Automotive

US Manufacturers That Still Honor Warranty On New Cars Imported To Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 8:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2486 posts
566 upvotes
Lethbridge

US Manufacturers That Still Honor Warranty On New Cars Imported To Canada?

Did a quick search, but didn’t find much – So, sorry if this is redundant.

This got brought up over drinks on the weekend. Retired family friend who is a snowbird has now inspected a couple potential US imports for his friends (mostly rare, hard to find stuff here – Old collector cars, air-cooled Porsches, etc). He is currently on the hunt for a Chev SS which has led him to several dealer lots as most are relatively new. This has led to a few discussions about transferring warranty, recalls, etc & of course the old days of Canadians trying to buy new cars via the Arizona dealers when the dollar was at par.

This brought up the question if are there any US manufacturers left that will honor the warranties in Canada if NEW cars are bought south of the border…? I know Subaru used to reimburse, but they were certainly the exception, not the norm. And, yes, I realize it makes little sense when the dollar is at 30%+ exchange, lol. More out of curiosity.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8662 posts
7314 upvotes
Oakville
It does make sense in some cases even with the exchange rate. Some cars are just much cheaper there, or if you want a rust free body it can be hard to find here.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6489 posts
2584 upvotes
Kootenays
Pauly Boy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:29 am
Perfect. Thank you. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that website before too – The red light/green light layout rings a bell.
It used to show up every once in a while in the import mega thread. The copyright symbol at the bottom says it's current to 2018.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3569 posts
1218 upvotes
Mississauga
Was looking for a Chevrolet SS at one time too. But used prices are pretty much the same as new. 2018 was the last model year and they’re pretty tough to find.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8226 posts
869 upvotes
I can confirm the information for Infiniti is correct. We've brought our US infiniti for 1 major warranty, 1 recall and 2? Service bulletins and all were covered locally with no issues. The car was bought used so there was no issue meeting the requirements.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)