• Jul 17th, 2017 3:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2292 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto

USB cable questions

I need a cable like this that I found on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Duttek-Splitter-C ... B06Y2B7NQD

Is there really a difference in cable for USB 3.0 and 2.0? The device is 3.0, will this work?

Do they make a longer cable where instead of the USB female there is a male Micro B end? I'm thinking one less connection would make for fewer potential problems. $10.99 seems a bit expensive - saw some similar on ebay for 1/3 the price but shipped from China that will take a while to get. (I've got other things I can buy on Amazon to get the free shipping)
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2751 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
USB 3.0 has more pins. There is definitely a difference.

However, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible to 2.0 so it should work.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you just looking for an extension cable?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2292 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:53 am
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you just looking for an extension cable?
Thanks, more pins makes me think it won't work as well.

I've got a ThinkVision LT1423p wireless monitor. Lenovo didn't update the wireless drivers for Win10. So the monitor won't work in wireless mode. At least that is my understanding (Lenovo forums) unless I can change settings somewhere to use Win8 mode (my thoughts).
It will work as a wired monitor which is supported under Win10. See page 1-7 of the user manual https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/visu ... _ug_en.pdf
Lenovo did update the drivers for the wired version of the monitor. I wanted to use it for touch and pen input with my desktop.

I bought this used before I upgraded to Win10 - it did not come with the Y cable. (Lenovo part 03T8474 that I can't find anywhere; @george__ suggested I can use a generic replacement.)
I've got the one cable that has a Male USB 3.0 A on one end and the Male Micro USB B on the other. When I try that alone, the monitor says there is not enough power. Connecting to USB seems to disable the battery in the monitor.
So I either need Y cable extension or a cable that will work. e.g. USB 3 A male + USB 2 A male to USB 3 Micro B
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2751 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
USB 3.0 has two rows of pins. The front row is identical in configuration to USB 2.0. That is how it is backward compatible.

I suggest you try the monitor again using the Windows 8 drivers on Windows 10
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2292 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
ghost1001 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:23 am
Was it a micro 3.0? Generic cables should work.
Micro B
The cable you showed should work instead of a Y extension, a few feet longer would be nice to come up and over the desk.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1162 posts
760 upvotes
Richmond
I have a ThinkVision LT1423p before. It will actually work fine with just USB 2.0 (as in I can't notice any performance issue or lag). And it does work with Windows 10.

I think you should just plug it in and see. The power side isn't strictly necessary. If your motherboard provide smooth power it will work perfectly fine. I only had problem with it on one of the computer out of the three when plugging only the data one in. Your mileage may vary of course.

Overall, don't buy the cable. Just plug it in and see if it work. I think it will work fine. Mine did.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2292 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
ID01 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:12 pm
I have a ThinkVision LT1423p before.
Overall, don't buy the cable. Just plug it in and see if it work. I think it will work fine. Mine did.
Wired or wireless version?
Lenovo only updated the drivers for the wired version to Win 10.
I did try it with the single USB 3 male to micro B and the screen kept flashing that it needed the second connection.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Jul 17th, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1162 posts
760 upvotes
Richmond
Wired. Though wireless verison using wired mode really isn't much different. Beside having battery.

Probably not Micro B, you should try the full cable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2292 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
OK,
(Sorry I was editing my post while you were responding)
I've got the cable on the right, don't have the one on the left.