• Nov 11th, 2017 3:41 pm
Tags:
Apr 24, 2017
815 posts
333 upvotes
Waterloo
vivibaby wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:04 am
Does anyone know what will do qc 3.0 or fast charge on a lg g5? I don't know what the v and ma mean.
v = voltage
ma = milliamp, which is 1/1000th of an amp
w = watts
v * a = w

so lets say a laptop takes 19.5V 3A, it'll be around 60 (19.5*3) watts.

as for the QC 3.0, just look for a charger that is certified 3.0. Aukey/Ankler should sell them.
Mar 18, 2015
829 posts
166 upvotes
Antarctica
Gee wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 8:54 am
USB C is a game changer. The issues have been ironed out. However, manufacturers don't have to be compliant. They will cut corners to sell more cables.

From my limited research, it appears only a few companies are compliant. Apple, Google and Belkin. I am sure there are others, but there is no guarantee. I am trying to find a car charger that supports USB C PD (Power Delivery) and that is more of a challenge. Most of the ones I see are USB C, but they don't state the supported Voltages.

Since you're looking for USB C to USB Type A, it really makes no difference unless you're using Quick Charge (QC) and it maxes out at 20 Watts
Would this be of any help or is it the wrong product?

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-PowerLine-D ... B01EMIIFCU

Edit: nvm. Saw you looking for car chargers. Belkin seems to have one in the $45-$55 range (yikes) but as per one Reddit post even that is not recommended. Seems we gotta wait another year or so to get manufacturers properly on board.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1493 posts
193 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 1:24 pm
v = voltage
ma = milliamp, which is 1/1000th of an amp
w = watts
v * a = w

so lets say a laptop takes 19.5V 3A, it'll be around 60 (19.5*3) watts.

as for the QC 3.0, just look for a charger that is certified 3.0. Aukey/Ankler should sell them.
I'm reading the back of my charger.

input 100-240v 50/60hz 0.5a (0.5a)
output 9.0v=1.8a(9,0v=1,8a) or
5.0v=1.8a(5,0V=1,8a)

Not sure why they used commas instead of periods for the second 1.8a. I've noticed that none of my chargers and cable do fast charging with the exception of the one that came with the phone.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 8:29 pm
I'm reading the back of my charger.

input 100-240v 50/60hz 0.5a (0.5a)
output 9.0v=1.8a(9,0v=1,8a) or
5.0v=1.8a(5,0V=1,8a)

Not sure why they used commas instead of periods for the second 1.8a. I've noticed that none of my chargers and cable do fast charging with the exception of the one that came with the phone.
The 9 Volt 1.8 A is the QuckCharge

Voltage is the amount of Power
Amperage is the current

It is like a river. The amperage is the rate of water flow and the voltage is how wide the river is. If that makes any sense.

The problem is cheap cables can only handle small streams. Good cables can handle wider rivers.

If you have a cheap cable, you cannot handle 9 Volts, whereas most USB cables can easily handle 5 Volts. The really cheap dollar store cables can't even handle 5 Volts
Mar 14, 2017
65 posts
21 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 2:02 pm
That's the right cable. Unfortunately, it is not Benson approved. He found something wrong with it.
Actually it's not the same - the problem cable is A8185011 while the cable in that Amazon link is A8183011. Anker issued a recall on that other cable.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
XeniaOnatopp wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 9:47 pm
Actually it's not the same - the problem cable is A8185011 while the cable in that Amazon link is A8183011. Anker issued a recall on that other cable.
Good catch, I missed that.

I'll take a chance on this cable. I still need to find a proper Type C Car Charger that supports Power Delivery (PD)
Apr 24, 2017
815 posts
333 upvotes
Waterloo
Gee wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 9:57 pm
Good catch, I missed that.

I'll take a chance on this cable. I still need to find a proper Type C Car Charger that supports Power Delivery (PD)
do those even exist? how much power does the cigarette lighter port give?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Sicklyslick wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:23 pm
do those even exist? how much power does the cigarette lighter port give?
Most cars use either a 15 or 10 Amp fuse and the cigarette lighter can draw directly from the 12 Volt battery.

To be conservative, let's use 10 Amps

V x A = Watts

12 x 10 = 120 Watts
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1493 posts
193 upvotes
Okay I tried reading this thread and the wiki and the wirecutter page. The wirecutter recommended aukey adapters but a lot of people are having issues with the cable quality and the powerbanks overheating and blowing up. Those recommendations are based on bensen's work.

I know for a fact that the original usbc cable that came with the nexus 5x made by google and lg is not up to par because they don't sell it anymore nor do they have the same replacement. I've had issues with cable quality problems with the first and second cable even though I've never had any issues with any other usb cable in all my years of use.

The usbc cable that comes with apple do not transfer data at full speed. That is why thewirecutter recommended going with a different manufacturer. Is there a reason why apple can't source a cable that is up to code?

What is the gist of this? Are manufacturers having issues implementing the standard or is that something going on with the standard itself? Is it worth investing into unknown technology when companies like google, lg, and apple can't source a decent cable even with the prices they charge?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 6:32 pm
The usbc cable that comes with apple do not transfer data at full speed. That is why thewirecutter recommended going with a different manufacturer. Is there a reason why apple can't source a cable that is up to code?
Are you looking for a charging cable or a data transfer cable?

If you want the best cable that meets specifications, then buy this one

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU030/

The cost is $30 USD

Keep in mind, if you want full speed transfer, both your device and computer has to support USB 3.1. Don't blame the speed on the cable if your device can't support it

Also, note that advertised speeds are peaks. Sustained speeds will be lower.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1493 posts
193 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 6:52 pm
Are you looking for a charging cable or a data transfer cable?

If you want the best cable that meets specifications, then buy this one

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU030/

The cost is $30 USD

Keep in mind, if you want full speed transfer, both your device and computer has to support USB 3.1. Don't blame the speed on the cable if your device can't support it

Also, note that advertised speeds are peaks. Sustained speeds will be lower.
I don't even have the cables on hand. I'm just referring to the benchmarks from thewirecutter so my point stands. These companies are unable to make a cable that meet standards.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 8:29 pm
I don't even have the cables on hand. I'm just referring to the benchmarks from thewirecutter so my point stands. These companies are unable to make a cable that meet standards.
You have to take third party reviews with a grain of salt.

I know that the cable included with my Pixel is up to spec. The cable is USB C to USB C, USB 2.0

It supports USB C PD (Power Delivery) and charges my phone relatively fast. I haven't tested the transfer speed, but 480 megabits per second (peak) is nothing to write home about.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
2997 posts
233 upvotes
Mississauga
so i'm having these issues on my ZTE Axon 7. Could they be due to bad / poor cables:

1. QuickCharger doesn't work for me. I've tried three quickchargers with two different cables: ZTE, S6, Aukey and all of them keep connecting and disconnecting over and over again. The Aukey one actually makes a buzzing noise before it disconnects and then repeats over and over.

2. Phone overheats on battery charging pretty quickly. Today for the first time ever I got the error/warning that the battery was over 45 degrees ....
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bk2the6ix wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 7:58 am
so i'm having these issues on my ZTE Axon 7. Could they be due to bad / poor cables:
Does it quick charge with the supplied cable and charger?