• Aug 26th, 2017 11:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1003 posts
34 upvotes

US SIM card

I'm heading to Chicago and I have an unlocked iPhone with Koodo which doesn't have a Roam Like Home feature that Rogers offers. What's my best bet in terms of getting wireless data while I'm in Chicago?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1993 posts
877 upvotes
enigma54 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:39 pm
I'm heading to Chicago and I have an unlocked iPhone with Koodo which doesn't have a Roam Like Home feature that Rogers offers. What's my best bet in terms of getting wireless data while I'm in Chicago?
When are you leaving? Best deals are to be had if you have at least 2-3 weeks until your departure so you can order a SIM on eBay/Amazon. Assuming you don't have this time there are very few options once you get there (most deals are online-only with SIM shipped to you). In store I think the cheapest is AT&T SIM (free if you get it from AT&T store or $9.99 at Target) and $15 top-up. Then activate the $2/day plan and $1/day 100MB data. If you don't make/accept any calls/text in a day only the data plan will be charged (so $1) so in the best case scenario you will get 1.5GB data valid for 15 days out of your $15 top-up. I think that's the cheapest solution if you must get it in a physical store.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4103 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
deelogic wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:21 pm
Tmobile has a tourist plan that lasts 3 weeks. It gives you 1,000 minutes of talk, unlimited texts and data, with up to 2GB of 4G LTE data.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pre ... urist-plan
The 2 Gb LTE plan of Roammobility costs Can$30 for a month. The SIM $10 is available physically in Canada in a lot of locations. And one can have things set up in advance in Canada
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1377 posts
368 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
deelogic wrote:
Tmobile has a tourist plan that lasts 3 weeks. It gives you 1,000 minutes of talk, unlimited texts and data, with up to 2GB of 4G LTE data.

Their tourist plan is not easy to get. Doesn't it require a US-issued credit card or social security number?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Jun 1, 2008
593 posts
129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:47 pm
Their tourist plan is not easy to get. Doesn't it require a US-issued credit card or social security number?
Nope just prepaid. You sign up at a tmo store.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1377 posts
368 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
deelogic wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:56 pm
Nope just prepaid. You sign up at a tmo store.
That makes it easy. Is it possible to order the sim cards on eBay prior to the trip, then activating over the phone?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3598 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
deelogic wrote:

T-Mobile SIM is what i use. Canadian credit card and got a San Diego number at the time. Still top it up at $10 /year to keep the number.
Jun 1, 2008
593 posts
129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:15 am
That makes it easy. Is it possible to order the sim cards on eBay prior to the trip, then activating over the phone?
Looks like you can just activate it online as long as you have a sim card with the activation code and imei. I'm guessing the tourist kit includes the airtime voucher, sim and plan details.
Jun 1, 2008
593 posts
129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
danieltoronto wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:38 pm
The 2 Gb LTE plan of Roammobility costs Can$30 for a month. The SIM $10 is available physically in Canada in a lot of locations. And one can have things set up in advance in Canada
Thanks for the heads up! I saw Roam sims at Petro Canada today. The only thing I dislike about Roam is the fact they change their rates often. I know time is a huge factor in getting service. I spent many times hunting down tmo locations getting sims or activating Tracfones.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4103 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
deelogic wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:59 am
Thanks for the heads up! I saw Roam sims at Petro Canada today. The only thing I dislike about Roam is the fact they change their rates often. I know time is a huge factor in getting service. I spent many times hunting down tmo locations getting sims or activating Tracfones.
AFAIK, their daily (talk/text/data) and pure data rate hardly change at all the last few years. I use their data at least 4 times a year. The only catch is driving trip as LTE coverage applies only to populated area. Not the highway.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4103 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:18 am
T-Mobile SIM is what i use. Canadian credit card and got a San Diego number at the time. Still top it up at $10 /year to keep the number.
RM does not need top up. You need to buy something once a year.
Say you used RM Jan 1, you need to pay Can$3 Dec 31 ( for using 1 day)

@deelogic. It sounds like you are an infrequent user. RM costs less to keep the account in the long run
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1993 posts
877 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:15 am
It doesn't make sense to get Tmo if you have time to order online. You can get Freedompop or any of the MVNOs like H2O which go for ultracheap on eBay and have access to the superior AT&T network.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4103 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
deelogic wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:59 am
RM is a Canadian company. But I am not suggesting that you should favour it just because of it is Canadian. Its plan is geared for Canadians going south:
(i) It takes Canadian credit card in Can$ and the SIM are available in local shops
(ii) its talk/text plan includes unlimited call back home. That is critical if your use of the phone (call back home/office) is indispensible. T Mobile+ AT&T prepaid (unlike long term) plans do not have that.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan