Food & Drink

Is US milk safe to drink? Health Canada says yes.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2018 7:16 pm
Aug 26, 2018
377 posts
745 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: When it comes to cheese I support European. I avoid anything Saputo, Agropur... if it has that blue cow logo, I don't buy it.

Brie from Quebec smells, tastes, and has the texture of synthetic rubber compared to the authentic French product, overpriced crap that you'd expect from a protected cartel. And why would you ruin your pasta dishes using Canadian "parmesan" instead of real Parmigiano-Reggiano? Balderson (the supposedly premium cartel cheddar) is overpriced garbage compared to English or American cheddar.

On cross-border shopping trips I go straight to the cheese fridges at Wegmans, Trader Joe's, and Sam's Club for properly priced European product to bring home. Also European butter which is rare here given that it's tariffed at 300% but I bring it in as groceries duty-free.
Quebec is funny. They always try to milk off their French connection with everything they do, pun intended in this case. But Quebec is as French as the rest of Canada is Great Britain English. That is to say, not at all the same.
MaxPower19 wrote: US milk would be priced lower to entice people to switch from Canadian milk. I’m not sure if you’re trolling or serious here. Within your logic, how would you explain price differences from one store to the next? Or the fact that prices from one Canadian to the next also vary?
Exactly. Especially for the Canadian market they can price it lower, even at a loss if they have to to gain market share. Although there are still trade restrictions with the new deal and is not totally free trade. But if it was they can price it at a loss to gain market share. Force the Canadian producers to be price competitive, which the Canadian producers will hate because it means they don't take home as much profit for themselves. The goal is to price them out, and only then once you become a major player, to start raising prices. It's what Amazon's strategy is basically. Price low, then once you gain critical mass, start ramping up margins.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: You'll have a hard time finding Kerrygold or any other foreign butter (Plugra from the USA too) because it's hit with a ridiculous 300% tariff (cheese isn't hit anywhere as bad as that). So even if it did come across the border nobody would be willing to pay $10+ for a pound of it!

Needless to say I get Kerrygold and Plugra on my cross border trips. Sometimes you'll even find them on sale! (Kerrygold cheese and butter often appears at ALDI as a special buy).
I would pay that. I don't cross the border enough to not be willing to pay it. At least give me the choice and what doesn't sell within 90 expiry get it's ass back to Wegmans on discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote: I don't think it's a tax issue, I thought it was a mad cow thing or something. Would love to be wrong, I will pay whatever tax they want for it!

Anyone know for sure? (Kerrygold butter not avail in Ontario, maybe Canada?)
I don't think it's because of mad cow as Kerry Gold cheeses are sold in Ontario, one would assume using the same dairy. I could be wrong but I was told it was because of the 298% tariff placed on it, as someone else mentioned it would bring a pound to about $10. I'd be willing to pay that as would many of my friends.

And European cheeses are so delicious, even the processed stuff, I enjoy the Seriously Strong Cheedar spread.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2014
1172 posts
1004 upvotes
Kingston, ON
MaxPower19 wrote: US milk would be priced lower to entice people to switch from Canadian milk. I’m not sure if you’re trolling or serious here. Within your logic, how would you explain price differences from one store to the next? Or the fact that prices from one Canadian to the next also vary?
You clearly have no idea how milk is priced in Canada....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I think eventually the line will become very blurred between US and Canadian milk.
Coming back from the US yesterday I saw tankers of milk already coming from the border area.
I don't drink milk in general as I pretty much only use Carnation evaporated milk in cooking, coffee and any milk based punches/drinks I make.
I do buy US cheeses like Cabot Habanero and Cracker Barrel aged reserve cheddar etc, obviously made with US milk.
You won't be able to get away from it unless they start labelling the milks as Canadian and you pay a premium as I'm sure many Canadian farmers will go out of business reducing the supply.
I think there are health consequences to much that we do, and not limited to any one product or source, but a whole array of items including the air that we breathe, the water we drink etc.
Some are affected more than others depending on their lifestyles, habits and socio economic status than others.
At the end of the day it's an individual choice.
There is so much in North America we can do better at when we compare ourselves to more disciplined nations like Europe and Japan.
We have a tendency to take a much longer time to evolve here in North America so another couple hundred years maybe?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
QN5252 wrote: You clearly have no idea how milk is priced in Canada....
Yes, I am very aware. US entrants will price their product lower to gain market share.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
WMPCOT wrote: I don't think it's because of mad cow as Kerry Gold cheeses are sold in Ontario, one would assume using the same dairy. I could be wrong but I was told it was because of the 298% tariff placed on it, as someone else mentioned it would bring a pound to about $10. I'd be willing to pay that as would many of my friends.

And European cheeses are so delicious, even the processed stuff, I enjoy the Seriously Strong Cheedar spread.

I'd pay for Kerrygold too,would be really nice to have the option. Someone should tell them there are people even willing to pay a monstrous tax so get it on shelves!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
snow00774 wrote: I'd pay for Kerrygold too,would be really nice to have the option. Someone should tell them there are people even willing to pay a monstrous tax so get it on shelves!
Me too. I've tried so many Canadian brands and they taste like water compared to what's on offer in Europe.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
i just got back from vacation in California.

Milk at Costco was 2 jugs for $4.

I probably drank a gallon myself and didn't die.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
unshavenyak wrote: Me too. I've tried so many Canadian brands and they taste like water compared to what's on offer in Europe.
Kerrygold group buy in the making!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)