• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 3:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 28, 2003
636 posts
19 upvotes

USB-C Cables

Recently picked up the S8 and need to track down some USB-C cables to charge it with, an extra one for home as well as one for the office. I assumed this would be a pretty easy process but after googling why some had 56 ohm resistors I fell into a rabbit hole of non-compliant cables, exploding wall chargers and melting cables.

Can anyone recommend some decent, reasonably priced, USB-C cables in Canada in the 4-6' range that are compliant to the standard?
32 replies
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
Anker USB C to USB 3.0 (Type A) cables all have the resistors and will work fine. Easily found on Amazon.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I'm looking for USB C to USB C, these are harder to find because they aren't all compliant (USB C IF)

The connector can be USB C, but the cable can be USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1. Some may not even support Power Delivery (PD)

Still trying to find a decent USB C car charger.

https://www.amazon.ca/Belkin-3-Foot-USB ... B00WJSPCSG

Don't really want to pay $50 for a cable
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1866 posts
224 upvotes
Waterlooo
I bought a couple of tiny usb-micro to usb-c converters. cheap and allows me to use my existing stock of cables. they also have the resister built in.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rilles wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 2:08 pm
I bought a couple of tiny usb-micro to usb-c converters. cheap and allows me to use my existing stock of cables. they also have the resister built in.
The most you can do with that scenario is 5 Volts and 2.4 Amps
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 2:45 pm
The most you can do with that scenario is 5 Volts and 2.4 Amps
I wonder if I got some bunk converters because I can't even get that.
My 5X barely charges with my Aukey ones.

Also I wasn't aware that USBC specs were that much above that.
Although I guess it makes sense since I think some manufacturers are charging full sized notebooks via USBC.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:33 pm
Also I wasn't aware that USBC specs were that much above that.
Although I guess it makes sense since I think some manufacturers are charging full sized notebooks via USBC.
The USB C spec has the cable at 3 Amps using Power Delivery (PD)

Maximum is 100 watts (not common) but I have seen specs with 60 watts (20 Volts at 3 Amps)

My Pixel XL uses a 9 Volts at 2 Amps and cheap cables won't cut it
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13098 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:13 pm
The USB C spec has the cable at 3 Amps using Power Delivery (PD)

Maximum is 100 watts (not common) but I have seen specs with 60 watts (20 Volts at 3 Amps)

My Pixel XL uses a 9 Volts at 2 Amps and cheap cables won't cut it
Have you tried infinite cables in Markham? I have bought numerous USB cables from them. They are okay, very reasonable pricing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 7:45 am
Have you tried infinite cables in Markham? I have bought numerous USB cables from them. They are okay, very reasonable pricing.
It is not the price I am concerned about.

You have to ensure that the cable has the proper resistor and that it is rated for 3 Amps
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3106 posts
492 upvotes
GTA
Depends what you consider decently priced. Apples 2m long USB-C to USB-C cable is considered to be one of the best but it's $25
[OP]
Aug 28, 2003
636 posts
19 upvotes
I ended up grabbing a couple of the Anker ones WorldIRC suggested from Amazon, can always return them I guess but it seems like they'll be alright.

This seems like an unusual amount of discussion that needs to be had over purchasing a cable, I'm surprised that this stuff hasn't been ironed out a long time ago especially if there is some risk to the devices and chargers involved.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Twitch1977 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 8:45 am
This seems like an unusual amount of discussion that needs to be had over purchasing a cable, I'm surprised that this stuff hasn't been ironed out a long time ago especially if there is some risk to the devices and chargers involved.
USB C is a game changer. The issues have been ironed out. However, manufacturers don't have to be compliant. They will cut corners to sell more cables.

From my limited research, it appears only a few companies are compliant. Apple, Google and Belkin. I am sure there are others, but there is no guarantee. I am trying to find a car charger that supports USB C PD (Power Delivery) and that is more of a challenge. Most of the ones I see are USB C, but they don't state the supported Voltages.

Since you're looking for USB C to USB Type A, it really makes no difference unless you're using Quick Charge (QC) and it maxes out at 20 Watts
Jan 17, 2009
316 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I got mine from MonoPrice after running into OP's exact same problem with my Pixel. It was difficult to find Benson approved USB-C to USB-C.
I got my cables and wall charger from MonoPrice.
Got these USB-C 6 footers: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13010
And this wall charger:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2
and they work great. Also does Power Delivery for rapid charge on my Pixel.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1500 posts
193 upvotes
Does anyone know what will do qc 3.0 or fast charge on a lg g5? I don't know what the v and ma mean.