• Jan 11th, 2019 3:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2179 posts
821 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

US cheese mountain grows

US cheese mountain grows. Demand down (still annual per capita consumption of 37 lbs), supply up. So all the surplus gets turned into cheese which has grown every month for 5 1/2 years.

The solution seems to be the old "we lose money on every (gallon) we sell but we'll make it up in volume". I guess the mega dairies are scaling up to drive their per-unit production costs down and hopefully drive their small competitors out of business at the same time.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14675 posts
2740 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:48 pm
US cheese mountain grows. Demand down (still annual per capita consumption of 37 lbs), supply up. So all the surplus gets turned into cheese which has grown every month for 5 1/2 years.

The solution seems to be the old "we lose money on every (gallon) we sell but we'll make it up in volume". I guess the mega dairies are scaling up to drive their per-unit production costs down and hopefully drive their small competitors out of business at the same time.
American Pizza places should offer a promotion with "Double cheese".
That ought to help...
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4364 posts
1803 upvotes
Mississauga
And yet Trump still whines about our dairy industry when his own is just as disfunctional.
Nov 12, 2014
775 posts
520 upvotes
Kingston, ON
mrweather wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:51 am
And yet Trump still whines about our dairy industry when his own is just as disfunctional.
That's an understatement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2179 posts
821 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:08 am
They doesnt the government buy it and feed everyone.
Free cheese for all.
I take it you don't eat the stuff? I really don't think they can give very much more away than is already being sold because no one would want to take it. I tried generic U.S. cheese (from Wisconsin - which was the biggest dairy-producing state at that time) about 40 years ago and found it to be pretty tasteless (even worse than cheap cheese in Canada which I find saltiness is the first thing once tastes) and that hasn't really improved. Even some premium/better dairies like Tillamook make increasingly flavourless cheese. Unfortunately poor quality milk is being dumped into cheese which doesn't make for anything that tastes good.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41103 posts
4887 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:33 pm
I take it you don't eat the stuff? I really don't think they can give very much more away than is already being sold because no one would want to take it. I tried generic U.S. cheese (from Wisconsin - which was the biggest dairy-producing state at that time) about 40 years ago and found it to be pretty tasteless (even worse than cheap cheese in Canada which I find saltiness is the first thing once tastes) and that hasn't really improved. Even some premium/better dairies like Tillamook make increasingly flavourless cheese. Unfortunately poor quality milk is being dumped into cheese which doesn't make for anything that tastes good.
True... i once bought a 500gram block of walmart great value cheese for $2.99 the price was right.
But it was bland... is it like that or worst?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7479 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
Back in the day, they used to give cheese as part of the food stamps program or perhaps it was a food bank IIRC.

My ameri-relative used to give me a block of cheese that was 12" x 4" x 4"

Grilled cheese for I don't know how many sandwiches.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!