10-20 years when Indian Rupee and Philippine Peso reach parity with Canadian dollar.

Good luck everyone
Philippine peso on par with CAD? I thought marijuana is yet to be legalized :D :P

It just shows how little you know about SEA women. While some of them are after the money of farangs (and yes, the 70 yrs old frat with 20 yr old sult is exactly this), the majority are simply looking for a caring man who would treat them with respect and won’t cheat on them. I know a lot of 40yr with 60/70 yr couples who are happy together for reasons other than $$$.
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4532 posts
4061 upvotes
djredhat wrote: Philippine peso on par with CAD? I thought marijuana is yet to be legalized :D :P

It just shows how little you know about SEA women. While some of them are after the money of farangs (and yes, the 70 yrs old frat with 20 yr old sult is exactly this), the majority are simply looking for a caring man who would treat them with respect and won’t cheat on them. I know a lot of 40yr with 60/70 yr couples who are happy together for reasons other than $$$.
By caring you mean the ones you will "take care"?

You need to ask these happy couples how much of a monthly allowance the Farang mug is giving to their wife, family and kids from previous relationships for the "happy" relationship to last. Usually when payments stop so does the relationship. 20-30 year difference is still a lot, even for a SE Asian woman....at least for the one that is financially independent.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: By caring you mean the ones you will "take care"?

You need to ask these happy couples how much of a monthly allowance the Farang mug is giving to their wife, family and kids from previous relationships for the "happy" relationship to last. Usually when payments stop so does the relationship. 20-30 year difference is still a lot, even for a SE Asian woman....at least for the one that is financially independent.
Again, there are gold diggers everywhere on planet Earth, but I strongly suggest next time you visit SEA to leave the Pattaya/Phuket boundaries; you’d be surprised ...

I know a lot of expats living with younger working women who don’t donate a single peso/baht to their gfs or their families. Most pay for roof and food (which they would have to do anyway). In fact I know a 70yr old Belgium guy who actually shares expences with his 45 yr gf, who runs a massage booth. He does save money for her without her being aware to secure her future when he will be gone, but that’s it.

It might be hard for most people to grasp, but there is way more than money in life. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship - the farang gets a a woman that does not act like a man (like most North American women do - with all these feminist movements, #metoo krap, they killed the little feminine that they still had in their basket), and the woman gets a decent man who cares for ther and won’t cheat left and right as most SEA man would.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4532 posts
4061 upvotes
djredhat wrote: Again, there are gold diggers everywhere on planet Earth, but I strongly suggest next time you visit SEA to leave the Pattaya/Phuket boundaries; you’d be surprised ...

I know a lot of expats living with younger working women who don’t donate a single peso/baht to their gfs or their families. Most pay for roof and food (which they would have to do anyway). In fact I know a 70yr old Belgium guy who actually shares expences with his 45 yr gf, who runs a massage booth. He does save money for her without her being aware to secure her future when he will be gone, but that’s it.

It might be hard for most people to grasp, but there is way more than money in life. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship - the farang gets a a woman that does not act like a man (like most North American women do - with all these feminist movements, #metoo krap, they killed the little feminine that they still had in their basket), and the woman gets a decent man who cares for ther and won’t cheat left and right as most SEA man would.
Well, my Thai wife works for Siemens (BTS project, I'm sure you know what it is) and I have been living in her house for the past 5 years in Bangkok (rent free), so I'm not sure where Pattaya/Phuket came from? Anyway, got news for you. As women here become more independent and make their own money their attitudes also change. They are not submissive as before. A Thai feminist can put a Western woman to shame. And what do you mean farang gets a woman that does not act like a man? Most women here are men :)
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2017
1366 posts
176 upvotes
Undisputed1900 wrote: This would be a nightmare scenario if the tariffs are imposed and the auto sector decides to shift production south, these jobs for the most part would never come back. Pretty scary the amount of families it could effect. Let’s hope these hot headed politicians tread carefully.
The silver lining to this is maybe it’s time for Canada to innovate their own vehicles for production
Big issue is that most of the production is made for the sole purpose of exporting into the US. If the tables were reversed and a company choose to setup up a huge manufacturing production just outside of our border employing people from another country only to sell us stuff then we'd be upset too.

Trump was elected in to bring jobs back to the US which have been disappearing outside their borders for a long time. Plus being the bigger importer, they are in an advantage as they have nothing to lose and Canada has nothing to gain by the US wanting to reduce the trade imbalances between the country. Just be glad we are not Mexico who will be clobbered hard by their new agreement. Our government needs to recognize this and be willing to discuss how we can narrow it to form a new agreement with minimal disruptions. Simply play ball and listen to their genuine concerns (and there are definitely genuine issues on both sides) and not simply just attack Trump/US publicly and play the victim card or we could end up with alot less.

I don't see how job losses won't occur with a new agreement given the primary goal for the US is to reduce the trade imbalance.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Well, my Thai wife works for Siemens (BTS project, I'm sure you know what it is) and I have been living in her house for the past 5 years in Bangkok (rent free), so I'm not sure where Pattaya/Phuket came from? Anyway, got news for you. As women here become more independent and make their own money their attitudes also change. They are not submissive as before. A Thai feminist can put a Western woman to shame. And what do you mean farang gets a woman that does not act like a man? Most women here are men :)
Sure, there are feminists everywhere, but the vast majority of SEA women are not. Whereas in North America we have arrived at a point where saying Hi to a woman is considered

There are 2 places in Thailand where I put foot only if I my flights take me there (in and out, right away) a BKK and HKT, and one spot where I won’t put my foot at all - Pattaya. Obviously, the last place on Earth to find decent woman is KhaoSan...
Feb 13, 2018
495 posts
539 upvotes
so will the bulls put more money in real estate now?
or just all talks so others will become the greater fools?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
rfdchan wrote: so will the bulls put more money in real estate now?
or just all talks so others will become the greater fools?
It's always been all talk. You really think that the bulls on here are buying DT condos at $1300/sq ft right now?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4532 posts
4061 upvotes
alex_d10 wrote: It's always been all talk. You really think that the bulls on here are buying DT condos at $1300/sq ft right now?
Yes. Because it's cheap.
Jul 11, 2004
238 posts
49 upvotes
Smart123 wrote: What if bank of Canada increase rate to stop free fall of CAD. That's what some Asian economies doing to suppor currency
In theory, that would support the CAD. In reality, they will let the CAD depreciate to support the Canadian economy.
Apr 17, 2017
802 posts
590 upvotes
teamocil wrote: Big issue is that most of the production is made for the sole purpose of exporting into the US. If the tables were reversed and a company choose to setup up a huge manufacturing production just outside of our border employing people from another country only to sell us stuff then we'd be upset too.

Trump was elected in to bring jobs back to the US which have been disappearing outside their borders for a long time. Plus being the bigger importer, they are in an advantage as they have nothing to lose and Canada has nothing to gain by the US wanting to reduce the trade imbalances between the country. Just be glad we are not Mexico who will be clobbered hard by their new agreement. Our government needs to recognize this and be willing to discuss how we can narrow it to form a new agreement with minimal disruptions. Simply play ball and listen to their genuine concerns (and there are definitely genuine issues on both sides) and not simply just attack Trump/US publicly and play the victim card or we could end up with alot less.

I don't see how job losses won't occur with a new agreement given the primary goal for the US is to reduce the trade imbalance.
There is no trade imbalance. But Trump and the media would have you believe otherwise.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2017
1366 posts
176 upvotes
elpresidente wrote: There is no trade imbalance. But Trump and the media would have you believe otherwise.
"Trump May Actually Be Right About the Trade Deficit With Canada"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ith-canada
Statistics Canada data show it’s Canada with the surplus in goods and services, totaling C$18.8 billion ($14.6 billion) last year.
it could be argued Canada’s statistics agency is overstating exports. Canadian businesses often import goods from third countries such as China only to re-export those goods to the American market. Statistics Canada records that as a Canadian export; the U.S. data would record that as an import from China, not Canada.

All semantics on how you crunch the data..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
So what's the newest version of predicted "negative impacts" now?

Please present your bearish points in logical order for easy eternal quoting by the future community to come.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)