US virtual credit card for Canadian

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 2:03 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18701 posts
5733 upvotes

US virtual credit card for Canadian

I wanna get the Honor V10 from Huawei USA since I am heading down there next month but their website reject Canadian CC and Paypal too.

Is there anyway to setup a US virtual credit card for Canadian? Or any other ways?

thank you
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
kiasu wrote: I wanna get the Honor V10 from Huawei USA since I am heading down there next month but their website reject Canadian CC and Paypal too.

Is there anyway to setup a US virtual credit card for Canadian? Or any other ways?

thank you
Why not just buy one when you're down there?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18701 posts
5733 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Why not just buy one when you're down there?
I dont know where to buy or if there is any flag ship store
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
kiasu wrote: I dont know where to buy or if there is any flag ship store
There are plenty of banks willing to accommodate in the land of the free.

Your old signature is a relic from a bygone era. Keep it for nostalgia.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
most creditcards allow for a secondary address which you can make US and it gets around most of those systems for the pesky few that that doesn't work temporarily change your card's primary address to a US address removing the canadian one.
worst case you miss out on a paper statement that goes stateside one month and you may have to call again to change it back but thats about it.
i do this a few times a month never ran into a issue
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18701 posts
5733 upvotes
HiddenEmailer wrote: most creditcards allow for a secondary address which you can make US and it gets around most of those systems for the pesky few that that doesn't work temporarily change your card's primary address to a US address removing the canadian one.
worst case you miss out on a paper statement that goes stateside one month and you may have to call again to change it back but thats about it.
Interesting..ok i will give it a try

Thank you
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
HiddenEmailer wrote: most creditcards allow for a secondary address which you can make US and it gets around most of those systems for the pesky few that that doesn't work temporarily change your card's primary address to a US address removing the canadian one.
That only works sometimes... Some retailers will only take credit cards issued by a US bank regardless of primary addresses.
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
craftsman wrote: That only works sometimes... Some retailers will only take credit cards issued by a US bank regardless of primary addresses.
possibly
I've never had it fail with several VISAs, my MC or AMEX but frankly if i find a card where that truly doesn't work it would be the day I would drop that card like a ton of bricks.

in my experience they lie sometimes when they claim they change the primary and don't.

I almost had that with AMEX till as soon as a talked about "OK we are canceling the card" thats when they transferred me to another agent and I learned the average agent was taught to only change the either the secondary or in some cases a there was a 3rd address field that was used for cross boarder shopping.
they quickly smartened up and changed the actual primary field instead of one of the others.

after that i know they noted the account and any agent i talked to afterwards did it correctly so there must be something they do, wish i knew more :S
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Is that some thing new?
US stores not accepting Canadian credit cards?
I don't buy much in the US, but I never had a problem using any of my Canadian credit cards.
In fact I just used my Canadian credit card in Austria, Germany, India and Dubai - never had a problem.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
HiddenEmailer wrote: possibly
I've never had it fail with several VISAs, my MC or AMEX but frankly if i find a card where that truly doesn't work it would be the day I would drop that card like a ton of bricks.

in my experience they lie sometimes when they claim they change the primary and don't.

I almost had that with AMEX till as soon as a talked about "OK we are canceling the card" thats when they transferred me to another agent and I learned the average agent was taught to only change the either the secondary or in some cases a there was a 3rd address field that was used for cross boarder shopping.
they quickly smartened up and changed the actual primary field instead of one of the others.

after that i know they noted the account and any agent i talked to afterwards did it correctly so there must be something they do, wish i knew more :S
In my case, that wasn't it. The payment screen knew that I wasn't using a US bank credit card so I had to call it in directly to the vendor rather than use their website. They stated on the phone that they had a policy of not accepting non-US bank based credit cards.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
krs wrote: Is that some thing new?
US stores not accepting Canadian credit cards?
I don't buy much in the US, but I never had a problem using any of my Canadian credit cards.
In fact I just used my Canadian credit card in Austria, Germany, India and Dubai - never had a problem.
Nothing new.... in fact, it's old but rare.