Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto

usb gps

hi, i am in the market for a cheap gps, but also considering usb gps that you stick to laptops via usb

has anybody used them? are they as reliable as regular gps? anything i should watch out for?

the reason why i am considering usb gps is because it's more flexible in terms of software and hopefully can be used outside of north america too

on a related note, has anybody bought from canadagps.com? how reliable are they? was thinking about this: http://www.canadagps.com/CanmoreGT-730F.html
1 reply
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
I used USB GPS long time ago with my PocketPC and laptop. They worked OK. However you have to have a copy of the map installed on your laptop. Problem is that you have to connect the GPS, power up the laptop set your destination etc. Then, when finish, disconnect the GPS, power down laptop etc.. The cycle comes again every time I use it.

Then I used Bluetooth GPS which is wireless and a lot better. Still have the Belkin and QStarz 51 Channel Bluetooth GPS collecting dust. Pro for using it with laptop is the bigger screen.

Just got a Garmin a year ago for convenience.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)