Cell Phones

USB-C , the end of Apple's Lightning port finally? Maybe ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2015 8:40 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Has anyone else signed up to use USB-C? Standard is nice and all, but if nobody else uses it, the cost will still stay high. You buy a relatively high priced cable that you can't use with anything else you own. Sounds similar to proprietary. :)
Sort of makes sense. Rumours are that Apple developed USB-C internally at the same time they were developing Lightning. They kept Lightning for themselves and submitted the other port to IEC and USB-IF as a possible "next gen" USB standard. Some people are phrasing it as "Apple invented USB-C" but I think that is intentionally inflammatory. I think it is more accurate to say that what became USB-C was initially developed in house at Apple and that they decided to submit the specs to IEC/USB-IF and it was accepted as the next iteration. Other companies that contribute engineers to the USB consortium will obviously have had input on the final specs.

Compared to every other USB version, USB-C is very "Apple-like" and seems to mesh well with goals Apple has had for connectors in the past but that USB hasn't. It can replace many ports on PC and laptops, including video port. That's something Apple has done with their ports in the past but that USB never has. It also looks more "Apple-like" than others.

Which is all sort of funny. If USB-C supersedes Lightning on Apple products, it will simply a case of one Apple developed technology replacing another.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
rabbit wrote: Has anyone else signed up to use USB-C? Standard is nice and all, but if nobody else uses it, the cost will still stay high. You buy a relatively high priced cable that you can't use with anything else you own. Sounds similar to proprietary. :)
According to the SuperSite For Windows..
USB-C is exciting new technology, and it probably won't be too long until just about every laptop comes with USB-C ports. (Google's new Chromebook Pixel, also announced this week, features two USB-C ports.) USB-C is a huge step forward for the USB consortium..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Keigotw wrote:
If you have that requirement; you're not in the market for the new USB-C equipped MacBook.
Nov 27, 2009
327 posts
41 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: Lol why do you say that? Because it runs on the new and superior core m?

I'm not a fan of macbooks but I won't go spouting nonsense like thag
Are you kidding me with this Atom V2 CPU?

Anyone buying a serious notebook should avoid Atom CPUs
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
I would take a Mac Air any day over this.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
whistlepig wrote: According to the SuperSite For Windows
One writer's opinion, but I guess it's a start, with the Pixel. At least Google doesn't try to pull the wool over your eyes, by adding a couple of USB-A ports, in addition to USB-C.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1400 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
It's pretty close to the performance of a mobile i3 or i5, and with a low TDP of 4.5 watts. Impressive.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
cddc wrote: Are you kidding me with this Atom V2 CPU?
Anyone buying a serious notebook should avoid Atom CPUs
You're looking at it the wrong way. This is not a chip designed for Photoshop.

Intel Core M-5Y70 @ 1.10GHz

Passmark 3096
4.5W TDP
No fan
12h battery life

With 8GB RAM and an SSD, and you have a super-thin, silent laptop that will handle what the majority of people need it to do.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 27, 2009
327 posts
41 upvotes
JAC wrote: You're looking at it the wrong way. This is not a chip designed for Photoshop.

Passmark 3096
4.5W TDP
No fan
12h battery life

With 8GB RAM and an SSD, and you have a super-thin, silent laptop that will handle what the majority of people need it to do.
I don't think so. I said this crappy thing is an iPad with keyboard, or a netbook at most.

If you want an iPad, go for it. But don't expect it to run Photoshop smoothly, coz it is a NETBOOK at most. Also, without fans inside you should be able to fry an egg on it, if you really want to run any CPU-intensive jobs.

So if you want a REAL notebook, try to look for something else that carries an Intel i3/i5/i7 CPU and good ventilation design (i.e. with fans inside).
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
cddc wrote: I don't think so. I said this crappy thing is an iPad with keyboard, or a netbook at most.
You apparently don't understand how little horsepower is required for most computing tasks, and how big a role an SSD plays in the performance of a system.
If you want an iPad, go for it. But don't expect it to run Photoshop smoothly, coz it is a NETBOOK at most. Also, without fans inside you should be able to fry an egg on it, if you really want to run any CPU-intensive jobs.
Like I clearly stated, and you obviously failed to read, this is not a chip for Photoshop. You also fail to grasp how little heat this chip will generate with a 4.5W TDP.
So if you want a REAL notebook, try to look for something else that carries an Intel i3/i5/i7 CPU and good ventilation design (i.e. with fans inside).
Oh, like the Intel Core i3-4025U, with a Passmark score of 2866? Or perhaps the Intel Core i5-4200U, with a Passmark score of 3273? Or an Intel Core i7-4500U with a Passmark of 3842? All of which have a TDP three times that of the Core M, by the way.

It seems to me you're thinking in terms of desktop CPU power, and have no real understanding of how much the consumer-grade notebook chips have been detuned to reduce heat and power consumption. Perhaps you should take a break, do a little reading, and come back when you're better informed. And don't bother arguing price, either. It's an Apple, and we all know about the Apple tax.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 27, 2009
327 posts
41 upvotes
JAC wrote: You apparently don't understand how little horsepower is required for most computing tasks, and how big a role an SSD plays in the performance of a system.

Like I clearly stated, and you obviously failed to read, this is not a chip for Photoshop. You also fail to grasp how little heat this chip will generate with a 4.5W TDP.

Oh, like the Intel Core i3-4025U, with a Passmark score of 2866? Or perhaps the Intel Core i5-4200U, with a Passmark score of 3273? Or an Intel Core i7-4500U with a Passmark of 3842? All of which have a TDP three times that of the Core M, by the way.

It seems to me you're thinking in terms of desktop CPU power, and have no real understanding of how much the consumer-grade notebook chips have been detuned to reduce heat and power consumption. Perhaps you should take a break, do a little reading, and come back when you're better informed. And don't bother arguing price, either. It's an Apple, and we all know about the Apple tax.
You are right. I would take a serious notebook any day over these crappy NETBOOKs. Besides, notebooks nowadays can usually last longer than netbooks do due to their bigger batteries. I don't care about an extra 0.5 pound, but I do hate that a so-called-computer can only be used to do book reading and web surfing. Why not buy an iPad at half of the price for these simple tasks. It can also last long and be light to carry.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1400 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
cddc wrote: I don't think so. I said this crappy thing is an iPad with keyboard, or a netbook at most.

The processor performance is there for a NOTEBOOK - it's almost the same as MacBook Air. There is very little heat generated (1/3rd of the MacBook Air), so it runs cool and doesn't require noisy fans. Battery life is as good as the MacBook Air.

If you want to run Photoshop smoothly, a notebook isn't the best solution. A luggable laptop would perform better, or better yet, a desktop with a quad core hyperthreaded I7 and discrete GPU.
Dec 8, 2014
474 posts
81 upvotes
Westmount, QC
So will the performance of the new macbook be on par with the current macbook air offerings? I like the design but not digging the single usb c input.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
I thought that's what ipad + keyboard is suppose to be ?
JAC wrote: You're looking at it the wrong way. This is not a chip designed for Photoshop.

Passmark 3096
4.5W TDP
No fan
12h battery life

The sweetest gyal
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes

gee, if only Apple thought of that. They would probably decide to make another laptop that offered more power. It would be almost like they would think "hey, why don't we have two lines to choose from".

Is the new Macbook as powerful as others, like the Macbook Pro? No. Duh. It isn't supposed to be. It's for a different target market, one that wants portability at the expense for some compute power, but not nearly a crippled netbook (regardless of the 2nd grade hyperbole).