Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
2671 posts
7 upvotes

US car insurance for Canadians

Are there roadblocks when buying car insurance for short term use in the US?

I assume we are using our Canadian credit cards, some of which cover insurance for travel (including auto)...not sure how that affects premiums though.

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2341 posts
36 upvotes
Brampton
what? how are you going to purchase car insurance without a US driver's license?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9118 posts
1720 upvotes
Markham
I believe most car insurance contract cover in USA for a short trip. The car insurance agent just suggest me to add 2 million civil liability if I go to States often.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9379 posts
1142 upvotes
Why do you need US car insurance? Short term or long term?

I've been down here for almost 2 years and I'm still using my Canadian insurance. Too much hassle to change to US. You need a State license, and than you need a state plate, and than you need to get the insurance. In simple terms.

Yea I will save maybe $500-$1000 a year, but I'm hoping it'll drop when I turn 25 soon and it's too much hassle for me for other reasons.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7341 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
FYI: Many states will issue you a drivers license provided you are permitted to stay in the US for more then 6 months (aka work/study visa). Just have to meet their ID verification standards, I think they call it 6 point or something.

If your insurance is really that high, consider rentawreck.ca - fleet insurance is perfect for those with a bad driving history.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2008 12:36 am

I've been down here for almost 2 years and I'm still using my Canadian insurance. Too much hassle to change to US. You need a State license, and than you need a state plate, and than you need to get the insurance. In simple terms.

Yea I will save maybe $500-$1000 a year, but I'm hoping it'll drop when I turn 25 soon and it's too much hassle for me for other reasons.
You better hope you neer get into an accident because as soon as your insurance finds out you've been living there your insurance void, not to mention your license and registration as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4437 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
In california for one you dont need a state driving licence. I have a car with California plates, insured with Allstate in the US and a Canadian driving licence.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4159 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
maxgohan wrote:
Feb 28th, 2008 12:20 am
what? how are you going to purchase car insurance without a US driver's license?
Cough wrote:
Feb 28th, 2008 11:07 pm
In california for one you dont need a state driving licence. I have a car with California plates, insured with Allstate in the US and a Canadian driving licence.
Same with Florida, I purchased and plated a vehicle there (also used Allstate I believe) with only a Canadian driver's license when I was working there.

(in fact, I believe you are not suppose to have multiple licenses (although Florida does have 'non-resident' license specifically for this))
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4159 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
aquariaguy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2008 12:36 am

spf1971 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2008 5:15 am
You better hope you neer get into an accident because as soon as your insurance finds out you've been living there your insurance void, not to mention your license and registration as well.
Yeah, I agree with the previous poster - if you aren't a living/driving where your insurance company thinks you are, you need to call them asap before you find out the hard way that you violated your policy and that you're driving without insurance. Also most states and provinces require you to register your vehicle and change your DL if you become a resident within a few months (they have some special circumstances for temporary residents but 2 years might not qualify for that).

I worked in the US temporarily on a few occasions and while I did not have to re-register my vehicle, I did have to notify my insurance company of the relocation and my premiums were affected.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)