Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Amazon.com Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire: $139 (Regularly $169)

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2012 6:36 pm
Tags:
None
8 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2198 posts
2414 upvotes
fyi, this brand new (non-refurb) costs $199. So your saving about $60.
Amazon reburbished it themselves, so I'd imagine its a good job.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes
wildzero wrote: fyi, this brand new (non-refurb) costs $199. So your saving about $60.
Amazon reburbished it themselves, so I'd imagine its a good job.
I buy refurb all the time. The main thing is you're getting a warranty.
The chance of a brand new unit failing is probably the same as a certified refurb.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought that this was not usable in Canada since the internet access is only through Amazon's servers because of their propriety android implementation.

I know there isn't 3G available here but does it work fully on wireless networks even though the IP will identify the Canadian access point?
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: I thought that this was not usable in Canada since the internet access is only through Amazon's servers because of their propriety android implementation.

I know there isn't 3G available here but does it work fully on wireless networks even though the IP will identify the Canadian access point?

That's quite possible. Though many of us on RFD subscribed to free or paid US VPN services.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
I have one, and you can use it just fine in Canada without VPN or anything. The problem is that a lot of the services (ie Amazon Video, Music, AppStore) are region locked so you can't buy content from them. The web browser, online functions, etc all work as they should, you can even browse Amazon's library, you just can't buy. The real problem is that the Kindle Fire doesn't come with the Google Play Store installed, relying solely on Amazon's offerings. Since Canadians can't buy, you really have no option but to go through the hoops and loops to install Google's stuff onto the device so you can finally buy and load up some content.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
PharaohsVizier wrote: I have one, and you can use it just fine in Canada without VPN or anything. The problem is that a lot of the services (ie Amazon Video, Music, AppStore) are region locked so you can't buy content from them. The web browser, online functions, etc all work as they should, you can even browse Amazon's library, you just can't buy. The real problem is that the Kindle Fire doesn't come with the Google Play Store installed, relying solely on Amazon's offerings. Since Canadians can't buy, you really have no option but to go through the hoops and loops to install Google's stuff onto the device so you can finally buy and load up some content.

That doesn't sound like a very compelling argument for a purchase though. It would seem to make more sense to keep using a proper ebook reader like my Kindle K3 or Sony PRST1 and a tablet that can be fully enabled in Canada for magazine reading, movies, games, web surfing etc. I would be all over this like white on rice if the full Amazon service was available here in Canada.

Thanks for the user update; that's exactly what I wanted to know.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
3289 posts
1606 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't even see a way to have this refurbished item sent to Canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)