• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 3:41 pm
Tags:
Mar 14, 2017
244 posts
162 upvotes
Gee wrote: That's the right cable. Unfortunately, it is not Benson approved. He found something wrong with it.
Actually it's not the same - the problem cable is A8185011 while the cable in that Amazon link is A8183011. Anker issued a recall on that other cable.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gee wrote: Good catch, I missed that.

I'll take a chance on this cable. I still need to find a proper Type C Car Charger that supports Power Delivery (PD)
do those even exist? how much power does the cigarette lighter port give?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Sicklyslick wrote: do those even exist? how much power does the cigarette lighter port give?
Most cars use either a 15 or 10 Amp fuse and the cigarette lighter can draw directly from the 12 Volt battery.

To be conservative, let's use 10 Amps

V x A = Watts

12 x 10 = 120 Watts
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
Okay I tried reading this thread and the wiki and the wirecutter page. The wirecutter recommended aukey adapters but a lot of people are having issues with the cable quality and the powerbanks overheating and blowing up. Those recommendations are based on bensen's work.

I know for a fact that the original usbc cable that came with the nexus 5x made by google and lg is not up to par because they don't sell it anymore nor do they have the same replacement. I've had issues with cable quality problems with the first and second cable even though I've never had any issues with any other usb cable in all my years of use.

The usbc cable that comes with apple do not transfer data at full speed. That is why thewirecutter recommended going with a different manufacturer. Is there a reason why apple can't source a cable that is up to code?

What is the gist of this? Are manufacturers having issues implementing the standard or is that something going on with the standard itself? Is it worth investing into unknown technology when companies like google, lg, and apple can't source a decent cable even with the prices they charge?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote: The usbc cable that comes with apple do not transfer data at full speed. That is why thewirecutter recommended going with a different manufacturer. Is there a reason why apple can't source a cable that is up to code?
Are you looking for a charging cable or a data transfer cable?

If you want the best cable that meets specifications, then buy this one

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU030/

The cost is $30 USD

Keep in mind, if you want full speed transfer, both your device and computer has to support USB 3.1. Don't blame the speed on the cable if your device can't support it

Also, note that advertised speeds are peaks. Sustained speeds will be lower.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
Gee wrote: Are you looking for a charging cable or a data transfer cable?

If you want the best cable that meets specifications, then buy this one

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU030/

The cost is $30 USD

Keep in mind, if you want full speed transfer, both your device and computer has to support USB 3.1. Don't blame the speed on the cable if your device can't support it

Also, note that advertised speeds are peaks. Sustained speeds will be lower.
I don't even have the cables on hand. I'm just referring to the benchmarks from thewirecutter so my point stands. These companies are unable to make a cable that meet standards.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote: I don't even have the cables on hand. I'm just referring to the benchmarks from thewirecutter so my point stands. These companies are unable to make a cable that meet standards.
You have to take third party reviews with a grain of salt.

I know that the cable included with my Pixel is up to spec. The cable is USB C to USB C, USB 2.0

It supports USB C PD (Power Delivery) and charges my phone relatively fast. I haven't tested the transfer speed, but 480 megabits per second (peak) is nothing to write home about.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3401 posts
426 upvotes
Mississauga
so i'm having these issues on my ZTE Axon 7. Could they be due to bad / poor cables:

1. QuickCharger doesn't work for me. I've tried three quickchargers with two different cables: ZTE, S6, Aukey and all of them keep connecting and disconnecting over and over again. The Aukey one actually makes a buzzing noise before it disconnects and then repeats over and over.

2. Phone overheats on battery charging pretty quickly. Today for the first time ever I got the error/warning that the battery was over 45 degrees ....
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Didn't feel I should make another thread. Apparently I've just become in the same boat as you, did you ever end up finding the correct USB-C cable and charger? Looking now too and found I wasted a lot of money on eBay cables.
Twitch1977 wrote: Recently picked up the S8 and need to track down some USB-C cables to charge it with, an extra one for home as well as one for the office. I assumed this would be a pretty easy process but after googling why some had 56 ohm resistors I fell into a rabbit hole of non-compliant cables, exploding wall chargers and melting cables.

Can anyone recommend some decent, reasonably priced, USB-C cables in Canada in the 4-6' range that are compliant to the standard?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Wait for Black Friday and see if Amazon has a sale on their cables.

The Amazon Basics USB C cables are pretty good. Even at regular price.
Jan 30, 2013
57 posts
17 upvotes
Grab an adapter and use your existing Micro USB cables if you are really using it for charging only. I have been using that for more than a year, nothing has blown up yet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)