Computers & Electronics

US and Canadian Echo Dot on same network?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2018 12:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1609 posts
258 upvotes
Kitchener

US and Canadian Echo Dot on same network?

I've been using two US purchased 2nd gen dots with my Lutron Caseta system, with no issues to control the lights in my place.

I purchased a 3rd gen dot from Bestbuy.ca and added it to the network but now, the voice commands just get the Dot saying, "_________ doesn't support that".

Is there a way to get these working together?
5 replies
Aug 21, 2006
22 posts
7 upvotes
Set the language to US English instead of Canadian English. Many of the US skills don’t exist in Canadian English yet. It has no trouble understanding me in US English.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3258 posts
2195 upvotes
Some skill developers have clarified that it's not as easy as just allowing the skill to be offered in Canada. Amazon has updated their skills API several times, and currently they require that for a skill to be enabled in new country it must conform to the latest API. So if the developer has a skill offered in the U.S. that was developed using an older version of the API, it is grandfathered there, but they would have to put in some more development effort to allow it to be offered in other countries.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1609 posts
258 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks, I'll give that a try
Apr 20, 2017
8 posts
I have a Canadian purchased Echo dot and plan on spending some time in the US this winter. Does anyone have any experience on whether or not I will be able to use it while in the US?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1784 posts
306 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
not sure why people fudge around with this, but if you obtained your echo dot from the usa, you need to set your amazon account to usa to activate it, then change your amazon account back to canadian then change your echo dot to canadian once it receives the firmware update. if you do not do this you will not be able to activate or use it it at all with a canadian account. trust me, do not fall for the nonsense, just keep everything canadian, it will be tied to your amazon account so ur purchases will not be affected. trust me on this one guys, do not mess around and try to defeat this,. you will be sorry u waisted your time
Hi