Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] USA Roaming T-Mobile, AT&T & Sprint Hotspot *iPhone w/3G HSPA on T-Mobile (NEW)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2016 10:33 pm
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Original Post updated to include T-Mobile details. If I missed something, let me know so that I can update/fix/remove in the post.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1038 posts
81 upvotes
With my t-mobile sim, last year (2011) I was able with my plan to call Canada (land line and mobile) unlimited no LD charges, and unlimited text to any Canadian mobile number.... I think I paid $10 on top of the $50 unlimited text, calling, and data plan. $60 for 30 days in Florida was well worth it.

I wonder if they still have this $10 unlimited calling to canada feature? I remember the telephone agent had to add it on.
Jun 29, 2011
171 posts
33 upvotes
NEPEAN
andriykoua wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 11:38 pm
I am enjoying My T-Mobile service with Google Voice. $2 per day for talk, text and data (EDGE) as I don't have AWS phone that is compatible with T-Mobile to enjoy $3 for (3G) data but I am able to call Canada for free as well as send them a text message using Google Voice. This is what I call Wireless Freedom.

I will post later one the pricing breakdown for T-Mobile sim card and how much money it included.

Regarding calling back to Canada using your T-mobile phone using google voice - I think there is a simpler method than using an app - if your t-mobile phone is one of the GV forward phone, then if you call your GV number from that phone, you can then dial any number from there... No fuss with apps and this will work with dumb phones as well.

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/ans ... wer=115079
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1434 posts
166 upvotes
Zork1984 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 9:42 am
Regarding calling back to Canada using your T-mobile phone using google voice - I think there is a simpler method than using an app - if your t-mobile phone is one of the GV forward phone, then if you call your GV number from that phone, you can then dial any number from there... No fuss with apps and this will work with dumb phones as well.

Why bother with callback and dial twice (call GV, then your intended number). With T-Mo's $2/day plan, you have unlimited 2G data so just use any one of those free voip adds like DellVoice, Vontage (until they cancel the free call service) and many others and just call directly.
Remember to click the Thanks button if this is helpful to you...
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Zork1984 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 9:42 am

Good suggestion, I will update the OP tonight. This is is definitely good for people without smartphones. Thank you.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
redflag999 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 10:14 am
Why bother with callback and dial twice (call GV, then your intended number). With T-Mo's $2/day plan, you have unlimited 2G data so just use any one of those free voip adds like DellVoice, Vontage (until they cancel the free call service) and many others and just call directly.

The quality of a call over data isn't the same. Good alternative, but not the same.
Jun 29, 2011
171 posts
33 upvotes
NEPEAN
redflag999 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 10:14 am

1. It works whether one has a smart phone or not
2. Better voice quality (less dependent on data network jitters)
3. Many voip apps do not properly support bluetooth devices

I agree dialing twice is not ideal, but there are always other factors that come into the decision, and I just present another free option that other members may find more useful.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Zork1984 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 11:16 am

I agree dialing twice is not ideal, but there are always other factors that come into the decision, and I just present another free option that other members may find more useful.

+1

Yep, that is exactly my point as well. I don't want to be dependent on Data, cause that is not reliable even if you have LTE
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1434 posts
166 upvotes
Zork1984 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 11:16 am

I guess I still don't quite understand Google Voice (and i think I confused it with GrooveIP app) as I just got a GV number myself.
As I understand it, you can set it up so when someone call your GV number, it can forward it to Google Chat (on pc) and any number of US phone number, and if not answered, it will re-forward to your GV voicemail.

So if I am in the US and if I want to call US, then I just use my TMo number but

If I want to call to Canada, aside from using a VOIP app. I can either use the GV app (smart phone) or for a dumb phone, call my GV number, then hit 2 (when do I do this?) and enter the number?? Not sure how that work...
Remember to click the Thanks button if this is helpful to you...
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14252 posts
580 upvotes
Scarborough
How do you add only $5? the minimum add is $10...

and they gave my number away, i added $10 to some focker.
MOONBOX M3S:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread

ONE PLUS 3 GRAPHITE VERSION $650 obo

[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
actng wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 12:36 pm

Your account is active for 90 days. How did that happen? I think the minimum is 10 dollars.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
redflag999 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 11:40 am
I guess I still don't quite understand Google Voice (and i think I confused it with GrooveIP app) as I just got a GV number myself.

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/ans ... wer=115061

As I understand it, you can set it up so when someone call your GV number, it can forward it to Google Chat (on pc) and any number of US phone number, and if not answered, it will re-forward to your GV voicemail. (*this is correct, I removed google chat option as I only nees it to forward to my T-Mobile line)

So if I am in the US and if I want to call US, then I just use my TMo number (yes you can use your T-Mobile number, but what happens if you change your T-Mobile number? With Google Voice, you have one number for sms and for calls and less confusion for people who will be calling you) but

If I want to call to Canada, aside from using a VOIP app. I can either use the GV app (smart phone) or for a dumb phone, call my GV number, then hit 2 (when do I do this?) and enter the number??( * yes that is correct, you do this when you have regular phone with T-Mobile number attached to it and that T-Mobile line has to be linked to your GV account.) Not sure how that work...
See my comments within your original text. Hope that helps
May 26, 2005
821 posts
255 upvotes
One note on the T-Mobile plans:

While your minutes expire after 90 days, your account does not expire until 90 days after your minutes expire.

This means you don't need to add money to your account every 90 days days to keep your SIM card and phone number active. You only need to add money every 180 days. This is an important distinction if you aren't a frequent traveller to the U.S.
Feb 21, 2005
728 posts
62 upvotes
actng wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 12:36 pm

i had purchased a few $5 vouchers a few years ago (all with a use before date of 2013) when they still had $5 vouchers available. I have them sitting in a drawer in my desk just for this purpose, to keep my account alive...
An agressive nature does not make a weaker man a gladiator....

Phone numbers for sale:
613.wxw.xxxy and wxw.xxxz pm me for info
× < >